Question Low level spriest and mana issues

Here's teh armory to my new spriest I trolled: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...kclergy/simple

I've been encountering issues while leveling through dungeons where I'm burning through mana quite fast during trash and some boss pulls.

Mana pots at low level suck since they don't keep up with the mana levels BoA's (read +int) give and the fact they are 10 levels apart for each diff type.

Most times my rotation is:

- PW:S
    - Mind Blast
    - Devouring Plague
    - Mind Flay
    - with the occasional Holy Fire n Smite tossed in since I don't have Shadowform yet.

Is this something that's normal or am I just doing something completely wrong here?

Thanks for any help.

It's normal to have mana issues with Spriests around that level. As you said you don't even have shadowform yet so therefore missing alot of the mana regain abilities. Also devouring plaque costs the most amount of mana and shouldn't be used all the time at low level, if you want a smoother run. Also you don't need to cast PW:S unless you are getting hit very soon or already getting hit, especialy now that the duration is only 15 sec (thanks to the shield spamming disc priests)
    Last edited by Cattack; 2011-09-06 at 02:38 PM.

Shouldn't you have Shadow Word: Death by now? The glyph is the key and made huge difference for me The talented instant damage of DP made it totally worth it for me (I continued playing dot-priest all the way even after getting mind spike)
    Samin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashrana View Post
    So, what would be your reaction, if you found out, that come cata release first patch, blizzard were planning to kill everyone by sending a bear through the mail?

If all you're interested in doing is levelling up quickly, I'd suggest using your 2nd talent tree as an Evangelism/Archangel/Atonement Disc spec and run with that, damage is still great and you get free heals (plus faster queues), and I find you pretty much never run out of mana at that point if you just stick to holy fire and smite. Once you're in the 40s you can go back to Shadow and keep mana up with SW: Death from the Masochism talent (glyph of spirit tap is alright but it won't solve all your problems).

Missing so much of Shadow's innate mana regeneration at low levels does suck though, and if you're not patient enough to drink all the time (I know I'm not), then Disc is probably the way to go, for now at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Estarliia View Post
    If all you're interested in doing is levelling up quickly, I'd suggest using your 2nd talent tree as an Evangelism/Archangel/Atonement Disc spec and run with that, damage is still great and you get free heals (plus faster queues), and I find you pretty much never run out of mana at that point if you just stick to holy fire and smite. Once you're in the 40s you can go back to Shadow and keep mana up with SW: Death from the Masochism talent (glyph of spirit tap is alright but it won't solve all your problems).

Missing so much of Shadow's innate mana regeneration at low levels does suck though, and if you're not patient enough to drink all the time (I know I'm not), then Disc is probably the way to go, for now at least.
    Tried Masochism, didn't find it worth the points, also Spirit Tap helped much, only had mana problems when mobs didn't give exp (e.g. golems in burning steppes)
    Samin
    So, what would be your reaction, if you found out, that come cata release first patch, blizzard were planning to kill everyone by sending a bear through the mail?

Quote Originally Posted by Hammahtime View Post
    Just picked it up but haven't been in a dungeon yet to use it (learned it before logging off last night).
    Just try to snipe off as many almost dead mobs as possible. Trash shouldn't be a problem, bosses actually are a bit annoying and still continues after shadow form actually. My recommendation is to do less dungeons as shadow :>
    Samin

grrrrr....stupid forums....I go to delete 1 of 2 double posts and it deleted both....

---------- Post added 2011-09-06 at 09:47 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Estarliia View Post

I suck as heals so no chance of me doing this. Thanks for teh info

I do not know how this is now, but when i level my priest you were using the wand for last 30% or so....this way you are already regegnarting mana before the fight even ends...

But I think main part of wanding was to get out of 5-sec-rule when you get the spirit buff. And if i recall correctly both are not in the game anymore. But maybe just give it a try. The mobs might take longer but maybe downtime is reduced and it feels overall more "fluid"

I used Discipline for everything until 80. If you want no struggle, just go with Disc. Tried Shadow when I hit 35, but it was such a nuisance even questing, that I didn't even try in dungeons.
    Now, when you hit the 80 wall, disc comes from the most awesome spec to the most hard one, so then I switched to Shadow for damage, but since I never stepped in dungeons, due the fact gear sucked at that moment of cata, I never changed my healing to Holy.

Deleted
    Disc is a lot easier for mana, and I found it had higher dps results up till ~level 50. You dont need to heal with it, just go as a dps with it and see what happens.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammahtime View Post
    I suck as heals so no chance of me doing this. Thanks for teh info
    Its not only for healing, go disc for dps. Its simply better until around lvl68-70 when you go Northend, then switch to shadow.

Quote Originally Posted by sahtila View Post
    Its not only for healing, go disc for dps. Its simply better until around lvl68-70 when you go Northend, then switch to shadow.
    Okay I'll try this then.

Thanks to everyone for all the info

Roll Disc until you get the mana talents and you'll do more damage and have no mana issues.