Frost DK/Ret 2v2 question

Let me start by saying "I know that 2s is broken and that I shouldn't play it". Unfortunately, 2v2 with my RL Ret buddy is the most fun I have in the game.

So with that caveat, let me ask these 2 questions:

1) DW or 2H as a double DPS bursty 2v2 comp? Throughout all of wow, I've always thought of 2H as burst and DW as sustained dps. Methinks it MAY be a different story for frost DK, though. Does anybody know which works best for this particular scenario? (getting ready to buy my S10 weps)

2) Any general strats for this comp? Any "Rule of thumbs" out there? Right now, we just zerg healers, kite melee, and try to coordinate burst.

Thanks much.

I perfer 2H, but DKs using DW said it's more bursty as you spam Howling Blast as oppose to Necrotic Strike. I personally perfer Necrotic Strike so I play 2H on my dk. Damage-wise, it shouldn't make or break your comp so go with whichever you're comfortable with.

1) To set up kills against dps/healer comps, Repent -> Stun (HoJ) -> Strang -> Hungering Cold (If necessary) and you guys should hopefully gotten a kill by then.

2) For double dps, your dk might have to Hungering Cold early to make the other team use their trinkets. You should score a kill with just Repent and Stun on the dps you're not killing.

3) Leave arena if you see holy pallies.

DW (only if the 2handed weapon and the 1handed weapons have the same item level) is what you should be using with 2 dps. Necrotic strike doesn't hit for much but you get to use more howling blasts.

If your ret friend does what is reasonable and goes holy(dk+hpala=great), then I'd choose 2h if I were you. But still slightly different playstyles. As DW you get to do more frost damage than 2H but as 2H, your necrotic strikes hit much harder.

Thanks much for the replies. I know that on paper, DW is supposed to be a little better...but for some reason it just doesn't have the same rhythm as 2H does for me.

One last question....for this particular comp, I (for some reason) feel like 1 minute strang > desecration...even for 2H frost. I know that 2H means more NS which would mean more desecration....but it just seems like the kill window comes about once every minute (with the pally's HoJ, repent, and my stuff)...so 1 minute strang fits nicely with that.

All that being said, if one of you pros simply say "don't take 1 min strangulate...take desecration"...I will follow blindly.

Thanks again.

I'm not a pro by any means, but isnt desecration a god's gift to a pally? It's not like they have a snare or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by t2r2s View Post
    I'm not a pro by any means, but isnt desecration a god's gift to a pally? It's not like they have a snare or something.
    As dw frost you should have a pretty insane uptime on your frost fever slows in addition to desecration.
    Keeping your enemies slowed as dualwield shouldn't be a problem at all.

the only problem as DW is that you have 0 dispel protection, with 2h at least you get your runes back when someone spam dispels..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Illana View Post
    the only problem as DW is that you have 0 dispel protection, with 2h at least you get your runes back when someone spam dispels..
    who's gonna spam dispel when he's getting pummeled by a frost/ret combo ?

who's gonna spam dispel when he's getting pummeled by a frost/ret combo ?
    people above 1500?

you spam dispel means dks does no dmg

have you ever tried frost striking a target without FF on it? Hits about the same as necrotic strike without the healing absorb included.