Thread: help me

10+ Year Old Account

help me

So basically i just hit 85 and im really struggling with dps, 11k-14k on a good day and sumhow 17k once.

Im not sure what im doing wrong, but on average im an 11-12k dps, and i know i supposedly need like 2400 haste as a goblin ( not sure how thats possible pre raid ) but i know im doing the rotation right but i just cant figure out!

3 dots up, mb on cd, swd at 25%

also holy bawls mana is a pain!

anyway any tips you could give me would be much appreciated, its really depressing struggling as much as i am.

my toon is laserbeam of nathrezim us if it helps.

Deleted
    tip 1 use the search function, there are a hundered of similar threads
    tip 2 link a combat log so we can analyse your playstyle

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by exekias View Post
    So basically i just hit 85 and im really struggling with dps, 11k-14k on a good day and sumhow 17k once.

Im not sure what im doing wrong, but on average im an 11-12k dps, and i know i supposedly need like 2400 haste as a goblin ( not sure how thats possible pre raid ) but i know im doing the rotation right but i just cant figure out!

3 dots up, mb on cd, swd at 25%

also holy bawls mana is a pain!

anyway any tips you could give me would be much appreciated, its really depressing struggling as much as i am.

my toon is laserbeam of nathrezim us if it helps.
    Firstly let me say that I only occasionally play shadow, but have played priest for a long time.

Mana issues should not be happening. Work shadow word Death into a rotation so you regain mana that way. Dont be afraid to actually use archangel occasionally to regain mana either.

Multi dotting is the obvious method of scaling up your dps. Ensuring you keep empowered shadow activated at all times too are easy rookie mistakes.
    DPS meters need to be taken into context with spriests. Multi target fights can boost your dps considerably.

I'm sure the shadow priest tutorial stickies in the forum can give loads more helpful info.

Also, invest in filling up the rest of your glyphs.

I'd have a look at your spec but cannot access battle.net currently where i am.
    Last edited by mmocdf76e21f54; 2011-09-07 at 09:24 AM. Reason: links and emphasis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sickopath View Post
    Firstly let me say that I only occasionally play shadow, but have played priest for a long time.

Mana issues should not be happening. Work shadow word Death into a rotation so you regain mana that way. Dont be afraid to actually use archangel occasionally to regain mana either.

Multi dotting is the obvious method of scaling up your dps. Ensuring you keep empowered shadow activated at all times too are easy rookie mistakes.
    DPS meters need to be taken into context with spriests. Multi target fights can boost your dps considerably.

I'm sure the shadow priest tutorial stickies in the forum can give loads more helpful info.

Also, invest in filling up the rest of your glyphs.

I'd have a look at your spec but cannot access battle.net currently where i am.
    yeah i know about multi dotting, not alot of those in heroics atm. and mana issues have been getting better.
    ive read the spriest tutorial and i have the rotation and stat weights down, idk if its a haste thing / gearing up but im just bleh.

you migh want to get major glyph of spirit tap.

1. mana being a problem: do you use fiend on every cd? eventually make use of Masochism

2. dps vs gear, haste cap - i dont think anyone expects you to have all the caps and dps as high as wol toppers, before getting gear from raiding instances.

as for the dps rotation, there is shadow pve guide here as sticky, you may want to have a look at it

Whenever you cast instant casts strafe a bit until the globals are done and you are going to cast again for extra shadowy apparitions

Make sure empowered shadows is always up when you refresh/cast VT and DP(also don't clip them before they are going to fall off timing is everything)

SW:P will refresh every time mind flay resets its duration and have any procs you get but the other two don't so although you don't want to recast one at full duration when a power torrent proc happens there are times you can do it slightly early as the proc of whatever type is about to fall off. With the theralion's mirror mastery proc you can mind blast(with at least one orb always) and get the extra dot damage for the full emp shadows duration after the proc is gone and you can get a second set of dots off it before refreshing emp shadows extending the usefulness of mastery and int procs a lot.

SW: D can be used for mana even above 25% if you are in need and its a better choice then dispersion(last resort/oh shit button to save you from death)

Get Gnosis(or a cast bar mod that shows the ticks of mind flay and mind sear) you never want to cast a full mind flay to the end as latency makes you lose dps you always clip it just after the last black line(or whatever color you make it) it adds the partial to the next mind flay so you get it with no latency in between the two, also clip it in that spot for mind blast(+1 or more orbs) and dot refreshing.

Make sure you are using fiend as a dps CD at the start and off every CD, not only will you get back more mana overall but he does a fair bit of dps even without the shadow t12 2 set (you should be using a chunk of mana at the start anyway so you wont be wasting the fiend)

Lastly make sure to get best use out of Dark Archangel, you want to use it asap at the start but once dots are all set up and such so you have the most time to spam flay and blast especially since by then all your procs should be going on. If you know you can only get in one more AA and its not yet <25% wait for that because its a lot of damage for SW: D

Lots of great tips here. I would strongly recommend starting with the basics (figuring out your opening rotation, getting used to/recognizing refreshing dots in regard to priority) Don't overly stress about refreshing dots at the last second (I believe it's any time in the last 5 sec for vt, and no penalty for refreshing DP early, other than the mana cost). After you get that down work on the finesse of doing stuff like extending mastery buffs and making use of PT procs and what not.

Mana will be an issue at low gear levels, getting two piece T12 solves most of that problem tho. Before then, I would certainly include SWD in your rotation.

Addons can help. You need to track dots, and recognize when you have empowered shadows, 5 stacks evangelism and when things come off cooldown. But again, I recommend adding things one at a time, and see what works for you. if/when you get a dot/buff timer, make sure you clean it up so you don't get confused by too many bars.

10+ Year Old Account
    there were alot of great tips, and not to be rude to some, i read the stickies and new the rotation and obviously to use archangel and shadowfiend.
    But with new gear, and more haste, came higher dps, so looks like i just need to keep diggin at it =)
    thanks everyone.

My only dislike is how reliant the dps is on Mind blast orb spike damage.

11-14k, and you just hit 85?

I have nothing to say, except, you're doing fine...

What was the struggle, again?

;>)