Is my Graphics Card fried?

Throughout the last 2-3 weeks I have been having issues with my graphics card. Three times now my computer has refused to start up and beeps at me instead (2 short 1 long). The last two times I took it out of the computer and cleaned off any dust I could find, and somehow it would work after that. This latest time it will not work at all. The computer works perfectly fine if I don't use the graphics card.

In the past i have had over-heating issues in certain games such as SC2/league of legends. My FPS would drop to approximately 5 from 60 with the card running hot but would then go back to normal in about half a minute.

I'm pretty sure I'm just screwed, but figured I would ask around on a few forums to see if there's some way to fix it before I consider buying a new one. The card is a 9600 GSO if it matters at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    try plugging out your graphics card and start it up
    if it works then your graphics card is broked

Quote Originally Posted by Blizark View Post
    My FPS would drop to approximately 5 from 60 with the card running hot but would then go back to normal in about half a minute.
    Sounds like 2 things:

1) Overheating
    2) Burnt out / really cheap power supply

If the card isn't loading now that's all i can think of.

sadly it does sound like your card. How old is it? How often do you take compressed air to the innards of your machine? What kind of ower supply do you have?

cards do die after so much usage sadly. Kind of the nature of electronics, use em for countless hours hen one day they decide life is no longer entertaining and they perform some manner of silicone suicide. Dust build up in the fans/heatsinks/sockets/etc when low is just a nuisance, but excess build up over an extended period of time forces the card to overwork, the fans to overwork, generally like forcing one of those 900 pound people who are stuck in bed to up and run a marathon. Poor maintenance can easilly cut your computer parts life in half. Lastly an incompatible PSU can be harmfu, though more to your PSU than your card. I run with a nvidia geforce 560 Ti which asks for something like 500-600w of power. After you add up all the voltage required for everything else (optical, HDD, Motherboard, ram, cpu, etc) you should typically overshoot your GPU's voltage requirement by 100 or more.