10+ Year Old Account

New GPU for Diablo 3 and possibly BF3

MAJOR EDIT:

So my current set up I run is a ASUS P8P67 Pro coupled with a i5-2500K. My current GPU was not upgraded with this build as I had JUST bought it. (First time buildier mistake :P)

Anyway, so as I have quit playing WoW, I am interested in playing some of the new upcoming games. Diablo 3 for sure, and now BF3. So that being said, I no longer want to try to find another PNY 470 to SLI with my current one as just running one is HOT, and putting a second one in there is just going to make it worse. So I was going to purchase this MSI 580 instead of waiting for the new cards, and possibly having to deal with the bugs and stuff that comes with the new cards.

So the question is, would you wait for the new cards? Or just get the 580 now, and SLI later if necessary?
    Last edited by Deafyx; 2011-09-24 at 11:50 PM.

not quite sure $200 is gonna get you anything better if your not gonna do sli. Your pretty much asking for the impossible. I suspect the 470 will play dialblo 3 fine and hit high graphics in BF3 (assuming).

There really isn't anything worth buying in this price range(When upgrading from this card). The gtx 560ti and hd6950 are in performance pretty close to the gtx 470 and they cost more than 200. Personally I would wait for the launch of the hd7xxx (should come this year, as far as I'm aware) and then upgrade.

Deleted
    I didn't quite make out whether you have a single GTX470 right now and were planning on SLI or do you actually already have SLI setup going? But anyways, if you have a single GTX470 then you can't top it's performance with that budget, a GTX560 TI would give pretty similar performance but it's already over that budget. A gtx570 would be performance boost and should run future games just fine, GTX580 would probably be the only option that would give significant performance boost over a 470 but it's way over your budget.

470 vs 570, 570 is better and with a proper cooler will run alot cooler
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/305?vs=312

Now if you already have SLI going then there's really nothing you can do to beat that with a realistic budget, SLI 470 beats a single 580, SLI 560 TI would probably be close to equal in performance so you'd probably need like sli 570/580 or a 590 to actually get a performance gain and again these are all way, way over your budget.

SLI 470 vs 580
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/305?vs=312

10+ Year Old Account
    Negative. No longer needed
    Last edited by Deafyx; 2011-09-24 at 11:52 PM. Reason: No longer neccasary

10+ Year Old Account
    First post was edited with clarification instead of making a new thread.

MAJOR EDIT:

So my current set up I run is a ASUS P8P67 Pro coupled with a i5-2500K. My current GPU was not upgraded with this build as I had JUST bought it. (First time buildier mistake :P)

Anyway, so as I have quit playing WoW, I am interested in playing some of the new upcoming games. Diablo 3 for sure, and now BF3. So that being said, I no longer want to try to find another PNY 470 to SLI with my current one as just running one is HOT, and putting a second one in there is just going to make it worse. So I was going to purchase this MSI 580 instead of waiting for the new cards, and possibly having to deal with the bugs and stuff that comes with the new cards.

So the question is, would you wait for the new cards? Or just get the 580 now, and SLI later if necessary?

It's not like it'll be looking ugly with a GTX 470.
    My opinion is, "suffer through it", and get a 7000-series (or a 600-series, but they'll be longer) GPU then.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    It's not like it'll be looking ugly with a GTX 470.
    My opinion is, "suffer through it", and get a 7000-series (or a 600-series, but they'll be longer) GPU then.
    It is just the temps I have to deal with. Currently, I idle at 45% at 61C and loads I am looking at 80-100% at 80+C

Quote Originally Posted by Vanthem View Post
    It is just the temps I have to deal with. Currently, I idle at 45% at 61C and loads I am looking at 80-100% at 80+C
    That isn't idling then! :P
    But, while true that it's high, the Fermis are built to take it. It can handle it. The smacktalk about Fermis starting housefires and forestfires are for a reason.
    The 500-series aren't as bad as the 400-series, but they're still a pretty poor engineering feat in that regard. :P
    The die-shrink will remedy that, and finally release the fermi-potential. But in Kepler.

10+ Year Old Account
    It actually is lol. I can leave it all day doing absolutley nothing, and it its that hot.

The gtx580s are fantastic graphic cards - a little bit pricey though. Would probably just wait it out as well - winter is coming so the temps shouldn't be that much of a problem now.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would agree with most of the above. Just stick with the 470, it's really not that bad of a card, you'll be able to get a better idea of whether you need to upgrade bad or not once the games come out, especially with BF3 open beta out very soon.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanthem View Post
    80c loads? That's really nothing to worry about, surprisingly cool for a 470...the first batch of reference 480's would touch 95-100c and that didn't really stop them from doing their job. My (OC'd) 580 runs up to 84-85c in games, Fermi GPU thermal "safety" limit is somewhere around 100-110c.

It's not worth upgrading from a 470 to a 580.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

lol, you really think a 470 wont handle diablo3? Your very mistaken.

it will be fine for bf3, not ultra super duper but it will be fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eec003 View Post
    lol, you really think a 470 wont handle diablo3? Your very mistaken.

it will be fine for bf3, not ultra super duper but it will be fine.
    D3 AND BF3. The 470 will easily take care of D3. Never said it wouldn't did I?

My system
    i5-2500k 4.5Ghz
    EVGA GTX 470
    8 gigs ram

I'm getting 60 fps in D3 no problem. The 470 is a great card.

Deleted
    Closing. Don't necro (resurrect) old threads without adding something significant to the discussion.