Thread: Pokémon!

  1. #5881
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryve View Post
    Honestly, what kind of a stupid argument is that? It's very much likely 493 hadn't even been thought of when Gold and Silver were released. Retconed relevance is the base of your argument?
    Gen II Pokemon Ho-Oh was in the first episode of the anime. It's clear the creator planned all things out. When he would release the God of Pokemon was up to when he felt Arceus was needed. The entire Pokemon universe had it's story already fleshed out. He just needed to add the who and when. Mew was the great connector in this sense. Mew contains all DNA of every Pokemon past, present, and future. Arceus being the God of Pokemon created Mew so that it would be this way. It was pretty obvious they were going a supreme deity route if you actually pay attention to the details in the story.

  2. #5882
    Quote Originally Posted by Helrizen View Post
    Dunno if anyone has posted but PokeMMO http://pokemmo.eu/ good done up mmo pokemon world based on fire red, requires pokemmo client and fire red rom ( heart gold or soul silver optional for small perks/ pokemon combat enchaned). for fire red and heart gold. Playing it atm and really feeds the pokemon hunger

    No, no, that's what the M stands for. Learn your initialisms, game devs.
    Last edited by Splenda; 2013-03-06 at 10:13 AM.

  3. #5883
    Mechagnome holz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    717
    Quote Originally Posted by lucizanito View Post
    Gen II Pokemon Ho-Oh was in the first episode of the anime. It's clear the creator planned all things out. When he would release the God of Pokemon was up to when he felt Arceus was needed. The entire Pokemon universe had it's story already fleshed out. He just needed to add the who and when. Mew was the great connector in this sense. Mew contains all DNA of every Pokemon past, present, and future. Arceus being the God of Pokemon created Mew so that it would be this way. It was pretty obvious they were going a supreme deity route if you actually pay attention to the details in the story.
    Actually that's not true. They had thought of gen 1 and 2 from the very beginning. But not of 3-5
    + 49

  4. #5884
    Quote Originally Posted by Worgenite View Post
    Someone sounds like they're a Sony pony or an Msoft fanboy Seriously, though, you do. I've never heard such hatred for Nintendo unless it's spoken from either of those parties. Or maybe you're one of those "old Nintendo fans" that feel like Nintendo betrayed you b/c you grew up and Nintendo didn't. Either way, Nintendo is still selling plenty of games and hardware and I'm sure it's not just b/c of the fanbase. Then again, the same could be said for Msoft/Sony that they're also surviving b/c of a blindly loyal fanbase that will buy anything they shit out *cough*genericmilitaryshooter5*cough* (though Sony does actually have other games)
    Do you even think before you post, or does the shit just dribble out? What hatred for Nintendo? What love of MS/Sony? Actually, I just remembered I've seen you post before, and it was of similar "quality". Don't bother trying to explain yourself.

    Quote Originally Posted by lucizanito View Post
    Gen II Pokemon Ho-Oh was in the first episode of the anime. It's clear the creator planned all things out. When he would release the God of Pokemon was up to when he felt Arceus was needed. The entire Pokemon universe had it's story already fleshed out. He just needed to add the who and when. Mew was the great connector in this sense. Mew contains all DNA of every Pokemon past, present, and future. Arceus being the God of Pokemon created Mew so that it would be this way. It was pretty obvious they were going a supreme deity route if you actually pay attention to the details in the story.
    Err... That Ho-Oh didn't even look like the finished product. It was just "a legendary bird". Something thrown in that they'd cover much later, if the series survived that long. You're giving the story writers far too much credit. Another poster states they'd planned out the first 251. Even that I'd doubt. It's an industry where a series can easily be axed mid run. It's a bit like saying Munna was designed years in advance, and not that it was a joke by the creators who finally decided "let's actually do that".

    Quote Originally Posted by Okuu View Post

    No, no, that's what the M stands for. Learn your initialisms, game devs.
    That's actually what the second M stands for...

