Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Rhyolith Turning

How exactly is rhyolith turning done? I've heard various "explanations" of it, from hits per second on the leg, to damage per second on the leg, to just straight up damage on the leg. None of these explanations has had any basis to it other than "it works this way I know!", so I'm posting here to see if anyone knows for sure, and more importantly, can back up, how rhyolith turning works.

Deleted
    If you're looking for a "source" to how the turning of Ryo works, you should either check the dungeonguide (don't know if it says anything about turning though), maybe look at wowhead og uhmm maybe check a video guide?

Direct dmg makes him turn yes but dots certainly makes him turn as well and dots makes the turning a lot harder to control. Not really sure why you ask this question though, what is your point?

Quote Originally Posted by Danishgirl View Post
    If you're looking for a "source" to how the turning of Ryo works, you should either check the dungeonguide (don't know if it says anything about turning though), maybe look at wowhead og uhmm maybe check a video guide?

Direct dmg makes him turn yes but dots certainly makes him turn as well and dots makes the turning a lot harder to control. Not really sure why you ask this question though, what is your point?
    Reading posts is hard right? He's asking what the modifier is for the leg to turn. Damage, DPS, or Hits per second. Huge differences between them. Next time try reading...

Quote Originally Posted by lanerios View Post
    Reading posts is hard right? He's asking what the modifier is for the leg to turn. Damage, DPS, or Hits per second. Huge differences between them. Next time try reading...
    He did read it, and he answered the question to the best of his knowledge. That's a lot more than you've done.

OT: Nobody really knows the exact criteria for what will move his turn bar. Everyone has their own theories, but nothing (that I've seen) has confirmed it either way.

Quote Originally Posted by TiredTofu View Post
    He did read it, and he answered the question to the best of his knowledge. That's a lot more than you've done.

OT: Nobody really knows the exact criteria for what will move his turn bar. Everyone has their own theories, but nothing (that I've seen) has confirmed it either way.
    ^ This. Although melees are better suited for this since they can't do jack on Sparks.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I like to think it's based on punching his foot.

I would be inclined to suggest dps though, due to the way the turning bar reacts. Could be wrong, of course.

I just have to post and comment that, contrary to what some people seem to think, DoTs have no effect on the turning.

Quote Originally Posted by whatthefudge View Post
    I just have to post and comment that, contrary to what some people seem to think, DoTs have no effect on the turning.
    What is your proof for this?

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jaimelannister View Post
    What is your proof for this?
    put dots on legs, make sure no one else is doing anything on it. VOILA!

Everything points for a reasoning to hits done to each leg, per a tick. As an add killer, I never checked how much time does the meter take to change. But in its behavior I think it's pretty safe to assume the reason of the direct damage on each leg updates each tick and set direction and speed.

It's definitely not based on how many attacks it gets because that would put DW DKs and Rogues at an unfair advantage over slower melee like 2h Dks, Warriors and Ret pallys.

Deleted
    I was wondering this as well - since I'm playing feral DPS and I wanted to know how much my bleeds could gimp the turning.

Our strategy goes, that we're basically turning only right. So I simply applied my bleeds on the left leg to test it. Basically we couldn't realize any difference with the bleeds on the left leg. So I came to the impression that bleeds (aka DoTs) don't have much effect on turning. I know that's no proof and all, but it's the most info I could get for now.

Im pretty sure its done by damage. When i do this boss on my melee ( only norm , its a alt ) it goes easier as the fight continues , because he's loosing his armor stacks , which makes us do more damage then in the begin... this is most logical thing i could say really.

15+ Year Old Account
    It definitely has to be damage. When he's lost 40-50 stacks he turns extremely easy. I've read 250k (500k in 25) but I'm not going to wipe the raid to test.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by YoOoster View Post
    put dots on legs, make sure no one else is doing anything on it. VOILA!
    try 2-3 people with dots 1 person alone is not goin to move him

Quote Originally Posted by slozon View Post
    try 2-3 people with dots 1 person alone is not goin to move him
    He said DOTS, plural, so he could mean all the dots the raid can (nowhere in his statement did he say one person only). and his "make sure no one else is doing anything on it." He meant anyone doing non-dot attacks, don't be dumb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edlarel View Post
    August Footlong of the month = Buffalo Chicken. I'm having one now, and it's wonderful.

Also, While I was there, I asked to speak with the manager about why the Sept sign wasn't up yet. He said he didn't know but it should be up "soon."

They're even using Blizzard lingo now, I knew I was right!

10+ Year Old Account
    By damage. I've had 2 melee on the feet and an emergency DPS to help turn. 1 was our high DPS warrior, the other was an average ret pally. The turning was so bad we couldn't get Rhyolith down. Next night. Same warrior, high DPS frost DK and there wasn't even a need for an emergency DPS to get on the feet to help turn.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    if the turning would be based on the DPS or damage, he would turn faster near the end of the fight, because he has lost many stacks and he's getting more dmg

I'm not exactly sure what turns him, I've noticed when I get a string of crits he will veer in my direction. But I've also noticed that 3 slow casting hard hitters stacked on 1 leg can't turn him against my faster melee swings on the other (assuming similar dps ofc). So OP I can't give you any proof, just my experiences with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragelicious View Post
    Mute yourself. You happen to be dumb atm.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lanerios View Post
    You're the one who needs to L2 read, how hard is it?

---------- Post added 2011-09-10 at 01:11 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tintenkiller View Post
    I was wondering this as well - since I'm playing feral DPS and I wanted to know how much my bleeds could gimp the turning.

Our strategy goes, that we're basically turning only right. So I simply applied my bleeds on the left leg to test it. Basically we couldn't realize any difference with the bleeds on the left leg. So I came to the impression that bleeds (aka DoTs) don't have much effect on turning. I know that's no proof and all, but it's the most info I could get for now.
    Pretty sure dots do count towards turning. I play a Feral dps on Ryo HM as well and if I put up a 5 combo point Rip on a leg, it goes crazy and the 2 other melee (DK and Pala) on steering have to push a lot harder. Normally they're on one leg and I'm on the other, when we just want Ryo to go straight forward. And I do apply 5 combo point Rip most of the time, in order to maintain a decent amount of dps on the legs.