View Poll Results: Worth reading the books if you have seen the films?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    81 86.17%
  • No

    13 13.83%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
LastLast
  1. #21
    The books are FAR superior to the movies, and the only reason the movies are good is because Peter Jackson directed them. If anyone else had directed them, I don't think they would have been nearly as good as they are.

  2. #22
    IMO why bother? I mean you have seen the movies you know the story is there really a point in reading the books? Alot of people go on about how much more is in the books but tbh that stuff was left out of the movies for a reason (its fucking pointless and offten boring). So if you really want to read somthing it may aswell be somthing new i would suggest Robert Jordans Wheel of time series of A song of fire and ice series by George RR Martin (both are fantasy LotR type book series)

    BTW im not saying the books are bad iv read them i loved them but i read them before the movies so if you have seen the movies i just wouldnt bother there are so many other books you could be reading

  3. #23
    The Lightbringer
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Midwest USA
    Posts
    3,160
    I wouldn't suggest The Wheel of Time. It started off strong but OH BOY does it get tedious about halfway through.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by SilkforCalde View Post
    I wouldn't suggest The Wheel of Time. It started off strong but OH BOY does it get tedious about halfway through.
    Yeah but Knife of Dreams, The gathering Storm and Towers of Midnight (Books 11 12 and 13) are easily the 3 best books in the series and as is the final book A memory of Light is going to be amazing.

  5. #25
    I stopped reading after the fellowship. God damn some stuff in there annoyed the hell out of me.
    IMO the hobbits were much better done in the movies, in the books they were to damn happy go fucking lucky and fat, and that's just one of the things that annoyed me.

    The Hobbit is worth a read though, i went through that thing in an afternoon and felt satisfied.

  6. #26
    lotr was and is still a great read, as funny as this sounds it can be very wordy at times.

    Eragon was also a great read, reminded of lotr. Don't watch the movie though, ever.
    Last edited by FireBorne; 2011-09-10 at 02:51 AM.

  7. #27
    God yes, read them! I've ready them twice, once before and once after I saw the movies, which helped clarify some things for me as I ready them the first time while in middle school. As others have said, *a lot* of things that were cool parts of the story but not necessarily a super important part in the quest to destroy the ring were left out of the movies, particularly in the first book... a lot more happens to the hobbits before they get too far at all, but I won't spoil anything. While the movie in large part remained faithful to the books, a lot of things are different, as I said...you'll still feel like you are in middle-earth, but I can assure you, you will not feel like you are reading the script to the movies.

    I would also recommend you read The Hobbit, if you are a quick reader and have even half a day free, that is all you need to finish that book and get the backstory.

  8. #28
    One of the most epic fantasy series to be written in the last century, if not the most epic. To deny yourself the pleasure of reading them is to deny that fact.

    While the movies are undoubtedly good movies, the books are simply superb.
    Vanilla WoW was a diamond in the rough. Burning Crusade cleared the rough away and polished that diamond up. During Lich King, that diamond cracked from being over polished and in Cataclysm that diamond was replaced with a cubic zirconia.


  9. #29
    I would say yes. Without having read the rest of the responses, make sure you give it a chance; it starts off slowly, but once you get to Bree things pick up. Also, don't expect a lot of the same tone; Legolas and Gimli were still badasses, but there was no using shields as sleds down stairs, no comic relief with Gimli randomly getting tossed, etc.

    However, there's a lot of story and character that the movies just don't touch on. I loved the movies, and I loved the books, and they're both worth experiencing, but for different reasons. If you liked the movies only because of the nonstop action, you'll probably find the books a bit boring. If you loved the story of the movies and are interested in learning more about the world, stop reading this thread and start reading the books instead :-P

    Edit: Some of the stuff the movies omitted wasn't that interesting, but some of my favorite scenes, exchanges, and passages from the story were never put into the movie, mostly focusing on characters outside the fellowship... Imrahil, for instance.