  5. #5885
    Herald of the Titans -Ethos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    2,582
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryve View Post
    Err... That Ho-Oh didn't even look like the finished product. It was just "a legendary bird". Something thrown in that they'd cover much later, if the series survived that long.
    Erm.



    5069-5224-8275 Pokemon Friend Safari - Ice: Lapras / Snorunt / Sneasel

  6. #5886
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryve View Post
    That's actually what the second M stands for...
    I know, that's why I said "that's what the M stands for." Don't get all ellipsis on me, boy.

  7. #5887
    Mechagnome holz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    717
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    Erm.


    Just ignore the idiot and he'll go away...

    Infracted. Flaming is not tolerated here
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2013-03-04 at 01:27 AM.
    + 49

  8. #5888
    The Lightbringer Skelington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    UGUU
    Posts
    3,820
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryve View Post
    Err... That Ho-Oh didn't even look like the finished product. It was just "a legendary bird". Something thrown in that they'd cover much later, if the series survived that long. You're giving the story writers far too much credit. Another poster states they'd planned out the first 251. Even that I'd doubt. It's an industry where a series can easily be axed mid run. It's a bit like saying Munna was designed years in advance, and not that it was a joke by the creators who finally decided "let's actually do that".
    Except they did. Most of the generation 2 pokemon and features were cut from the original and saved for later.
    But do please go on. You're absolutely right about and clearly know everything.

  9. #5889
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    Erm.


    So it isn't blindingly obvious that the colours hadn't been decided upon, and that instead they merely said "this is what the legendary will look like, now colour it in". My apologies for not mentioning the issue was in the colouring, I forget the level of intelligence I'm dealing with. It was not a "finished" Ho-Oh.

    Quote Originally Posted by Okuu View Post
    I know, that's why I said "that's what the M stands for." Don't get all ellipsis on me, boy.
    From what I'm seeing in this thread, it would come as no surprise.

    Quote Originally Posted by Skelington View Post
    Except they did. Most of the generation 2 pokemon and features were cut from the original and saved for later.
    But do please go on. You're absolutely right about and clearly know everything.
    Evidence beyond fan speculation?

    Infracted: Please post respectfully, there is no need for insults
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2013-03-04 at 01:48 AM.

  10. #5890
    The Lightbringer Skelington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    UGUU
    Posts
    3,820
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryve View Post
    Evidence beyond fan speculation?
    Pokemon are listed in order of creation in the first game's pokedex with empty numbers filled by Missingno.s that later appear on pokemon in the second generation games, and Missingno.s that appear on r/b/y games connected to g/s/c will show the gen2 pokemon corresponding to the number.
    Last edited by Skelington; 2013-03-04 at 01:59 AM.

  11. #5891
    Herald of the Titans -Ethos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    2,582
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryve View Post
    So it isn't blindingly obvious that the colours hadn't been decided upon, and that instead they merely said "this is what the legendary will look like, now colour it in". My apologies for not mentioning the issue was in the colouring, I forget the level of intelligence I'm dealing with. It was not a "finished" Ho-Oh.
    Ignoring the snide remarks, I think its beyond coincidental they happened to give it a glowing aura matching the video game version it would end up being a mascot to.

    5069-5224-8275 Pokemon Friend Safari - Ice: Lapras / Snorunt / Sneasel

  12. #5892
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelington View Post
    Pokemon are listed in order of creation in the first game's pokedex with empty numbers filled by Missingno.s that later appear on pokemon in the second generation games, and Missingno.s that appear on r/b/y games connected to g/s/c will show the gen2 pokemon corresponding to the number.


    But hey, if this is all you can come up with to say it's wrong. Skelington isn't one to judge.
    Missingno was one of the programming glitches, largely thought to be a Kangaskhan that evolved from Marowak that was never deleted from the game... Which actually makes a lot of sense. Different numbering systems on the newer Pokedexs don't "prove" anything. I know of a lot of psychics who brag about having predicted major natural disasters after the fact.

    What do you mean "if this is all you can come up with"? It's blatantly obvious. The fact that you people want to believe otherwise does not alter the reality of the matter.

    Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    Ignoring the snide remarks, I think its beyond coincidental they happened to give it a glowing aura matching the video game version it would end up being a mascot to.
    Given it was featured years before the video game version... Yeah, funny that. It's almost like they based Ho-Oh on the legendary Pokemon (which possibly wasn't even named at the time) that Ash saw when he began his journey.
    Last edited by Ryve; 2013-03-04 at 01:43 AM.

  13. #5893
    The Lightbringer Skelington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    UGUU
    Posts
    3,820
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryve View Post
    Missingno was one of the programming glitches, largely thought to be a Kangaskhan that evolved from Marowak that was never deleted from the game... Which actually makes a lot of sense. Different numbering systems on the newer Pokedexs don't "prove" anything. I know of a lot of psychics who brag about having predicted major natural disasters after the fact.

    What do you mean "if this is all you can come up with"? It's blatantly obvious. The fact that you people want to believe otherwise does not alter the reality of the matter.

    Given it was featured years before the video game version... Yeah, funny that. It's almost like they based Ho-Oh on the legendary Pokemon (which possibly wasn't even named at the time) that Ash saw when he began his journey.
    Skelington didn't say anything about newer pokedexes. His humblest apologies that he didn't differentiate between the numbers you see and internal coding. There's more than one Missingno., and Cubone-Kangaskhan theory is just fan speculation.
    Ho-oh is also one of the pokemon coded in the first game. It being solid gold in the anime doesn't mean much of anything.

  14. #5894
    Herald of the Titans -Ethos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    2,582
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryve View Post
    Given it was featured years before the video game version... Yeah, funny that. It's almost like they based Ho-Oh on the legendary Pokemon (which possibly wasn't even named at the time) that Ash saw when he began his journey.
    Considering the anime didnt debut until over a year after Red and Green were released in Japan i dont think it really matters whether or not it was a proto-pokemon or Ho-oh. They obviously were working on the next generation of games whilst the anime was in development after the success of the first games. The fact remains they've planned the pokemon, the games and the stories out ahead of time constantly (as all game developers, writes etc. do) , as evidenced by pokemon like Gastrodon originally being part of the Gen3 lineup before being pushed back to Gen4.

    5069-5224-8275 Pokemon Friend Safari - Ice: Lapras / Snorunt / Sneasel

  15. #5895
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryve View Post
    Do you even think before you post, or does the shit just dribble out? What hatred for Nintendo? What love of MS/Sony? Actually, I just remembered I've seen you post before, and it was of similar "quality". Don't bother trying to explain yourself.
    Do tell me why you're talking of people buying 'anything they shit out' then. Enlighten me o'mighty prophet of gaming. Sounds like hatred to me. Otherwise you'd talk like a civilized human being. The love of ms/sony comes from hatred for nintendo. Either you're one of them or you're one of those who turned on Nintendo. Or maybe you're just full of loathing and hate anything that other people like. Idk. I would love to hear the reasoning I mentioned in the first sentence though.
    if I left...no one would care

  16. #5896
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelington View Post
    Skelington didn't say anything about newer pokedexes. His humblest apologies that he didn't differentiate between the numbers you see and internal coding. There's more than one Missingno., and Cubone-Kangaskhan theory is just fan speculation.
    Ho-oh is also one of the pokemon coded in the first game. It being solid gold in the anime doesn't mean much of anything.
    Fan speculation that makes a lot of sense, given the similar appearance between baby Kangaskhan and Cubone/the fact that Missingno evolves into Kangaskhan... Aside from that, where is there any evidence of Ho-Oh being coded into the original Pokedex? It being solid gold in the anime suggests it had not yet been completed yet.

    I'd highly doubt Ho-Oh of all being planned for the first batch, given Moltres meant there was already a legendary Phoenix style Pokémon.

    Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    Considering the anime didnt debut until over a year after Red and Green were released in Japan i dont think it really matters whether or not it was a proto-pokemon or Ho-oh. They obviously were working on the next generation of games whilst the anime was in development after the success of the first games. The fact remains they've planned the pokemon, the games and the stories out ahead of time constantly (as all game developers, writes etc. do) , as evidenced by pokemon like Gastrodon originally being part of the Gen3 lineup before being pushed back to Gen4.
    Err... And Gold/Silver weren't released for more than a year after the anime...

    At the time, they wouldn't have known how big Pokemon would become. It could have vanished into obscurity before Ash ever collected the Kanto badges. I think you will find once it had an established fan base they were able to start planning ahead - if the chances of getting there are looking bleak, the budget won't allow for those kind of man hours. As for Gastrodon, I can only assume they'd hit the "lame" looking Pokemon budget for that generation, so decided to hold it back for next time. But it's pretty obvious that by now if they're planning on releasing another 100 or so Pokemon in the next 2 gens, that they'd have the budget to have the creative team/artists working on it.

  17. #5897
    Scarab Lord MasterOfKnees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    4,407
    Ho-Oh being solid gold was probably to emphasize its status and because the Pokémon wasn't known to others yet. Pokémon like Girafarig, Ampharos and Ho-Oh were supposed to be in Pokémon Red, but was cut, sketches from the designers goes to prove that. I think it was something like 180 Pokémon that was planned to be in the game, but was cut for whatever reason.

    Edit: Here's an interview, apparently there were 190 Pokémon originally:

    "So at the worlds this year I decided to ask Shigeki Morimoto, the guy who made Mew, about it. Since I asked him at the autograph table, where he would have his translator, I didn't have long so I can pretty much outline the exchange as this:

    Me: "So in Red and Green, were there originally exactly 190 Pokémon?"

    *Translator relays to Morimoto; he sort of jumps in his chair enthusiastically (lol) and seems very happy, grinning at me*

    Translator: "Yes; we decided to save the rest of the designs for later"

    Me: "So for example Ho-Oh was made for Red and Green first? Since it was in the first episode of the anime?"

    *he hears Ho-Oh and looks confused, then then when the translator says the rest to him he remains the same*

    Translator: "No, not Ho-Oh. He wasn't made earlier."

    And then I say domo arigato and get rushed out by the queue building behind me, heheh. However what he said about Ho-Oh just doesn't make sense so I'm guessing that was an error in the translation. Since Ho-Oh is #49 in the list and appears in anime episode 1 it obviously had been made by that time so he probably tried to say Ho-Oh wasn't made for Red and Green, and was just in there with no real intention of keeping it in."

    And some of the sketches I talked about:





    So that's Girafarig, Chikorita and Qwilfish if anyone is wondering.
    Last edited by MasterOfKnees; 2013-03-04 at 01:50 PM.

  18. #5898
    Fluffy Kitten Taurenburger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Pretending not to be here
    Posts
    3,055
    Quote Originally Posted by wariofan1 View Post
    Ho-Oh being solid gold was probably to emphasize its status and because the Pokémon wasn't known to others yet. Pokémon like Girafarig, Ampharos and Ho-Oh were supposed to be in Pokémon Red, but was cut, sketches from the designers goes to prove that. I think it was something like 180 Pokémon that was planned to be in the game, but was cut for whatever reason.
    Hmm, this makes sense. Why else would there be a pokemon, unknown to us untill the second generation, to appear in the very first episode of the pokemon anime?

  19. #5899
    Aliens.
    if I left...no one would care

  20. #5900
    Mechagnome holz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    717
    Yeah like someone above said. They already thought of way more than 151 Pokemon when the first game came out. But they could only fit 151 in the game. They basically ran out of space.
    + 49

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •