The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

Triple Monitors vs 1 big (TV/Monitor)

I have been really researching about this issue for a while now. I know that Triple monitors for FPS and Simulators and certain other games look awesome. The only FPS game I am planning to be playing is BF3, other than that it will be games like WoW, SWTOR, GW2...

I was just wanting some opinions. I have looked at running 3x Asus 24" full HD 2ms response time, but I am not sure how much I would like it for everyday use.

With the Single Screen option I just had some questions....
    1. LCD/LED monitor like 27"-30" and using a 19" i already have for a dual setup
    2. Using an actual TV like 30"+ as my monitor and my 19"

My question with a TV is whether there is lag, do i need 1080p, do i need a certain htz lvl like 120 or 240? I am just wandering if TV's are good enough to game on.

Any opinions are welcome. I have an opportunity at an $8000 grant and I will be building my dream computer with it!

Thanks in advance

First TVs don't go higher than 1920x1080, at least for the time being. While good monitors will do 2560x1440 at 27" and 2560x1600 at 30" So the bigger the TV the bigger the pixels pretty much. Which is why you watch them from a distance.

Also TVs don't do a true 120Hz, they only do frame multiplying, they don't actually accept an input of 120Hz or more.

Lastly, yes, most TVs have more input lag than a monitor, but some have a game mode or something to bypass all the junk.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

Deleted
    I would suggest triple monitors, using double atm myself. It's more pixels and a lot better control when running a lot of programs at the same time.

I have a 3 monitor setup and being a graphic designer and also being able to have web pages/vent open and viewable without having to alt-tab is GLORIOUS. and my main monitor is a giant ass HD TV as well, so kind of a mix of both the things you are asking about.

Go triple monitor if you want to game. Get a TV if you want to watch TV.

How the hell do you get that kind of a grant?
    Go with triple monitors IMO.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the replies...

1. If I did go with a bigger screen like a 30" i would still have another screen for the multitasking for sure.
    2. With the triple monitor setup is it beneficial for all games or even compatible with all games? And if not am I able to pick which screen the game will show on? like the middle one? And do I need anything special to run triple screens besides the cables and graphics cards?

3. This is a Teacher's Grant through a company in my state. It is meant to be a refreshing and educational experience to re-energize us as educators over the summer. I have not actually ever built a computer and always have wanted to and I am a good writer/bullshitter so I came up with a sweet proposal to try and win this grant!

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Voorhees83 View Post
    Thanks for the replies...

1. If I did go with a bigger screen like a 30" i would still have another screen for the multitasking for sure.
    2. With the triple monitor setup is it beneficial for all games or even compatible with all games? And if not am I able to pick which screen the game will show on? like the middle one? And do I need anything special to run triple screens besides the cables and graphics cards?

3. This is a Teacher's Grant through a company in my state. It is meant to be a refreshing and educational experience to re-energize us as educators over the summer. I have not actually ever built a computer and always have wanted to and I am a good writer/bullshitter so I came up with a sweet proposal to try and win this grant!

Thanks again!

Hold up. You are using a government grant for the purpose of EDUCATION to build yourself a GAMING SYSTEM? People like you are the reason this country is so far in debt.....

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Affiniti,

Actually that is exactly what this grant is for. People go to national parks, to other countries, learn other languages, build boats, follow famous story lines, and anything else you can dream of. This is not coming from our Government either, it is from Eli Lilly.

I also have a mathematics degree from Purdue University, I teach High School math, and am planning on starting a computer design/building/gaming club in our Highschool. The mathematics and physics behind the computer/gaming industry is not even touched in the school system and is an incredible use of the material.

So before you assume to know anything about me and feel that I am the reason for putting our country in debt, when I could make 4 times the amount of money I make as a teacher with my degree.

How about the retired/former government leaders that make $250,000 dollars a year for the rest of there life with no insurance costs and probably no taxes either, I would say that is a problem.

Anyways lets get back on track here, this isn't even a government grant so your comment again is worthless.... Thanks

10+ Year Old Account
    Go three monitors, higher resolutions, its close to your face, where as a tv you need to sit back abit for it to feel comfortable (due to its height), the only downside is the bezels, but you can find screens with really thin bezels. an example http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...ducts_id=14945. which i want really badly, and im still on the fence about buying.

Triple monitors personally. Little awkward at first but keeping some games on one screen and programs on the other is a very nice perk over just a bigger screen. And having to sit farther away from the TV may be a bit of an issue and may make you either sit oddly or get a wireless keyboard and mouse.

With that grant you could buy a Ostendo CRVD TV. I'm sure there are other brands out as well, hopefully for a lower price:

http://www.ostendo.com/images/home/crvd_20100830.jpg

Or save up and get 3:

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I run Eyefinity over 3 screens, and I love it, I have become addicted to several screens.. It's just.. Awesome.

So I'd say 3 screens> One large TV.
    Quote Originally Posted by overcaffeinated View Post
    I don't get why people like you feel they need to chime in and tell the OP how useless his post was. If it was that useless why did you spend your 2 minutes to craft a response instead of 2 seconds to hit your "back" button?
    I7-4770K, ASUS Maximus VI Formula, SLI EVGA GTX780Ti, AX1200, Kingston V300 240GB, watercooled!

Deleted
    monitor > tv
    the number and size of monitors is up to your budget.

/thread

Bloodsail Admiral dicertification's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Since these monitors are going to be used for education I'd get in contact with your school districts top IT purchaser and find out what kind of offers you can get from Dell. They have some really nice high res IPS panels. I personally have an older 27" model not sure what they offer now a days. They normally retail for about $1000 bucks last I heard, much cheaper than I had to spend. Having 3 2560x1440 panels would really allow you to demonstrate modern hardware capabilities. It's a good chunk of your budget. But I'm sure with the $5000 left over you could still build a pretty beast machine with the GPU power needed to utilize those displays.