strange laptop is strange

Trying to set up a new acer laptop and it's got a really weird problem i've never really seen before.

The fans on this thing are all out of whack. They will randomly jump between 100% and 0%, with no in between. It just goes from jet engine to completely silent every 20 or so seconds. Does anyone know what is causing this and how to fix it?

Dunno, Throttlestop might help it.. but then again, it might overheat the system xD

Sup with the whack fan sup?

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Might be able to change a setting using Speedfan or in the BIOS. Generally laptops are locked as far as changing settings like fan speed goes.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    The fans turn on when the laptop's sensors hit a certain temperature.

Consider elevating the back of the laptop to allow more passive cooling, so the fans dont turn on as frequently. Without putting your laptop at risk, there really isnt a way to 100% eliminate the fan noise.

Acer's fans are notoriously loud and there is a huge community out there with heaps of suggestions. Consider googling "Acer laptop fan control"

On the more advanced laptops, you can set how fast the fans spin (RPM) If you find such software or controls for your particular model, consider running the fans at 70% of their capability. Monitor your computer's temperatures for the first few hours of this with software that reports back the CPU temperatures. Again, search for "CPU temperature monitor" to find this. Adjust the fan speeds accordingly until you stay under 60 degrees C under load.

You may also be able to search the BIOS settings for fan throttle/control, or temperature at which the fans turn on. Tweek these as you see fit, monitoring your temperatures as you do it.

There are many 3rd-party laptop coolers available on the internet. These may be less noticable than the internal cooling that you're describing. Search newegg for a few of these options. Also, pay special attention to other user's feedback. Some laptop coolers are simply a waste of money. Do your homework before purchasing one. Note that this wont keep the internal fans off 100%, it will just lessen the frequency that they turn on.

Best of luck.

10+ Year Old Account
    People tend to forget also that laptops are very small and tightly packed machines. Where desktops have space for air to move, and cooling systems (sometimes elaborate) are plentiful, laptops have mere fans and air channels. People nowadays use laptops for much more than previous generations, and places a new burden on those systems. You may want to talk to your manufacturer about programs, or settings that can be changed. you may also consider a cooling pad.

The air coming out of the side of the laptop is COOL. I am setting up a meh laptop for some relatives of mine to play browser based flash games like bejeweled, and to check emails. Speedfan shows my CPU at 35 degrees and the fan suddenly decides to kick to 100% and be louder than my personal laptop when im playing something like BFBC2 on high >_<

Still searching and trying programs, but i haven't seen anything to control the fan speed. If this is how these machines were meant to be by default... well this is just stupid.