Still unsure on a motherboard.

Hey everyone.

I'm still putting together a list for a new computer. The one part I can't settle on is a motherboard.

What are some good LGA 1155 motherboards by intel, with three or four PCIe x16 slots, triple channel memory and plenty of USBs? I've got a couple in mind but I want to see what the good people here can help me find

Looking at ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard right now because I dig the price, but wish it had another slot or so.

Also dual-channel vs. triple-channel. Can someone give me the skinny on that?
    Last edited by Dayon; 2011-09-07 at 01:24 PM.

Dual-channel / Tripple-channel refers to how many memory sticks/stick lanes are used together. So on a dual-channel board, you'll have 4 slots, and you would install 2 pairs of memory sticks. And in tripple channel, you would have 6 slots, and you would install 2 triplets of memory sticks.

Do you plan on using more the one graphics card? And I'd be wary about getting hyped up about lots of USB ports, because i nall honesty, how many are you even using right now? Three, four? Just get a board that has what you need.
    Last edited by jonny888; 2011-09-07 at 01:42 PM.

Planning on using two GTX 590s at one point. And I'm using like six USBs right now. Just wanted to bounce some ideas off of the forum.

Well I think you can safetly guarantee that any board you pick will have enough USB ports.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131730

That would give you an extra PCI-E lane, and doesn't really cost much more.

10+ Year Old Account
    2 GTX590 need 2 PCI-E slots. And you can't add another 590. Are you going to use more than 2 PCI-E slots, or you just want them?]
    Most motherboards have more than 6 USB ports(or have controllers for more) + 2/4 ports on the case.
    Dual/Triple Channel depends on the CPU. What CPU you'll be using?

Deleted
    as far as i know there isnt even a triple channel 1155 socket Mobo ( requires intel I5/7 series )

I rly like the asus brand. They got some quality boards, with decent pricing
    but that Asus maximus motherboard is the bom wish the prices were that low in my country

edit: how about the

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO?
    2X PCIe 2.0 x1
    3x PCIe 2.0 x16

8x USB 2.0
    2x USB 3.0
    if i read it right
    Last edited by mmocb41f24af64; 2011-09-07 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny888 View Post
    Well I think you can safetly guarantee that any board you pick will have enough USB ports.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131730

That would give you an extra PCI-E lane, and doesn't really cost much more.
    That did catch my eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Zkeya View Post
    2 GTX590 need 2 PCI-E slots. And you can't add another 590. Are you going to use more than 2 PCI-E slots, or you just want them?]
    Most motherboards have more than 6 USB ports(or have controllers for more) + 2/4 ports on the case.
    Dual/Triple Channel depends on the CPU. What CPU you'll be using?
    I'll be using a i7 2600k. And right now I'm looking for boards that will allow me to upgrade later on. Who knows, maybe there'll be a card that comes out that I can three-way together that would beat out two GTX 590s. It's not a vital piece of the selection process, but I'm trying to have a little foresight.