Poll: How do you level your characters?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Leveling in RPGs.

While I'm playing my shiny new Disgaea 4, I had a realization that I always end up leveling one character hardcore, and neglecting everyone else. Pokemon, Disgaea, Final Fantasy (well, the 3 party members I leveled, neglecting the others...), etc, it's always the same for me.

How do you approach leveling your characters in RPG games? One uber character? Or evenly distributed? Or do you not even touch RPGs?

10+ Year Old Account
    Usually I try to lvl everyone evenly, but sometimes it can be tedious and in the end I'll just level one, two or three people to insanity and neglect the others.

I'd give you an inch, you'd take me a mile, your tail wagging happily all the while.

Well for poke'mon I always set goals for what levels I want my party at. Usually the uber character has about 2 level lead for the strong guys, but i keep everyone else pretty even.

I try to keep everything the same.

Like in pokemon, one thing will get level 50 then i wont use that one until the rest of my team is also level 50.

Quote Originally Posted by Skelington View Post
    I try to keep everything the same.

Like in pokemon, one thing will get level 50 then i wont use that one until the rest of my team is also level 50.
    Pretty much how I played Pokemon too.

I try to keep my core group more or less the same, but I will focus on one person in that group more than the others. FFVII I made cloud my badass, but kept tifa/vincent strong since they were my core group (gogo cloud with mastered counterattack/cover for insane amounts of damage).

10+ Year Old Account
    try to do evenly but get bored of it

I try to level evenly, in Pokemon at least. My current team are all in the 70's right now, but I don't have any gym leaders or really anyone left to battle NPC wise, so I'm leveling up Pokemon I would like to use to at least 70, my highest is 78 right now. When I was still facing gym leaders I'd get them all to a certain level then face the gym leader, so on and so forth.

In the pokemon games, I played them all only leveling my starter Pokemon and nothing else. I wasn't sure thats how to play, but I beat all the games using my starter pokemon only, I didn't know about trying to level others, I just wanted to play using the one pokemon. After playing Final fantasy series tho I stopped with the One character thing, but you're not alone OP I did it as well :P

An example would be I'd be on the third badge in Pokemon, their pokemon are about levels 20-24 and my Starter guy would be level 38-42 :P

Quote Originally Posted by FearGX View Post
    In the pokemon games, I played them all only leveling my starter Pokemon and nothing else. I wasn't sure thats how to play, but I beat all the games using my starter pokemon only, I didn't know about trying to level others, I just wanted to play using the one pokemon. After playing Final fantasy series tho I stopped with the One character thing, but you're not alone OP I did it as well :P

An example would be I'd be on the third badge in Pokemon, their pokemon are about levels 20-24 and my Starter guy would be level 38-42 :P
    I used to do the same, back in R/B/Y leveling was a task and a half, going back to play those is a chore. O.O Until you can get to Cinnabar Island and use the Rare Candy cheat.

I evenly distribute experience to my group, it keep the content challenging by not over leveling the main group/dude and it allows me to try new gameplay styles, I always try to enjoy the journey.

Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    I used to do the same, back in R/B/Y leveling was a task and a half, going back to play those is a chore. O.O Until you can get to Cinnabar Island and use the Rare Candy cheat.
    Yeah, ah it brings back memories. I actually remember finding the MissingNo glitch completely by chance, and I remember first encountering one and I was like WTH. I went to school the next day as usual, playing pokemon in the yard during break and showed my friends I caught this weird MissingNo thing and I had kids throwing lunch money at me asking where to get one, true story :P

Only years later did I realize it was a glitch in the game :>

I like rpgs when i control one player. like diablo

Most of the western RPGs don't have this problem, most of the times the entire group levels evenly anyway.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

10+ Year Old Account
    As much as I try, I always end up with one or two characters that are much higher than the rest, especially in pokemon

Usually, I've got one team above all the rest. I feel bad for the guys I don't ever use though. :/

It starts out evenly, but usually ends up with one person getting more, which I'm OK with. If one groupie has at least very good stats, level, and gear, then it would be hard to have a full wipe.

Depending on the game, at least one would be able to drag the dead people back to town, be able to get away, or protect the group to prevent death.

It's kind of fun anyways playing favorites.

10+ Year Old Account
    I usually create a small crack commando squad of ludicrously OP characters (generally the ones whose character design or class mechanic appeals to me) and then leave all of the others to completely rot.

Of course, there's also usually some mechanic at some point where the team is split up and you're supposed to use every character. So then I'm stuck with one team roflstomping everything, while the other ones struggle through their section like a group of preschoolers dumped into an episode of Man vs. Wild.

In a game where I'm forced to choose, I always level just one character, or one group of characters. One properly built level 50 will always beat 5 level 10s, barring some kind of instant death mechanic, which high level characters are immune to in most games anyway. This also goes for one time use power up items as well, I always choose to focus those on the main character.

Deleted
    If it's Pokémon that I'm playing I'll always try to have all my pokemon at the same level, with my starter maybe being 2-3 levels ahead, just incase that one battle gets extra hard. Final fantasy I try to evenly distribute levels to have them all equal.