Thread: Space Marine

10+ Year Old Account

Space Marine

I know many WH40k fans have been waiting for a game like this for a very long time. So, what's the verdict? Mine can be found below in the format of a review that I wrote on their forums. Do you guys feel the same way? I know that PC users are having trouble with p2p in the multiplayer, please don't make this a discussion about that, don't rehash. Please let us know if you're new to the WH40k universe or not. This game has a lot of good that I can see players don't understand because they are new. There's nothing wrong with that, new players are good, however I just like to know when reading a review.

I have been involved with the Warhammer 40k Universe for 12 years, starting with the table top game, moving into that first person shooter where you played Tau, and one level as a Space Marine, followed by DoW and it's 2(maybe 3) expansions. I know what a true 40k fan was waiting for. I know the game that the TRUE fans wanted to finally be created. This is that game. When I saw the announcement of this game at E3, I was so worried. I couldn't stop thinking "there's no way they're gonna get this right." Today when I picked up my copy, my theory was disproven, and my mind was blown.

Every Warhammer fan knows that customization and looks are half the battle with this universe. This game keeps that in mind, and I think even takes it to another level. The graphics are downright spot on, and the textures are spectacular throughout the multiplayer maps, and not just on buildings. In other FPSs I always see areas where textures were ignored or poorly created, however I have yet to see this be a factor in this game. The character models speak for themselves, so I won't even go there. (Ok, maybe a little, *HOLY FREAKING CRAP AMIRITE?"

The multiplayer experience still needs to grow into its own, however, I think the foundation for it is solid. Small, arena style maps, with good sight lines, but also good objects for causing line of sight. Small maps coupled with a very well made jump pack system allow for competitive melee play (which I'm truly enjoying). The maps are symmetrical, thus allowing for fair, inarguable arena style play (ie: possibility for tournament play is viable). My favorite thing about the maps is all of the line of sight objects. As a player who enjoys the melee system, I find it fantastic to be able to jump pack 12 feet high, and then just as fast, slam down behind a giant piece of rock or debris. At first I was skeptical of the over-the-shoulder view, because usually I'm not a fan, however, after seeing the graphics and the customization options, I understand why, and agree with the decision.

While the game has a small list of shortcomings (ie: the whole p2p debate, and the obvious sign of some imbalance (i'm sorry, but almost 100% 1 shot with the dire maul is ****ed), I would still recommend it to anyone who enjoys a very well made FPS. And to any die hard WH40K fan like myself, I would force them to immediately drop what they were doing, sit down, and play this game.

One last thing before I go, and for me on a personal level, one of the most important:
    The cinematic value/feel of the multiplayer is bar-none. You can take all of the CoD's, and MoH's, and what have you, and put them together, and still not make a better movie/machinema with it. When I play the multiplayer, I turn up my volume really loud, and as I play I honestly just feel like I'm at the movies watching some pwnage. If a cinematic feel, and incredible visual awe value is your thing, please, do yourself the favor of buying this game.

I got it tonite and it is really fun, i love hack and slash games. No this is not a god of war clone, god of war was NOT the first hns so haters stop saying that!

I would love a PC version of the tabletop game... always wanted to get into it but I dont have the money/space or dexterity to play it. Anyone know of anything like the tabletop game for PC?

Don't mean to steal your thread OP just would really love this.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I was going to get this via Steam. But 90 USD? No way. Amazon has it for 45 bucks as physical media. Ever since the Australian dollar hit parity with the US dollar, Steam has been gouging us Aussies.
    Well that's just typical. Ten minutes before the most important party of my life, and half the house has been destroyed by a giant sandwich.

I like a game with a good story in depth story, from what I'm told it's just a bloody murder fest and lacks some depth and choices in the story.

Might pick it up when it's on Steam Sale.

Ive loved every second of my time in game. PC, bought through steam.

10+ Year Old Account
    glad to see people are receptive to the game like I was. I saw a ton of QQ on their forums about p2p network, and really not a dime else, mostly QQ. Glad to see people see what I see.

