10+ Year Old Account

Disc Macro Question

So I haven't tried this and I'll try it tonight when I get home but can you macro smite and holy fire into the same macro. So far everything I read says you can't however I am currently macroing Inner Focus to GHeal and PoH (basically like the following);
    /cast Inner Focus
    /cast Greater Heal

Now that macro works fine, the odd time I may have to press it twice but usually doesn't mess up on me. So why wouldn't the following work?
    /cast HF
    /cast Smite

I have them both macro'd to hit target of target but that is the basic layout.

I'm not exactly proficient with macros, but my understanding is you can't have two /cast if they both take up a GCD or have a spell timer, since it will always try to cast the first and will fail to do so if it's on CD (in this case, if HF is on CD, nothing will happen). It won't be like "Hey, since HF is on CD, I'm going to cast Smite). Or if HF is up, it'll cast HF but it will ignore the Smite aspect. So essentially that /cast Smite is useless. I'm not sure if there's a way to make it work with the way you want dependent on CD, again I'm not very knowledgeable in this subject. As for Inner Focus and Greater Heal, I have IF bound to this as well and the thing is IF doesn't have a GCD. I also bind things like trinket on uses with no issue because they don't affect GCDs or have cast times either. Hope that all makes a little sense!

Inner Focus is off the Global Cooldown, so, that's why a IF+Gheal/PoH macro works. Since both Holy Fire and Smite invoke the GCD, they can NOT be cast sequentially with just one button press.

If you would, however, like a macro that casts Holy Fire and then Smite while Holy Fire is on cooldown (each cast will require a new press of the macro), the following should suit your needs:

/castsequence [target=XXX] Holy Fire, Smite

Replace XXX with the target that you desire (in your case, target of target) and you should be good to go!
    Quote Originally Posted by Urti
    No, they (new-gen gamers) are happy. Never happier than when they are crying loudly about the injustices of voluntary forms of entertainment.

That macro will reset after you cast Smite once, and then it will stop working until Holy Fire comes off CD again.

It's not very practical to macro the two to one button because you would need something like
    /castsequence reset=10 Holy Fire, Smite, Smite, Smite, Smite, Smite, Smite

This would let you continue casting Smite until you've done it 6 times, or until 10 seconds have gone *since the last button press*. Herein lies the problem because the macro won't automatically reset 10 seconds after your Holy Fire, because Blizzard does not allow us to do that. So if you cast Holy Fire and then Smite x3, then do nothing for 5 seconds, your Holy Fire will be off CD but your macro will still be stuck halfway through the Smite sequence because it hasn't been 10 seconds yet, and you haven't finished the entire sequence.

TL;DR: Don't try to macro them together.

Pretty much what Aleysia said. Its more trouble than its worth trying to chain these into a single cast macro. I'd recommend a shift modifier or something similar.

Example:
    #showtooltip
    /cast [mod:shift] Holy Fire : Smite

This will cast smite unless you hold your shift key down while hitting the macro, in which case you will Holy Fire.

15+ Year Old Account
    Kurzior beat me to it. I just use two keys, but if you want a macro, that's the way to go.

Replace "shift" with "ctrl" or "alt" if you prefer.

Deleted
    /castsequence reset=10 Holy Fire, Smite, Smite, Smite, Smite

Use however many smites you need to cover the 10 sec HF cooldown.
    You'll get a short "break" between the last smite and the next HF with stuff like hero etc up, but you can use that time for other stuff, like a PWS or DoT the mob or w/e.

Only problem with this macro is that if you have to interrupt your smiteing to heal or move, it'll not actually reset after 10 seconds. You'd have to either not use the macro or 10 seconds or cast all the smites in the macro before it resets.

It's still the macro i prefer, just because of the convenience of having it all on one button. I do the same with my DoTs with a 1 second reset, meaning one hit = SWP, if i keep spamming i'll cast DP but if i wait one second I can use SWP on another target.

#showtooltip
    /castsequence [harm] reset=7 Holy Fire, Smite, Smite, Smite, Smite
    /castsequence [@targettarget] reset=7 Holy Fire, Smite, Smite, Smite, Smite

This'll let you keep your tank targeted and it'll cast Holy Fire (if not on cd) or Smite.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I'll stick with the seperate buttons for now. It's too bad because it would sure clear up a couple of bottons if I could macro stuff with a cooldown to stuff that far less important but don't have a cd (ie smite/HF and I was also contemplating combining PW:S with flash heal). Maybe I'll look up what's on the GCD and what's not. I still maybe able to combine a few of my buttons.