    Edit2: "Nonstop action" is just a phrase I used because it evokes a particular feeling, not because I find it to be an accurate description of the movies. Please don't nitpick it, it's not that significant :-P
    Last edited by darkwarrior42; 2011-09-10 at 03:01 AM.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by FengHouzi View Post
    I am reading them right now. I am on the Return of the King. The two towers was the longest read of my life, but the third book is much better. I would recommend starting with the Hobbit, that way you start from the true beginning.
    Actually, the true beginning is the Silmarillion. It is kind of like Genesis for Middle Earth.

  11. #31
    I wouldn't bother. The movies do an excellent job of capturing the books, and without all the old-fashioned rubbish and singing.

  12. #32
    The Lightbringer
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Midwest USA
    Posts
    3,160
    Quote Originally Posted by FireBorne View Post
    lotr was and is still a great read, as funny as this sounds it can be very wordy at times.

    Eragon was also a great read, reminded of lotr. Don't watch the movie though, ever.
    Eragon is, hands down, the worst book I've ever read. I found it to be absolutely laughable. A farce. A mockery of a fantasy book. The most poorly written drivel of all time.

    ---------- Post added 2011-09-09 at 11:21 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Karteli View Post
    Worth reading, since they were very well written. They will include far more than what you can simply watch in the movies, from history, to thoughts and emotions, to details that a movie director just can't capture on film, no matter how good they are.

    Same with Harry Potter .. IMO the books and all their detail were better than the movies. There are many parts from the books that were not included in the final movies, simply because they would all be 3 hour movies (except the first movie though, I think that was pretty much spot on, and the book was short).
    The difference with Harry Potter is that J K Rowling is a talented author. J R R Tolkien was a linguist. He wasn't a writer, and it shows. The writing style in LotR is dull as hell, very textbook-esque. Every single plot conflict is solved through a deus ex machina. The characters are all one dimensional cardboard cutouts with absolutely zero character development. It's exceedingly poorly written.

  13. #33
    Fluffy Kitten Badpaladin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    ccaarrrrllllll
    Posts
    11,090
    Quote Originally Posted by SilkforCalde View Post
    The difference with Harry Potter is that J K Rowling is a talented author. J R R Tolkien was a linguist. He wasn't a writer, and it shows. The writing style in LotR is dull as hell, very textbook-esque. Every single plot conflict is solved through a deus ex machina. The characters are all one dimensional cardboard cutouts with absolutely zero character development. It's exceedingly poorly written.
    That's what I liked about it, though. I'm usually not one for stereotypical characters, but in the scope whole world of Middle-Earth was very well-visualized that didn't really matter as much. I could perfectly envision what it might have looked like before the movies ever came out. I skipped a lot of the songs (there were waythefucktoomany), but reading it like a volume of history made it fantastic for me. In fact, I enjoyed the Silmarillion even more because it was a volume of history.
    My Short Required Reading List: One. Two. || Last.fm

  14. #34
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Over there
    Posts
    247
    Read them.

    Jackson's movies were alright, but the books are better.

    1069 pages of win.

    @Silkforwhatsit - your opinion only. If they were so "exceedingly poorly written" then why were they chosen as the subject of the billion dollar film trilogy? Why does it rank as the second highest selling novel of all time? Why is "Tolkienesque" now used as a descriptive term for other works of fiction?

    As I said, your opinion. A quote:

    There are as many opinions as there are experts.
    Franklin Delano Roosevelt
    Last edited by Thingamajig; 2011-09-10 at 03:40 AM. Reason: extra stuff
    Well that's just typical. Ten minutes before the most important party of my life, and half the house has been destroyed by a giant sandwich.

  15. #35
    The Lightbringer
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Midwest USA
    Posts
    3,160
    Quote Originally Posted by Thingamajig View Post
    @Silkforwhatsit - your opinion only. If they were so "exceedingly poorly written" then why were they chosen as the subject of the billion dollar film trilogy? Why does it rank as the second highest selling novel of all time? Why is "Tolkienesque" now used as a descriptive term for other works of fiction?
    Actually an opinion that many fantasy authors share. Read the Epic Pooh essay I linked earlier in the thread from Michael Moorcock, an author that is infinitely more important to the development of the fantasy genre than Tolkien ever was.

    Why was Eragon turned into a film? Because the books were popular. Why were the LotR books popular? Well, they weren't until they had been out for decades and it was entirely due to the hippie movement. The books promote a pastoral, natural form of life and decry industrialization and technology, which is why it appealed to the hippies.

    Who cares about sales figures anyway? That's meaningless, unless you are trying to tell me that the Backstreet Boys are one of the most talented, artistic outfits of all time. Sales figures rarely correlate into quality and frequently correlate into a lack of quality. See the film Titanic for a perfect example. Miserable movie. Absolutely horrific. One of the best money makers ever. Popularity is meaningless when it comes to quality simply because most people have very little discerning taste.

    Why is tolkienesque now used as a descriptive term? Because the books sold a lot so a lot of talentless hacks (see: Terry Brooks) imitated the style to sell books. It's not a term of endearment. Most fantasy authors these days distance themselves from Tolkien. Hell, even Robert Jordan intentionally started off The Wheel of Time in a Tolkienesque style and then deliberately shifted away and went in the opposite direction after a single chapter: he was telling the world that he was not following in the footsteps of Tolkien, he was writing his own story.

    Lastly, of course I am discussing my opinions. That's devastatingly evident. Why would you feel the need to point out something so obvious? When you walk outside, do you say "look, the cloudless sky appears to be blue!"

  16. #36
    Is this a serious question? Of course you should read them, go out and buy the books. In fact, go get one of the box sets with The Hobbit included.

  17. #37
    The Patient jyoung91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    236
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyntam View Post
    Is this a serious question? Of course you should read them, go out and buy the books. In fact, go get one of the box sets with The Hobbit included.
    am the only one here who thinks the hobbit was a far better read than any of the lotr?

    Vankrin- Mal'Ganis

  18. #38
    Herald of the Titans ElAmigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Orange Park, Fl
    Posts
    2,930
    Quote Originally Posted by SilkforCalde View Post
    Eragon is, hands down, the worst book I've ever read. I found it to be absolutely laughable. A farce. A mockery of a fantasy book. The most poorly written drivel of all time.
    Could you care to elaborate?
    "Didn't we have some fun...though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said 'Goodbye' and you were like 'No way' and then I was all 'We pretended we were going to murder you'......that was great"

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by jyoung91 View Post
    am the only one here who thinks the hobbit was a far better read than any of the lotr?
    Yes, if people took off their Nerd Nostalgia glasses (of which I own a very fine, shiny pair, thank you very much), you would see that Tolkien was a pretty crappy writer as far as his ability to write a compelling story. His descriptions, while at times superb, are otherwise much too florid and poorly paced to really grip a reader and pull them in. Hats off to him for a story that has endured and is nearly-unparalleled in its richness of back story, and you should read it regardless just to get your own stance and opinions on one of the fantasy classics, but it's a truly dreadful read. A Song of Ice and Fire has forever shattered any disillusions I may have harbored about Tolkien. Just because it's epically long doesn't mean it has to drag (this coming from someone who loves reading Dostoevsky...).

    Edit: Clarifying that I agree that The Hobbit blows the trilogy out of the water as far as a well-paced story with rounded characterization.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by SilkforCalde View Post
    I'm a huge fantasy book reader. I loathe those books. They are tedious, dry, boring.
    Agree. They're best quality is how they influenced the genre. On their own, meh. Like others said though, the Hobbit is worth a read and is even better with the movies to complement it.

    There's much better reads out there. Wheel of Time. Black Company. The Renshai trilogies (fun reads). A Song of Ice and Fire (can also be dry and long winded at times, but much more intense). Mistborne. The Death Gate Cycle. Discworld... So many good choices.
    Even Steven King's Dark Tower series is great (although it's much more interesting if you're a Stephen King fan as it pulls many of his novels together). Just skip the last few chapters of the last book. Stephen King writes amazing stories but he seriously sucks at endings.
    Last edited by Ecwfrk; 2011-09-10 at 04:42 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •