Thread: A little story

A little story

2 years ago I bought a Razer Naga

It's an awesome mouse! I couldn't play without it

But that's not what this thread is about.

I didn't buy a mousepad for it at first, and it worked fine. I just used it on my desktop. But after a while the desktop started to deteriorate from the oils on my skin and lots of use. So I was forced to go buy a mousepad

So I, being in a hurry, went to BestBuy to buy a mousepad. I bought a $50 "sharkpad" that was designed for high DPI mice like my Naga.

It was a total piece of crap! The mouse didn't even work on it. And it wasn't even worth returning because I would have spent more money on gas by the time I drove all the way back there to make it profitable.

So I order the Razer Ironclad thinking "well, its made by the same company as my mouse. so its gotta work, right?"

WRONG!

It's a piece of complete crap! The mouse hardly even worked on it... (a little better than the sharkpad, but still terrible)

So... I end up getting really annoyed with this. I go back to using my desktop as it was still the best option. I played using that for another few months, dealing with little pieces of fake wood getting stuck over my laser and crap.

I found myself getting really really really really frustrated with it last week... so I sat for a little while and brainstormed.

Then it occurred to me... what about cardboard????

Hmm... so I cut out a piece of cardboard that fits perfectly around my keyboard and taped it down with some duct tape.

IT WORKS PERFECTLY AWESOME!!! COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY FLAWLESS!!!! ITS AMAZING!!!!!

Oh. My. God. I am so happy!!!

Almost TWO YEARS later I finally found a mousepad that works....

I am just so happy right now!

Deleted
    Just use regular, cheap mouse mats. If the plastic ones are no good, get a cloth covered one.

Deleted
    Newsflash: Mousepads suck in general, for me atleast desktop will always remain my #1 mouse surface. I love my desk *hugs his desk*, if my desk starts detorating I'll just get a piece of wood, cut out the desk part and put the piece of wood inplace for it, or I take another piece of my deck, cut it off and exchange the pieces of desk also, oil on your body? WHYYY?
    Last edited by mmocf1858d9362; 2011-09-09 at 03:48 PM.

I don't use a mousepad, I find them an annoyance, just personal preferences. OP you shouldn't be in such a hurry to buy stuff unless you're rich or something. 50 Dollars for a mousepad you didn't even like could of been used for more important things. Meh I sound like a parent, but its true :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnasnimadan View Post
    also, oil on your body? WHYYY?
    You skin naturally contains quite a bit of fatty oils. Males have it more than females and during puberty the levels are quite a big higher than normal. If your desk has a coating that stains easily, the material is easily damaged by anything with a different PH - including the oils your skin contains by nature. The combination of frequent application of said oils (hand or part of hand resting on or sliding over the desk) and regular wear & tear (the mouse) can be quite detrimental to your desk.

My mousemat is quite simple:
    I cut a square in my desk. And I fitted a square panel of wood in the hole, with ~ 2mm of space all around. I covered it in a layer of cloth (cotton or fine linen, stretched across the top and attached with staples) and stuck it there using Velcro. Every year or two I take it out, remove the staples and cloth and replace the cloth.

Best thing about it: I like large mousemats. Tadaa!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragniel View Post
    You skin naturally contains quite a bit of fatty oils. Males have it more than females and during puberty the levels are quite a big higher than normal. If your desk has a coating that stains easily, the material is easily damaged by anything with a different PH - including the oils your skin contains by nature. The combination of frequent application of said oils (hand or part of hand resting on or sliding over the desk) and regular wear & tear (the mouse) can be quite detrimental to your desk.
    AHA! well actualy I should have known that because it seems rather logical, especialy when your hand gets ''sticky'' *shifty eyes*

But I thought he meant excesive (is that how you spell it?) amounts of (body) oil, those I've seen some women all coated in when they're showing off their new breasts, I mean their new dress and all that

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've always used my desk until about a year ago. Up to that point I had bought plenty of mouse pads, none of the really worked. I even bought a £30 one that had one of those gel hand rests on it, completely useless. So I gave up on mouse mats and just used my desktop. But last year while I was applying to University and had to visit one of those convention things with loads of Universities I had one for free in a bundle pack thing from a healthcare course or something. When I got home, I opened the pack to see it and thought I may as well try it, and sure enough it worked perfectly. I still use it to this day, although it is falling apart and I may need a new one soon :<

I use this mousepad that I got free with my old PC. It actually works great, even though its a slab of metal with some cloth on it. Never understood why it works better than every new desk i get or every new pad I try, but whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    You do know what islands in the ocean do right?
    They float
    true story