27inch Monitor for $229.99....should I buy this?

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...9&sku=A3401314

I've been looking for a new monitor, and I found this one with a coupon code. I can purchase it for 229.99. A monitor they apparently sell normally for 469.99. Do you guys see anything wrong with the specs or anything on this? Right now I use two monitors, both 22 inch with only 1680X1050. I'd be using 3 monitors with this 27 incher with a 1920x1080 resolution. Thats freaking Huge! I was hoping for a slightly higher resolution, but with that deal it would be hard to pass up.

The reviews for it arent GREAT, which leaves me a little worried. What do you guys think? My budget is about $200, so if you have other options, let me knoww.

Thanks.

It's not that amazing considering the fact that it's TFT, but it's probably better than what you currently have.

10+ Year Old Account
    honestly.. id say spend a few bucks more and get a 23-24" 3D ready monitor with 120 hrz refresh rate, will last you longer and look better.

Deleted
    I'm not much of a fan of 27'' monitors with such a resolution.

You have to keep in mind that larger monitors make you much more vulnerable to tunnel-vision; which is an absolute killer in games and raids (especially for a healer). The poor pixel-density also means you'll probably want to run with rather aggressive AA settings. You'll also need a fair bit of desk space.

Quote Originally Posted by pixul View Post
    honestly.. id say spend a few bucks more and get a 23-24" 3D ready monitor with 120 hrz refresh rate, will last you longer and look better.
    Have any links? nothing like that has really jumped out at me.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkXale View Post
    The poor pixel-density also means you'll probably want to run with rather aggressive AA settings.
    That requires much less GPU power than gaming on 2560x1600 with no AA, which is a proper resolution for monitors that big.
    There is nothing wrong with the monitor, except that it's big and with a lower resolution.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2011-09-09 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkXale View Post
    I'm not much of a fan of 27'' monitors with such a resolution.

You have to keep in mind that larger monitors make you much more vulnerable to tunnel-vision; which is an absolute killer in games and raids (especially for a healer). The poor pixel-density also means you'll probably want to run with rather aggressive AA settings. You'll also need a fair bit of desk space.
    /agree

23-24" is ideal for a 1920x1080 resolution. Anything over that and even at native resolution it'll look a little blurry. Plus at 27" going up in resolution to 2560x1440 means spending 4-5x which seems crazy but that 27" Dell Ultrasharp is amazing if you ever get to see it in person.

Also, I'm a little biased when it comes to pixel density since my 17" laptop screen is 1920x1200.
    3930K . RIVE . 2x 7970 . Cosmos II . AX1200 . 3x Dell U2312hm
    Computer Setup / DH / huntard

Anyone have suggestions on other options? I can't find a 24inch with 1920x1200 resolution with out the price jumping up to like 350+. Thats fine really, since I feel like 1920x1080 is still going to be a big upgrade from the 1680x1050 im currently capped at. Now I'm just having a hard time figuring out why some 24 inchers are $220+ and then there are ones like this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...l-_-24-009-305 which are only $150. It is on sale, so maybe thats it.

Is this 23.6inch a good choice? (On a side note, does anyone know why you can't filter certain monitor types in Newegg? like IPS and what not). I understand IPS is supposedly better than TN, but I don't even see what this is in the details tab or anything.

Forget abut IPS if you are on a tight budget.
    Otherwise, here is one.
    Here is another one.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2011-09-09 at 09:09 PM.

My advice is to get the monitor. I really don't know what people are going on about. I'm using a 27" monitor at this resolution and it looks absolutely great. I definitely would not trade it out for a 24" monitor. Could the picture look better? Probably.. but you know what? I haven't once thought about this.

Absolutely get the monitor. Anyone telling you otherwise is a tech geek really out of touch with what most people will enjoy.

1920x1080 and TN-panel on a display larger than 24" is not really recommended. Not only will it be pixelly, you will notice quite big colour-offsets even while sitting straight in front of it. Top/middle/bottom on a monochrome image would be distorted quite heavily.

I would not. 27" at that resolution would not look good. You'd be much better off buying a 23" or 24" with 1920x1080. Sure, it won't be as big (size isn't the only thing that matters though), but it will look much nicer.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...monzi/advanced

Quote Originally Posted by Crokey View Post
    You know you just wrote 7 paragraphs about some people you have never met, playing a computer game in a way you disagree with?

Thanks everyone. I went ahead and purchased a 24inch which just went on sale on newegg from my wishlist.

can i ask where you got your coupon? could use it somewhere haha

Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    It's not that amazing considering the fact that it's TFT, but it's probably better than what you currently have.

... What? ALL current LCDs are TFT. And Planar is actually a good company. Not saying that Panel is, just the company.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

Quote Originally Posted by ispano View Post
    ... What? ALL current LCDs are TFT. And Planar is actually a good company. Not saying that Panel is, just the company.
    I meant Twisted Nematic.
    I haven't slept in +36 hours, so excuse me for the mistake.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2011-09-10 at 12:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by charleybwoy View Post
    can i ask where you got your coupon? could use it somewhere haha
    It was just a code I got off a tech bargain website

F12$BZ9LBKWC04

Monitor was

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...9&sku=A3401314

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/m.../LS23WHUKFK/ZA

got this 23" LED last year. works wonders for me.

Personally I use a 720p 32" tv, and I love it. I notice no blurry edges except on fonts in wow at a distance, but that's a limitation to the engine, and not an issue with my monitor (they look like crap on even 1200 monitors).
    Edit: And I will admit one thing, with this large display and sitting up close, I do feel that my performance in FPS is reduced because of the large area that my eyes have to try and scan over quickly to find people shooting at me, how ever in warcraft I have no such issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristie View Post
    /agree

23-24" is ideal for a 1920x1080 resolution. Anything over that and even at native resolution it'll look a little blurry. Plus at 27" going up in resolution to 2560x1440 means spending 4-5x which seems crazy but that 27" Dell Ultrasharp is amazing if you ever get to see it in person.

Also, I'm a little biased when it comes to pixel density since my 17" laptop screen is 1920x1200.
    Exactly this. The 1080p resolution is too low for a 27" and doesn't look good. For 27", you want at least 1440p (I have such a display and its great). If you want a 1080p display, go for 23" or similar.