Deleted
    Ok, First the whine/problems: P2P system is fucking retarded, it's migrating to new host middle of the game(1 red bar ping for everyone, lagfest abound!), Waiting for reply from host yay...o'wait why I'm dead? and the lack of server-browser makes it even worse.

Also theres so many bugs with the steam cloud saving system...It's just irritating..and if you dont have it on, well, enjoy having your levels and progress 'resetting' pretty much everytime you start the game, dont worry, they'll come back...eventually. (Note that not everyone has this problem)

And with the whine out of the way; I really like the game, the SP story and the overall 40k feeling...delicious...and the guns...they're meaty and fun, well, most of them are...The multiplayer, when it works and you're not stuck in server-host-lag/change hell, is really good, I really love playing tactical with stalker bolter, shooting them at range? not a problem! shooting them up close? Not a problem! The guy with a big hammer swinging at you? Roll back,Empty your clip, profit!

And quick protip: Enable steam cloud sync.

Edit: Note that I'm playing on PC, incase you've no clue what steam is...<.< >.>
    Last edited by mmoc917598aff9; 2011-09-10 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Durp

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tovarish24 View Post
    I know many WH40k fans have been waiting for a game like this for a very long time. So, what's the verdict? Mine can be found below in the format of a review that I wrote on their forums. Do you guys feel the same way? I know that PC users are having trouble with p2p in the multiplayer, please don't make this a discussion about that, don't rehash. Please let us know if you're new to the WH40k universe or not. This game has a lot of good that I can see players don't understand because they are new. There's nothing wrong with that, new players are good, however I just like to know when reading a review.

I have been involved with the Warhammer 40k Universe for 12 years, starting with the table top game, moving into that first person shooter where you played Tau, and one level as a Space Marine, followed by DoW and it's 2(maybe 3) expansions. I know what a true 40k fan was waiting for. I know the game that the TRUE fans wanted to finally be created. This is that game. When I saw the announcement of this game at E3, I was so worried. I couldn't stop thinking "there's no way they're gonna get this right." Today when I picked up my copy, my theory was disproven, and my mind was blown.

Every Warhammer fan knows that customization and looks are half the battle with this universe. This game keeps that in mind, and I think even takes it to another level. The graphics are downright spot on, and the textures are spectacular throughout the multiplayer maps, and not just on buildings. In other FPSs I always see areas where textures were ignored or poorly created, however I have yet to see this be a factor in this game. The character models speak for themselves, so I won't even go there. (Ok, maybe a little, *HOLY FREAKING CRAP AMIRITE?"

The multiplayer experience still needs to grow into its own, however, I think the foundation for it is solid. Small, arena style maps, with good sight lines, but also good objects for causing line of sight. Small maps coupled with a very well made jump pack system allow for competitive melee play (which I'm truly enjoying). The maps are symmetrical, thus allowing for fair, inarguable arena style play (ie: possibility for tournament play is viable). My favorite thing about the maps is all of the line of sight objects. As a player who enjoys the melee system, I find it fantastic to be able to jump pack 12 feet high, and then just as fast, slam down behind a giant piece of rock or debris. At first I was skeptical of the over-the-shoulder view, because usually I'm not a fan, however, after seeing the graphics and the customization options, I understand why, and agree with the decision.

While the game has a small list of shortcomings (ie: the whole p2p debate, and the obvious sign of some imbalance (i'm sorry, but almost 100% 1 shot with the dire maul is ****ed), I would still recommend it to anyone who enjoys a very well made FPS. And to any die hard WH40K fan like myself, I would force them to immediately drop what they were doing, sit down, and play this game.

One last thing before I go, and for me on a personal level, one of the most important:
    The cinematic value/feel of the multiplayer is bar-none. You can take all of the CoD's, and MoH's, and what have you, and put them together, and still not make a better movie/machinema with it. When I play the multiplayer, I turn up my volume really loud, and as I play I honestly just feel like I'm at the movies watching some pwnage. If a cinematic feel, and incredible visual awe value is your thing, please, do yourself the favor of buying this game.

It's quite nice, but very repetitive, extremely linear and the environments are very boring after a while. Otherwise, yeah. Almost at the end now.