Thread: HDD Missing

HDD Missing

Hey guys,

I just did some cleaning on my rig and now my computer doesn't recognize my HDD. I didn't unplug anything. Just went through the rig with an air duster.
    Does anyone have any ideas on what happened

I have a SSD and an HDD for slave storage.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Is the drive recognized during system startup? (Black screen, right after you turn on your computer)

If it isnt:

With the computer on, carefully place your hand on the top of the HDD. Because theres a platter in there spinning around (Especially so at startup) you should be able to feel if it is moving. If its moving, it clearly has power. Shut down your computer. disconnect the data cable (The smaller of the two) from both the motherboard end and the disk end, and try connecting to another slot on the motherboard. Turn your computer back on and see whats up.

If there is no power going to it (you can't feel anything) Find a different power ribbon in your case and use that instead. Restart your computer, see if you can feel it moving now.

If it has power, and it IS being recognized at startup, then theres obviously something wrong in Windows (perhaps you lost your partition, though its unlikely) Boot into windows, Right-click on "Computer" and go to Management. Click on the Disk Management tab on the left. Do you see the disk in there? Is it marked as unpartitioned, or anything suspicious? This is the least likely scenario, if all you did was blow out your case.

TLDR: Try using other data and power cables on the HDD and see if it works. Report back if otherwise.

Best of luck.

Mike