Deleted

400w PSU With a MINIMUM 500w GPU

Greetings, a few weeks ago i bought a new Powersupply, a cosair 600w, a week later i got my new graphics card, radeon 6850 HD the card states a minimum of 500w PSU required.

So heres the deal, a week after getting my GPU my power supply died, so i sent it back to get replaced (This was 2 weeks ago Still waiting for a replacement )

So i had to put my OLD Psu back in which is 400w, Now i've kept away from high powered games such as crysis 2 / dirt 3, i bought Dead island with 3 other friends last night, but i'm worryed that playing it for a long time will burn out my PSU, i have an energy monitor pluged in and when playing Dead Island i only go up to a max of 330w's, So is it safe to keep playing this game, even tho its not maxing out my PSU. I'm not running the game max resolution nor max graphics to try keep the power down..

I'm not a massive computer techy so all help will be taken greatly

My processor is the amd black phenom 3.3ghz quad core, and running 4gb of ram on windows 7 home edition.

The card uses about 120W.
    It's safe on 400W but I'm worried that your PSU might not be exactly 400W, but something like 300W on the 12V rail.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2011-09-09 at 09:59 AM.

Deleted

Besides the wattage, there are other params PSUs have like: amperage. You need to have a proper amount of amps on a rail to support your GPU. And of what I know, old PSUs are out of the picture, cause they don't have the required amount (you should check the specifications anyway).

Deleted
    Thanks for the fast responses, firstly on the PSU Case it does state 400w, this is what i know from changing it the other week, and for the amps, i'm not sure what its using only way to find out is for me to take it out because it sits upside down in my case i can't read the lable

And for that website, infact my card is a 8670 so infact under load its using a bit more than we thought.

According to http://www.anandtech.com/bench/GPU11/233, the HD 6870 in a full system will eat about 310 watts. Unless the power supply you have is of poor quality, you should be fine at least for a short while.

If it is of poor quality though... beware! What manufacturer is it?
    Super casual.

Deleted
    Well i got the PSU with the computer i bought which was about 3 years ago, i couldnt tell you what the make is unless i take it out, but i've never had any problems with it and it gets alot of useage

Deleted
    Open up the case and check for the manual printed on the PSU. Take a picture (or simply note down the values). Then check how much wattage that PSU actually pulls on the 12V rail(s). For your computer, it needs to be around ~280W to ~340W depending on usage, overclocks and other parts (fan, drives, etc).

Chances that you will "burn-out" your PSU is slim though; it will basically just shut down (if it's not a crappy PSU - I'll just assume it isn't).

Even the "best" 400W PSUs usually have about 330-350W on the 12V rail. For a bad PSU it might be somewhere about 250W.

400W works in most cases but I'd still get 500W or higher