Question about a (hopefully) cheap rig.

I plan on getting a new computer, or at least the main part of one made. I'm a relative newb when it comes to the hardware side of computers (Going to a university for Programming... so, yeah don't have to deal with the hardware side of things much. Plus I've never really be on the computer part of MMO-champ, so if I'm not supposed to post this here... or something... apologies.

I'm using the puppy build listed here as a guideline, ie: every part listed there.

Now, I already have a Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 video card, and was wondering if the upgrade to the 6770 would be worth the cash, or if my 5770 is compatible with the other pieces of this rig.

I also plan on skipping on the SSD, if there's not an issue with that.

Also; would it be enough to play some of the newer games coming out soon? Such as Skyrim (Just sort of a guideline, not even sure if I want to play that game), or even just WoW on complete Ultra? I just want to make sure I'm not getting a new rig that isn't able to preform. I'm not even sure if

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Astralli View Post
    I plan on getting a new computer, or at least the main part of one made. I'm a relative newb when it comes to the hardware side of computers (Going to a university for Programming... so, yeah don't have to deal with the hardware side of things much. Plus I've never really be on the computer part of MMO-champ, so if I'm not supposed to post this here... or something... apologies.

I'm using the puppy build listed here as a guideline, ie: every part listed there.

Now, I already have a Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 video card, and was wondering if the upgrade to the 6770 would be worth the cash, or if my 5770 is compatible with the other pieces of this rig.

I also plan on skipping on the SSD, if there's not an issue with that.

Also; would it be enough to play some of the newer games coming out soon? Such as Skyrim (Just sort of a guideline, not even sure if I want to play that game), or even just WoW on complete Ultra? I just want to make sure I'm not getting a new rig that isn't able to preform. I'm not even sure if
    The puppy doesn't have an SSD. The puppy is extreme budget, and an i3 system will beat it out.
    Keep your 5700.
    Get the following replacement for the puppy and experience success

moboMsi H67 – $74.99
    cpuIntel i3 2100 – $124.99

This is cheaper than the cpu/mobo in the puppy, and performs better.

If you really want to drop a little extra, especially if you have a micro center near you, you can get

moboMsi P67 without SLi/CF support – $89.99
    cpuIntel i5 2500K – $219.99

and save $90.00 (i5 2500k is on sale for $40.00 off, buy a mobo with it get an extra $50.00 off)

I don't even know what a micro center is, so I assume that's a no-go.

But thank you for the fast reply!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Astralli View Post
    I don't even know what a micro center is, so I assume that's a no-go.

But thank you for the fast reply!
    you're welcome. It's a computer parts store in the US, with some limited stores around (unsure of your location.)
    microcenter homepage

The AMD units are outperformed, especially in wow, by the sandy bridge i-core processors, with the i5 2500k being the best of them.

* CPU: Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz or Althon X2 2.0 GHz
    * RAM: 3 GB
    * HDD: 15 GB
    * Graphics: 512 MB card
    * Sound Card: DirectX 9 Compatible
    * DirectX: Version 9.0c
    Required for the game

* CPU: Core 2 Quad 3 GHz
    * RAM: 3 GB
    * HDD: 15 GB free disk space
    * Graphics: 512 MB Graphics Memory
    * Sound Card: DirectX 9 Compatible
    * DirectX: Version 9.0c
    and Recommended

As you can see, they all line up and you have a slight gap between the recommended and your set up. Bench marks mark the 5770 at 1671 while the 6770 is at 1749. The gap isn't very high, however if you're looking for a nice GPU for cheap, the Radeon 6850 is roughly $150 and is marked at 2842 being a very good upgrade for just 20 dollars more.

Source: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html#
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm View Post
    It's not that drugs are for people who can't handle reality. Reality is for people who can't handle drugs.

If you want i can show you my current rig, only 1000$ USD and i run wow at 250fps..yeah i know overkill past 100 but still you see the point.
    Maybe you could be interested..Inbox me if you need spec/info/pic
    Last edited by charleybwoy; 2011-09-10 at 12:15 AM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    6770 is just a slightly higher clocked 5770, stay away from it.