Thread: Pokémon!

  1. #6321
    Pandaren Monk Vomlix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    1,751
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebert View Post
    In the end Pokemon is a numbers game, but that starter pokemon for your character is never unloved and released. <3
    Normally I'd feel you, but I don't really like the starters in the 5th generation, and I've always found alternatives.

  2. #6322
    Quote Originally Posted by Vomlix View Post
    Well you CAN love Pokémon and not handicap yourself with a Delibird (just an example, don't hate). I like to take one pokémon and balance my team around him/her. I research first and see if it's in the game, and if it's not, I simply find an alternative. It's quite fun, actually.
    pffft handicap? i think someones just jelly that the pelipper mail line isnt nearly as high quality

    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

    FC: 3437-3046-3552

  3. #6323
    I am Murloc! Firebert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Dat Ingurlund, brrrrrap
    Posts
    5,099
    Quote Originally Posted by Vomlix View Post
    Normally I'd feel you, but I don't really like the starters in the 5th generation, and I've always found alternatives.
    Fire-Fighting's alright (and, ironically, I felt it was my only option whether I liked the pokemon or not). And when you've got half the entire pokedex due to amazing pokemon from Dream World, shuffling gets a lot easier!
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/1 | Mafia: 0/5/5 | TPR: 0/2/2
    SK: 0/1/1 | VT: 1.5/3.5/5 | Cult: 1/0/1
    Legendary Overlooked

  4. #6324
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebert View Post
    Fire-Fighting's alright (and, ironically, I felt it was my only option whether I liked the pokemon or not). And when you've got half the entire pokedex due to amazing pokemon from Dream World, shuffling gets a lot easier!
    i have every pokemon in existence and all forms. i am teh king of shuffle!
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

    FC: 3437-3046-3552

  5. #6325
    Scarab Lord MasterOfKnees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    4,633
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebert View Post
    Blaziken and Excadrill are better, and don't have the horrible Grass typing.
    Again, different roles. Excadrill is a banned sweeper, Ferrothorn is used for setting up Spikes and Stealth Rock primarily, and then force the opponent to switch out by spamming Leech Seed. It also has only 1 weakness; Fire. Breloom uses Stun Spore and Leech Seed at its disposal, and doesn't have the ridiculous Earthquake weakness. Different kinds of Pokémon.

  6. #6326
    I am Murloc! Firebert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Dat Ingurlund, brrrrrap
    Posts
    5,099
    Quote Originally Posted by wariofan1 View Post
    Ferrothorn is used for setting up Spikes and Stealth Rock primarily, and then force the opponent to switch out by spamming Leech Seed. It also has only 1 weakness; Fire.
    And Fighting, and the only reason for this is that Steel's an amazingly defensive type making up for Grass being horrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by wariofan1 View Post
    Breloom uses Stun Spore and Leech Seed at its disposal, and doesn't have the ridiculous Earthquake weakness. Different kinds of Pokémon.
    But is weak to Flying twice, Fire, Poison, Ice and Psychic.

    Agree with different kinds of Pokemon, you can say that for all 600+ of them, though.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/1 | Mafia: 0/5/5 | TPR: 0/2/2
    SK: 0/1/1 | VT: 1.5/3.5/5 | Cult: 1/0/1
    Legendary Overlooked

  7. #6327
    Pandaren Monk Vomlix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    1,751
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebert View Post
    Fire-Fighting's alright (and, ironically, I felt it was my only option whether I liked the pokemon or not). And when you've got half the entire pokedex due to amazing pokemon from Dream World, shuffling gets a lot easier!
    That's true, but I always found Emboar to be boring at best, and I'd much rather have someone I like on my team (while not handicapping myself).

  8. #6328
    Mechagnome holz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    684
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebert View Post
    Blaziken and Excadrill are better, and don't have the horrible Grass typing.
    Mewtwo and Arceus are also better if you wanna name Pokemon from a Tier above. Not to mention that they have completely different roles. You are acting like any team just needs 6 sweepers. And again, you're ignoring Movesets and abilities. Please stop tralking like you know everythng about competetive battling when clearly you don't.

  9. #6329
    Scarab Lord MasterOfKnees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    4,633
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebert View Post
    And Fighting, and the only reason for this is that Steel's an amazingly defensive type making up for Grass being horrible.

    But is weak to Flying twice, Fire, Poison, Ice and Psychic.

    Agree with different kinds of Pokemon, you can say that for all 600+ of them, though.
    The big minus with being a Fire-type is that Earthquake is one of the most common moves, and they're easily offed by Pokémon like Excadrill and Garchomp, top tier Pokémon. Flying and Poison are very uncommon moves, only Brave Bird and Sludge Wave sees SOME uses out of those two, which benefits Breloom.

    And again, with Ferrothorn, the Grass counterpart makes up for the Steel type's weakness to Ground, which makes it a perfect counter to Garchomp and Excadrill. In that case, it's highly beneficial that it's Grass. Plus, as I said before, can't ignore the Leech Seed, which is the whole reason it is so strong to start with, while Power Whip is also pretty good on it.

