Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    "It is very GPU intensive and is not optimized on release, plain and simple."

OP here's your answer.

15+ Year Old Account
    Guys

A GTX470 does NOT go up to 100% fan speed, no mather what you throw at it. I even had mine have a safety shutdown (at 103c i think), and the fans still wouldnt move above 60-65%. To get 100% fan speed, you must use a 3rd part software.

To bad i got a custom cooler for my GTX470, so i cant share experiences with the stock cooler in dead island.

(Do note that i had the stock cooler during Nvidia driver 275,xxx. And the current drivers are 280,xxx)
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

10+ Year Old Account
    I've had my 470/465 hit 95% fan at 106C.. In dead island with my 470/465 I hit 87C with 72-74% fan speed Lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kailtas View Post
    Guys

A GTX470 does NOT go up to 100% fan speed, no mather what you throw at it. I even had mine have a safety shutdown (at 103c i think), and the fans still wouldnt move above 60-65%. To get 100% fan speed, you must use a 3rd part software.

To bad i got a custom cooler for my GTX470, so i cant share experiences with the stock cooler in dead island.

(Do note that i had the stock cooler during Nvidia driver 275,xxx. And the current drivers are 280,xxx)
    Depends ENTIRELY on card manufacturer and cooler used. EVGA cards having fan speed "unlocked" to 100% is not uncommon. It's also not uncommon that EVGA EE(/reference) designs need the stock TIM replaced and the heatsink properly re-seated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just turn on vsync, that should lower the GPU load. And use afterburner to create a custom fan profile.
    Something like this:

Then you can set which temperatures you find tolerable. And ramp up the fan if it gets higher then your threshold.
    Download link here:
    http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner...erSetup210.zip

Alternatively, you can Underclock the graphics card to drop the temperatures. It doesn't require a lot of GPU power anyway. The problem with Dead Island is that you get massive input lag with vsync due to the high framerate it gets without it. Tripple buffering can't cope. It's like controlling a Mars Lander.
    You can create up to 5 profiles for clockspeed settings, so you can easily press a profile if you want to play Dead Island.

Just adjust the slider, press appply, then save it.

I do the same with my gtx460-hawk when i know a game is not GPU heavy. I downclock it to refference speed, 675mhz. (Down from 850).

Last thing you can do, is play a better game. Like...pong?
    (Seriously, dead island's bugs annoy the crap out of me. It's hard to enjoy even with 3 mates).
    Last edited by Majesticii; 2011-09-13 at 11:45 AM.

Deleted
    [QUOTE=Dominian;13166849]Since it sounds like no one in this thread has played the game is just blurting out generic googled advice. The game is fun to play but it's very obvious it is a shaky console port.

It is very GPU intensive and is not optimized on release, plain and simple. Many many people with solid specs are having to use their gpu's fans on max to keep them from melting. Manually turning on Vsync can help but, the only other option you have are manually turning down other settings in the config.
    /QUOTE]

This pretty much explain the problem i also had some problem and i really dont think its my rig just wait till next update but they have so many problem atm i dont think all those thing will get sorted out quick

Deleted
    As others have said, it appears that Dead Island is a really shoddy port. However, as others have pointed out you should still clean up the GPU fans and heatsink, and ensure there's enough airflow inside the case. I myself have a GeForce 460GTX OC and I have not yet met a single game that had pushed the fan speed even to 60%, but then again, I keep the fan and heatsink clean from dust and I have really good ventilation installed on my case (2 ultra-silent fans on the front, one 200mm ultra-silent at the top, and one 140mm one at the back so there's constant airflow through the case)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    Depends ENTIRELY on card manufacturer and cooler used. EVGA cards having fan speed "unlocked" to 100% is not uncommon. It's also not uncommon that EVGA EE(/reference) designs need the stock TIM replaced and the heatsink properly re-seated.
    Sorry, i did not know that EVGA does this to their cards.

But my card is an Asus.
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

10+ Year Old Account
    Dead Island is a brand new game and has pretty good graphics. Your posting on the WoW forum. Wow graphics is like so not as intensive as Dead Islands would be.

I have the same problem however it ONLY occurs in wow on its character selection screen, if i leave it there for 1min my cards fan will go to 100% for some strange reason :P
    Synit 110 - Orc Elemental Shaman [Active]

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Synithin View Post
    I have the same problem however it ONLY occurs in wow on its character selection screen, if i leave it there for 1min my cards fan will go to 100% for some strange reason :P
    The menu makes the GPU load go to 99%. Basicly max load, which creates heat -> high fan.
    Install Afterburner and enable OSD.

Quote Originally Posted by Muraza View Post
    Dead Island is a brand new game and has pretty good graphics. Your posting on the WoW forum. Wow graphics is like so not as intensive as Dead Islands would be.
    Off-Topic Forums
    » Computer

This side of the forum is in no way related to MMO's. Eventhough it's on mmo-champion.com.

Quote Originally Posted by GayGirlie View Post
    I myself have a GeForce 460GTX OC and I have not yet met a single game that had pushed the fan speed even to 60%, but then again, I keep the fan and heatsink clean from dust and I have really good ventilation installed on my case (2 ultra-silent fans on the front, one 200mm ultra-silent at the top, and one 140mm one at the back so there's constant airflow through the case)
    Cool story bro.
    Last edited by Majesticii; 2011-09-13 at 12:35 PM.

Deleted
    If you're using the 280.26 drivers from nvidia it's kind of normal. They stated weeks ago these drivers could make your card run warm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hexa View Post
    If you're using the 280.26 drivers from nvidia it's kind of normal. They stated weeks ago these drivers could make your card run warm.
    Only in idle. They stated that it switches more frequently to 3D mode clocks to increase performance. Which i can confirm. But this has nothing to do with ingame termperatures. Since you're always running your max clock frequency.

This is just in windows, no 3d apps running. So high end cards like a GTX480 or GTX580 can run quite hot in windows with these drivers.
    Last edited by Majesticii; 2011-09-13 at 12:50 PM.

While it is a shoddy port, it's running fine on my GTX470 and barely pushing 50% GPU usage. This is with Vsync enabled, however.
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FlawlessSoul View Post
    While it is a shoddy port, it's running fine on my GTX470 and barely pushing 50% GPU usage. This is with Vsync enabled, however.
    True, but i noticed horrible input lag with vsync applied. Which would make sense given the fact how high the framerate is with vsync turned on. (200-300 at some points). This cannot be fixxed with Tripple buffer either.

Quote Originally Posted by Saithes View Post
    I've had my 470/465 hit 95% fan at 106C.. In dead island with my 470/465 I hit 87C with 72-74% fan speed Lol
    106C? Isnt that cutting it close to the max temperature? Perhaps clean your computer and check the airflow in your case.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by b0sanac View Post
    106C? Isnt that cutting it close to the max temperature? Perhaps clean your computer and check the airflow in your case.
    Nah, it wasn't anything to do with the inside of my PC. The drivers crashed prior and locked the fan at 40% so the cards fan never rose when the temps went up.. When I realized it I had to manually reset the fan using afterburner and it shot to 95% automatically.
    Last edited by Saithes; 2011-09-13 at 10:50 PM.