GTX590/HD6990 double gpu, crossfire/sli in window mode

so, i gonna go with one of these cards for my comp, and i decided on one card instead of sli/crossfire because i've learned that as long as you use window mode or dualscreen it can only use one of the cards effectivly. i use 2-3 screens at all times and usually i do seperate stuff on each of them.

however since the new gtx590 and hd6990 both have double gpu's will the same happen? can it only use one of the gpu's when i run something in dualscreen or windowmode?
    Last edited by Clut; 2011-09-06 at 07:18 PM.

A 6990 / 590 is the same as doing an SLI / Crossfire setup since they are dual GPU's. It would be more cost effective to go with either a 6970 cross fire or a 570 SLI for either the same performance or even better in some cases.

IIRC WoW support for crossfire / SLI isn't the best, so I would recommend a single GPU solution (such at a 6970)

see thread : http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ossfire-or-SLI

10+ Year Old Account
    It really depends on the game. SLI is supported by most games in windowed mode. Xfire is supported in most DX11 game, or so I hear.

Save yourself the headache and get a 580
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

I use a EVGA GTX 590 and have no problems with the SLI, EVGA has SLI enhancement patches for games not designed to run SLI. I don't run in windowed mode so can't comment on that

I have a 465 GTX and I run wow fine in windowed mode.

590 is a poor choice to sli, it runs into severe bottlenecking. Id go with 2 480's

I have a single GTX 560 TI that I run in windowed mode as part of a dual monitor set up. WoW runs at maxed 60 fps and at ultra settings on 1080p resolution. At some point, I'll be buying another 560 TI and another monitor to run SLI.

i will note that this multi-monitor set up requires that WoW run in windowed mode on the 'primary' monitor for it to run well. Maybe getting a 580 or 590 would be enough to prevent this, but somehow I think its just the way the game will run. The other parts of my system would not cause this to happen, as it is a 6 week old custom built rig.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliveros View Post
    590 is a poor choice to sli, it runs into severe bottlenecking. Id go with 2 480's
    Those things are hot enough in single card configuration, 5xx series are so much better in that regards

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockblock View Post
    Those things are hot enough in single card configuration, 5xx series are so much better in that regards
    The newer coolers on the 480's solve a lot of the severe temperature issues the old 480's had.
    But yeah I'd take e.g. 2x 570's over 2x 480's any day.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze