Thread: Compromised :(

Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    Compromised :(

    Okay today has been a bad day.

    I was at a birthday this afternoon, suddenky an email ticked in that someone had bought 6000 microsoft point on my xbox life account.... My xbox at home is not even connected to the internet. Support closed weekend so i have to wait till monday calling them

    Well birthday finished early night, me and my wife and 2 kids went home, said goodnight to kids and turned on pc a bit for reading emails once more before sleep. i had 3 emails from google that they wanted me know that my latitude was running on a mobile phone and was sending out my location, i did jump to google latitude site and saw to my big surprise that i had checked in, in UK - Heathrow airport. i am sitting in my sofa in denmark.

    Well 5 min after a mail ticked in from RIFT support that my email has been changed then 1 min after that password has been changed

    and just right now as im writing, the access to my facebook accout has been closed because someone in hong kong has tried to access my FB account.


    What is happening here and what can i do stop this :-S

  2. #2
    Stop clicking random links and download malwarebytes from www.malwarebytes.org and scan your computer for malware/spyware.

  3. #3
    Same thing happened to me.

  4. #4
    Fluffy Kitten ForsakenFrodo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The Shire
    Posts
    3,229
    Someone caught a keylogger. Run anti virus software and if you've bought anything online recently, block your credit card. Then all you can do is wait for all the support lines to open up and wait in long queues and get everything sorted out. After that I'd suggest not to go to fishy websites and use different passwords for all your stuff and update your antivirus if you haven't. That's pretty much all you can do.

    But Happy bday, sorta, and hope you work it all out.
    League of Legends, Video Games & General Off-Topic mod. PM me with any concerns you may have.

  5. #5
    if there is something i never do, then it is clicking on random links on websites/emails.

    ill take a look on that link....

  6. #6
    Use different mails for each service, so even if your facebook related mail get hacked they won't find all your other subscriptions and accounts, e.g.

    I think in this day of age you kind of have to use a separate mail and password for each game, site, e.g. to make sure it does not spread when one is hacked.

    What you can do to stop it now is to take back control of each lost account, contact support, e.g. then change the password and security question/answer and preferably mail. Also format machine and don't click random links or install things websites wants you to install, avoid doing that.


    Aeryana: "Gentlemen, we have a highlander."

  7. #7
    this sux, i have never tried this stuff before

    ive just called my bank and closed my card, i idid use it earlier today setup subscription for wow, but nothing suspicious was done there today the nice lady told me.(quute voice she had :-D)

    well monday is calling time then


    well 1 mail pr account would be just too much :/

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by ForsakenFrodo View Post
    Someone caught a keylogger. Run anti virus software and if you've bought anything online recently, block your credit card. Then all you can do is wait for all the support lines to open up and wait in long queues and get everything sorted out. After that I'd suggest not to go to fishy websites and use different passwords for all your stuff and update your antivirus if you haven't. That's pretty much all you can do.

    But Happy bday, sorta, and hope you work it all out.
    Damnit, your avatar is nostalgic. I just noticed your signature from Craig too, I think you're awesome. +1 for you.

    OT: I don't know how RIFT works on e-mails and stuff, but since my mailbox is getting spammed by WoW emails, the only emails I ever open are from friends or paypal.

  9. #9
    use more than 1 password......

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Mowdy View Post
    this sux, i have never tried this stuff before

    ive just called my bank and closed my card, i idid use it earlier today setup subscription for wow, but nothing suspicious was done there today the nice lady told me.(quute voice she had :-D)

    well monday is calling time then


    well 1 mail pr account would be just too much :/
    Well, depending on your browser you don't even have to click links for your computer to be infected. I would recommend Firefox or Google Chrome with Noscript/Adblock addons/extensions.

  11. #11
    Same thing happened to me, what I did is have a friend help me get all my accounts back using his computer. You can run some anti virus programs, but keyloggers seem to be almost impossible to track. I was forced to just reformat my computer. And as other people already said avoid fishy links/websites/programs, porn, or anything free that probably shouldn't be free.