    If any types are getting the short end of the stick, it's Fire and Flying types, just because of their weakness to Stealth Rock, which is a must-have move on any team these days. That's why Infernape and Emboar are Fire and Fighting, because Fighting is strong against Rock, I can guarantee you that's why Emboar is at least, so that it is actually viable (turns out that its move pool and Speed made it suck regardless.) In this case Charizard is actually one of the worst Pokémon in the game, it can work on a Sunny Day team and with a Choice Scarf, but that's only to try and 1-hit some Pokémon with Flamethrower, or specifically to counter Ferrothorn. But as soon as Stealth Rock has been set up, he'll lose 50% of his HP upon entering battle, and he's pretty much done for right there. Fire and Flying types lose 25% HP upon entering a battle where Stealth Rock has been set up, which is why you won't see any Fire or Flying types get any use unless their dual-type has a resistance to Rock (like Heatran and Gliscor.) The only exception to this would be Ninetails, and it's usually only used to open with to get Drought going on Sunny Day teams, it also has high defenses to make up for an Earthquake.
    Last edited by MasterOfKnees; 2013-04-20 at 12:04 PM.

  10. #6330
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebert View Post

    But is weak to Flying twice, Fire, Poison, Ice and Psychic.
    double weaknesses really dont mean much to be honest...unless your an abomisnow...i mean look at scizor, for 4 gens he has been the best scout in the game. and the reason breloom is overused is thanks to the very same ability scizor has..thats technician. thanks to an adamant nature and bullet seed. breloom potentially has the best attack in the game.
    my friend code...

    5241-1925-7760 name toasty

    up for battles ...after 10/18/2013

  11. #6331
    Mechagnome holz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    684
    Quote Originally Posted by sac View Post
    double weaknesses really dont mean much to be honest...unless your an abomisnow...i mean look at scizor, for 4 gens he has been the best scout in the game. and the reason breloom is overused is thanks to the very same ability scizor has..thats technician. thanks to an adamant nature and bullet seed. breloom potentially has the best attack in the game.
    And let's not forget spore. Which puts the enemy to sleep 100%. So if you're faster than your opponent, you can put him to sleep no matter what, which gives you s free turn to set up a Swords Dance.

  12. #6332
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    No, Worgie is right. If a group is larger than 10 it will automatically divide itself into hunters and gatherers and instinctively build a life around the general vicinity. Soon enough you'll have camp fires, pelts, and a hungry god demanding tribute by blood.

    It's basic human nature, Arlee. Trust me, I'm a marine biologist.

  13. #6333
    so? any news yet more on X/Y?
    my friend code...

    5241-1925-7760 name toasty

    up for battles ...after 10/18/2013

  14. #6334
    Quote Originally Posted by sac View Post
    so? any news yet more on X/Y?
    nope, thats the thing about pokemon, takes forever for news to come out.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

    FC: 3437-3046-3552

  15. #6335
    The Lightbringer Dewote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    3,254
    And I hate it.

    But yeah, with B/W it took almost 3 months for snivy's / oshawott's 2nd evos to get leaked (I assume it was a leak, as it was some beta art) and after 5 months every starter evolution got leaked.
    X/Y got announced 8th of January so that was a bit more than 3 months ago. Hopefully we get some good leaks this time too.
    FC 2793-2016-8218 - Name: Suoma

  16. #6336
    Mechagnome holz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    684
    Quote Originally Posted by sac View Post
    so? any news yet more on X/Y?
    Nope. The only things have been unconfirmed leaks. Like this tweet, from the guy that leaked the B/W Pokedex before release.


    Not sure what to make of it. But considering how secretive Game Freak is about sylveon's type, it's become more and more possible to me.

  17. #6337
    Banned Zildjian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Brighton, UK
    Posts
    314
    Don't suppose anyone could trade me an

    Adamant Scyther with Technician

    I don't think I could give you much as I've just started my White 2 game but in exchange I will give you my never ending love.

    Cheers

  18. #6338
    Mechagnome holz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    684
    Quote Originally Posted by Zildjian View Post
    Don't suppose anyone could trade me an

    Adamant Scyther with Technician

    I don't think I could give you much as I've just started my White 2 game but in exchange I will give you my never ending love.

    Cheers
    There aren't many people in this thread in general, and even less that play competetively. You should go to http://www.reddit.com/r/pokemontrades/

  19. #6339
    Quote Originally Posted by Dewote View Post
    And I hate it.

    But yeah, with B/W it took almost 3 months for snivy's / oshawott's 2nd evos to get leaked (I assume it was a leak, as it was some beta art) and after 5 months every starter evolution got leaked.
    X/Y got announced 8th of January so that was a bit more than 3 months ago. Hopefully we get some good leaks this time too.
    i really hope chespin doesnt turn into something ugly

    poor oshawott, went from this



    to this



    hopefully chespin doesnt end up like this

    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

    FC: 3437-3046-3552

  20. #6340
    Mechagnome holz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    684
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    i really hope chespin doesnt turn into something ugly

    poor oshawott, went from this

    [IMG]http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2011/163/8/d/oshawott_by_darkangelofsilence-d3ioz1h.png[IMG]

    to this

    [IMG]http://wikimon.net/images/thumb/0/01/Ikkakumon.jpg/200px-Ikkakumon.jpg/IMG]

    hopefully chespin doesnt end up like this

    [IMG]http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20091211173848/digimon/images/7/7b/Cherrymon_b.jpg[/MG]
    1st. Digimon is amazing, don't diss digimon.

    2nd Samurott is the only Gen 5 starter that is bearable.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •