View Poll Results: What do you think the official music of gamers is?

Voters
465. This poll is closed
  • Dubstep

87 18.71%
  • Rock

130 27.96%
  • Techno

77 16.56%
  • Other

171 36.77%
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaellen View Post
    Dubstep is just a fad, it'll fade.

Orchestral scores and metal, that is where the gaming community is at. That is what makes up 90% of all game soundtracks, except for sports games and Thug shooter games *GTA and the like*
    If dubstep was really just a fad it would have died already, it's been going strong for years and getting more popular every day.

It's been around since the mid 90's and isn't showing signs of slowing down.

Dubstep is a weird genre though, it's like rap/hip-hop, it's got a lot of bad songs, but the few amazing songs you find make listening to the genre worth it.

Techno, many games have some form of it in their games, it has evolved with games since the 8-bit days. Remixes made of pretty much every game song made have been happening for many years, many of recent DJs themselves are hardcore gamers too.

http://www.strike911.net/

Dubstep is some new craze by some people who like one digital effect, out of the many more included and that are used in sync with nearly all technos. But even then, techno contains "dubstep" in it in a good number of songs. Besides a good number of games like me don't like dubstep at all, but I have been listening to techno for years, the "sound" isn't that different from what a lot of techno songs use, just its often done in a more "musical" way not just creating some wub wub noise (that isn't music, just noise).

But even then its a little hard to say techno, because your basic OSTs are often masterpieces of orchestrated work, and using an appropriate song for a game is more important.

I only say this due to a combination of quality and volume, that your basic techno has on game related themes.

Rock is more of something for movies, but even then that has been changing. BTW I like rock remixes of game OSTs too.
    Last edited by jayremy; 2011-09-10 at 04:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Courierrawr View Post
    If dubstep was really just a fad it would have died already, it's been going strong for years and getting more popular every day.

It's been around since the mid 90's and isn't showing signs of slowing down.
    I had never heard of it till last year.

Deleted
    The responses to the poll are so far restoring a tiny fraction of my faith in humanity.

It doesn't include rap/hip hop as it would be nice to see that get put in it's place too but yup, there's really not a lot to be said for dubstep. It's like bottled fail and will be forgotten about by all but a small, sad majority in a couple of years.

Who here remembers "hard house"? It was "made" by a similar type of "person" for a similar type of "person".

10+ Year Old Account
    Screaming Japanese girls.

Prove me wrong.

Dubstep has been alive for years in the Underground scenes in the UK.

It's only recently getting turned into complete garbage due to mainstreaming.
    I don't think it's possible to have a sense of tragedy without having a sense of humor.

It was mainly a UK thing until 2009, that's when it started getting internationally popular via the internet, still before that it was still going pretty strong in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Imamage View Post
    Put most of your cuttlery drawer in a food blender.
    Turn the power on.
    Voila, instant dubstep!
    Its more like a jack hammer noise, used in slow mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostylights View Post
    Drum and Bass <3
    This^^ DnB + liquid DnB are my favorite types of music ever (As well as Electro+Electro House). Dubstep is alright never been too terribly huge a fan of it but it isn't terrible. Right now I agree with those who call it just a fad because in my opinion it probably will end up just being a fad(Possibility, It may be here to stay as well). Although that doesn't mean everyone will stop listening to it just the people who listen to it because its the "cool" thing to do as a gamer right now. Just my opinion on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    BOW BOW BOW BOW WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB... every dubstep I've heard has the same beat so far, and I don't like that beat so it ruins it. :/
    Eh its decent dancing music
    It started becoming mainstream in 2009

Edit: ninja'd for 2009 post!

10+ Year Old Account
    dubstep sounds like garbage everytime someone posts it in their video all i see is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEcj2xi9Ctc

nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by georgevonfranken View Post
    Eh its decent dancing music

It started becoming mainstream in 2009

Edit: ninja'd for 2009 post!
    Eh.. straight up straight to the point techno is better dance music.

I prefer Taylor Swift

I'm a big fan of dubstep but truthfully, I listen to anything at all. Any type of music that catches my ear or encompasses the moment. Dubstep is awesome to run to and is wicked to work out with.

I don't like to say anyone one type of music is bad because I can listen to anything that sounds good to my ears.

Is it the official music for games? No. It's a catching fad that some people are listening to (see: Skrillex - Who I will be seeing live for my Birthday!) but a year ago it was Kaskade or Benny Bennassi. Techno is easy to incorporate in a video be it gaming or otherwise, so I can see how dubstep (up tempo, grungy wubwub base) can make it into gaming.

If you don't like it, that's cool. But personally I like it and it gets my blood going.

Mr Postman Dub step remix is WIN.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by georgevonfranken View Post
    Nope its actually wub wub wub wub wub. And im a fan of dubstep
    OT: I wish people would pick songs that actually went somewhat with the video, I almost always hit mute immedately
    Paragon is pretty good with that. Audioomachine makes some amazing sounding stuff. Too bad you can't buy it.

Deleted
    Just to be educational/helpful here's an example of what I BELIEVE (from friends who are into this sort of thing) counts as the current "pinacle" of dubstep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKX8U_M3kj0

There both local chavs, I mean... lads (sheffield, UK) and I think I may have had the mispleasure of an evening in one or both of the pairings company.

Quote Originally Posted by sizzlinsauce View Post
    dubstep sounds like garbage everytime someone posts it in their video all i see is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEcj2xi9Ctc

nothing else.
    I literally spent five seconds on google and found dubstep that sounds 10,000x better than that, if you're going to come in a thread and shit on people's opinions do more research.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I definitely should've included DnB in the poll. It is a really popular genre of music among gamers.
    Vanilla WoW was a diamond in the rough. Burning Crusade cleared the rough away and polished that diamond up. During Lich King, that diamond cracked from being over polished and in Cataclysm that diamond was replaced with a cubic zirconia.

I voted other, and I only voted that because there is no, "none" option.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-cleave View Post
    What is dubstep (I haven't heard of it before)? I'm curious.
    It's really terrible music, if you'd even call it that. No offense to any fans of it but man, if you are into good beats try listening to the Chemical Brothers or Ronald Jenkees. Dubstep is soooo bad

My two cents.