Thread: CPU Upgrade

Deleted

CPU Upgrade

Hey all!, I've been lurking here for a while, and finally decided to register to post a quick question about a potential upgrade.

Here are my Current System Specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon II 640 Quad Core at 3.0GHz
    GPU: ATI Radeon HD5770
    RAM: 4Gb of 1600MHz

Basically I'm planning on getting a GTX570, or ATI HD6970 for my Bday (early Dec).
    But before then, since I have some cash at hand I was thinking about upgrading my CPU. From what I know the Athlon series is very much the 'budget model' of AMD CPUs. So, anyway, I was thinking of upgrading to the Phenom series, and I was wondering what the most highly recommended version was, and whether the hex-core version was worth the extra cost.

Unfortunately I really cannot afford the move to Intel (more expensive CPU + new motherboard).
    I will mainly be using my comp for gaming (BF3 + Skyrim) and some photoshop.
    I live in the UK, if that helps .

Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition. Basically, everything from 955 to 980 is the same chip and the multiplier is unlocked, so you can change it by yourself and get the 980's frequency. Though you might want to get a Hyper 212+ cooler if you are going to overclock it, because the stock cooler is not very good.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2011-09-07 at 11:47 AM.

PhenomII x4 955 is usually best AM3 CPU in price/performance ratio. But difference between that and what you have is not too big, around 20% in most games so it's probably not worth the money.

6-cores are complete waste of money for gaming use, since the amount of mainstream games that use more than 2-3 cores is about one or two...
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Thanks for the fast replies!
    I'll probably consider getting a new CPU again when System requirements come out for BF3/Skyrim, or maybe benchmarks on the Beta.
    Alos, would I need to up my PSU from a 600W for these upgrades?

Quote Originally Posted by Majorai View Post
    Alos, would I need to up my PSU from a 600W for these upgrades?
    PSU is more about the actual quality of it instead of straight wattage numbers. Looking at fictional number of 700W cheap-ass $30 PSU can measure 700W as peak power and have 300W sustained power, while $130 PSU might actually have 700W sustained power and 800W peak.

300W sustained power is at the lower safe limit of running modern CPU and GTX570 for example, and will most likely kill a $30 PSU when pushed hard enough.

So... can you give details on the brand/model and how old the PSU is?
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

6000-series card in December? I believe the 7000-series will be out by then, maybe even earlier.

And if you're getting a new CPU, just upgrade to a 4x Phenom II, for example the BE 980.

Quote Originally Posted by RawrBeef View Post
    And if you're getting a new CPU, just upgrade to a 4x Phenom II, for example the BE 980.
    No point 'upgrading' to what is essentially three years old technology.

And the thing about price/performance I mentioned... 980BE is approximately 15% faster than 955 (in games 5-15% faster). While current prices in Newegg are $120 for 955 vs $170 for 980. 40% more price, 15% more power...

Not a good deal considering the difference in games can be summarized to "50 or 55 fps" between the two processors. (And OP's current Athlon 640 would be at 45fps).
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2011-09-07 at 05:33 PM.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    PSU is more about the actual quality of it instead of straight wattage numbers. Looking at fictional number of 700W cheap-ass $30 PSU can measure 700W as peak power and have 300W sustained power, while $130 PSU might actually have 700W sustained power and 800W peak.

300W sustained power is at the lower safe limit of running modern CPU and GTX570 for example, and will most likely kill a $30 PSU when pushed hard enough.

So... can you give details on the brand/model and how old the PSU is?
    My Current PSU is a "Corsair CMPSU-600CXv2 Builder Series 600W Power Supply".

I heard about the new 7000 series cards coming late this year/early 2012, but I wasn't sure if they'd be over my budget for a GPU (around £250).

Deleted
    What Motherboard are you using? Some of the older AMD chipsets such as 760g or 880 will support Bulldozer which will be here this month at some point so might be worth your while waiting on that before making any decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorai View Post
    My Current PSU is a "Corsair CMPSU-600CXv2 Builder Series 600W Power Supply".
    That will be fine for the upgrades you were looking at.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    I'm using an ASUS M4A78LT-M mobo, which I Believe is a 760g chipset?

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    That will be fine for the upgrades you were looking at.
    Good to hear