  12. #12
    Bloodsail Admiral Neliah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    1,086
    Oddly enough, I've had the same shit happening to me.. And I also live in Denmark :s

    Edit: Checedk for keyloggers, viruses ect, but it keeps happening even when i change my Pw >_>

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesta View Post
    Well, depending on your browser you don't even have to click links for your computer to be infected. I would recommend Firefox or Google Chrome with Noscript/Adblock addons/extensions.
    i am using firefox, but not with the ext/addon you list here. ill take a look ibto it tommorrow

    ---------- Post added 2011-09-17 at 10:09 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Neliah View Post
    Oddly enough, I've had the same shit happening to me.. And I also live in Denmark :s

    Edit: Checedk for keyloggers, viruses ect, but it keeps happening even when i change my Pw >_>
    heh sadly (little funny) coincidence. we´re exposed us danes

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Mowdy View Post
    if there is something i never do, then it is clicking on random links on websites/emails.

    ill take a look on that link....
    You may not but what about your kids or wife? Only takes one person to screw up once for all that to happen. I agree with the others though, nothing you can really do besides contacting support and scanning your system for anything that could have compromised it.

  15. #15
    The Lightbringer Firebane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    In a Bordeaux vineyard
    Posts
    3,775
    Sounds like someone has your keys to me. Scan your system to death and purge it with fire if you have to.

    Hate those damn keyloggers man; hate em.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    I'm just being a smart ass at this point.

  16. #16
    Bloodsail Admiral Caylis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    in Limbo... damn the Wi-fi is expensive here...
    Posts
    1,225
    Quote Originally Posted by Mowdy View Post
    Okay today has been a bad day.

    I was at a birthday this afternoon, suddenky an email ticked in that someone had bought 6000 microsoft point on my xbox life account.... My xbox at home is not even connected to the internet. Support closed weekend so i have to wait till monday calling them

    Well birthday finished early night, me and my wife and 2 kids went home, said goodnight to kids and turned on pc a bit for reading emails once more before sleep. i had 3 emails from google that they wanted me know that my latitude was running on a mobile phone and was sending out my location, i did jump to google latitude site and saw to my big surprise that i had checked in, in UK - Heathrow airport. i am sitting in my sofa in denmark.

    Well 5 min after a mail ticked in from RIFT support that my email has been changed then 1 min after that password has been changed

    and just right now as im writing, the access to my facebook accout has been closed because someone in hong kong has tried to access my FB account.


    What is happening here and what can i do stop this :-S

    The microsoft thing happened to me 2 weeks ago.. I use a unique account/password for all my games/on line accounts.. So only the XBOX got hit.. MS are "investigating" atm.. Problem is they locked my live account until its done. So not only I am now £51 (6000 ms points) down.. I can't even play on xbox live. They say it can take up to 4 weeks to fix.. So no Gears 3 online multiplayer for me. On the plus side... Any and all xbox's they used to hack my account or they have ever logged into will be black listed (perma banned from xbox live) (they have the details of mine to exclude it from the list) Plus their Live account will be black listed also..

    Honestly can't think of it as a coincidence as I have seen several of these hack you and buy 6k ms points with your details cases for it to be just another hack... I really hope MS haven't gone soft on security or even worse they have been targetted.. Would suck.

    When you call them, have your Serial number and your Console ID (it's in the settings menu under system details) they need both of these to confirm your system.

  17. #17
    The Patient Roguezor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    307
    Quote Originally Posted by Mowdy View Post
    if there is something i never do, then it is clicking on random links on websites/emails.

    ill take a look on that link....
    Sorry to hear what has happened to you. And sorry but i'm the only one who finds this reply a bit funny? "I don't click links, ohh a link... i'll check it out"
    Again, hope you get everything in order.

  18. #18
    Warchief Lansworthy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Relocating from Sera to Skyrim.
    Posts
    2,053
    Only download Porn from the Porn video's creator website, not random sites.
    >>This is where I'd put a witty quote for my Signature<<
    IF I HAD ONE

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy View Post
    Only download Porn from the Porn video's creator website, not random sites.
    A good antivir will catch any virus. And you can't be picky about porn sites. Good porn is hard to come by these days.

  20. #20
    Fluffy Kitten ForsakenFrodo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The Shire
    Posts
    3,229
    Quote Originally Posted by pixxel View Post
    Damnit, your avatar is nostalgic. I just noticed your signature from Craig too, I think you're awesome. +1 for you.

    OT: I don't know how RIFT works on e-mails and stuff, but since my mailbox is getting spammed by WoW emails, the only emails I ever open are from friends or paypal.
    Supercow!
    *wink*
    League of Legends, Video Games & General Off-Topic mod. PM me with any concerns you may have.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •