Overclocking has failed message on cold boot

I keep getting this message when I boot my pc from fully off. Now it's not a major issue as soon as I go into bios and out again it goes away but it is a minor annoyance. It started from using the asus optimize settings in bios instead of normal which has tweaked my cpu upto ~4.3ghz from 3.3ghz.

Cpu-z link: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1987320

Pc-spec's

CPU - Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz
    Motherboard - Asus P8P67 Intel P67 (B3 Revision)
    GPU - Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 6970 2048MB GDDR5
    Ram - Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz
    PSU - Corsair HX 750W ATX Modular
    HDD - 2 x Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache
    OS -Windows 7 64 bit

Any idea's as to how to get rid of this small issue? or if it's harmful to my hardware.

Have you tried upping voltage just a tiny bit?

Quote Originally Posted by Lyaral View Post
    It started from using the asus optimize settings in bios instead of normal which has tweaked my cpu upto ~4.3ghz from 3.3ghz.
    This most likely. AFAIK, "overclocking failed" messages on an ASUS P67 board at least points to a memory overclock being unstable. I know that ASUS' auto overclocking function likes to set the BCLK to 103MHz, instead of the standard 100MHz that the system is designed to run at (in a nutshell, doing that overclocks everything slightly, including your RAM).

Try setting the BCLK manually to 100MHz if you haven't and see if that helps. (If you have set it to that already, there might be something else going on)

Quote Originally Posted by Thes View Post
    Have you tried upping voltage just a tiny bit?
    I can try to but I assumed the motherboard's default optimized settings would handle all that.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyaral View Post
    I can try to but I assumed the motherboard's default optimized settings would handle all that.
    Reality: Nothing automatic is 'optimized'
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Deleted
    Using the auto-overclock feature has overclocked your BLCK to 103MHz, which isn't really good for stability as it affects all sorts of things in addition to the actual core in sandy bridge boards. In addition the auto feature has overclocked your ram to 1648,4MHz. My advice would be to go to bios, reset to bios default settings and then manually overclock the cpu. Even if you don't overclock manually just do the bios reset because that automatic overclock seems to have messed around with all kinds of settings you really don't want to alter for a stable system and trying to get your current overclock stabilized will be way more trouble than it's worth.

Doing what Adappy said seems to have worked, would you still recommend self overclocking? I was hesitant to try since I've not had much experience with the bios and I was only looking for a small boost in performance. Thankyou very much so far for your help and suggestions
    Last edited by Lyaral; 2011-09-09 at 03:35 PM.

Deleted
    Yes I would still recommend a proper manual overclock after reseting settings in bios, it's easy to do and there's plenty of guides on the net for it. I mean just looking at your cpu-z you're running 4,2GHz@1,288 (guessing 1,285 or 1,29 core voltage), with proper manual overclock you'll probably get around 4,4-4,5GHz with that kind of voltage, also your ram speed is still overclocked which may cause trouble later on. I also don't know what kind of settings the auto-oc has done on your bios but I can almost guarantee it has altered around settings that should usually just be left on auto or in some cases you'll want to disable some power saving settings to get a stable overclock.