Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Feranor View Post
    Which brings us back to the start. To, say, a DAoC veteran the teamwork and strategy required for high rated Arena play seems laughable.
    At first I thought you said DotA, but now that I see that it's DAoC, I'm confused.

The strategy in DAoC was zergzergzergdidwewinyet?zergzergzerg.
    Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    Considering you just linked a graph with no data plotted on it as factual evidence, I think Stanton can infer whatever the hell he wants.
    Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence - Sometimes I abbreviate this ECREE

Deleted
    Which brings us back to the start. To, say, a DAoC veteran the teamwork and strategy required for high rated Arena play seems laughable.
    I've never played that like you have, just like you haven't played high rated arena like I have. I just watched a video after Stanton said it was just zerging and wasn't impressed at all, seems pretty laughable to me.

It doesn't, really, but hopefully you'll assimilate the point I'm making.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Biston View Post
    At first I thought you said DotA, but now that I see that it's DAoC, I'm confused.

The strategy in DAoC was zergzergzergdidwewinyet?zergzergzerg.
    Are you impersonating a troll today?

There's a difference between rushing Alterac Valley and playing 3v3.

Similarly, there's a difference between zerging between Crim and Crauch and playing 8v8.

Quote Originally Posted by Obelodalix View Post
    I've never played that like you have, just like you haven't played high rated arena like I have. I just watched a video after Stanton said it was just zerging and wasn't impressed at all, seems pretty laughable to me.

It doesn't, really, but hopefully you'll assimilate the point I'm making.
    You've probably just watched the DAoC equivalent of random Isle of Conquest match.

Because skill died with Cata. The only class that still maintains any entertainment value that isn't HURP HURP BIG NUMBERS are rogues.

15+ Year Old Account
    I miss when PvP was entertaining. That could be why most of the videos aren't, either.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you impersonating a troll today?

There's a difference between rushing Alterac Valley and playing 3v3.

Similarly, there's a difference between zerging between Crim and Crauch and playing 8v8.
    So your comparing 8v8 to 3v3? Or DAoC's 8v8 to RBGs? Apples to oranges in any case.

You've probably just watched the DAoC equivalent of random Isle of Conquest match.
    So why don't you link us a video showcasing the strategy that your talking about rather than dismissing whatever we might find browsing YouTube.
    Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    Considering you just linked a graph with no data plotted on it as factual evidence, I think Stanton can infer whatever the hell he wants.
    Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence - Sometimes I abbreviate this ECREE

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Brofl View Post
    Because skill died with Cata. The only class that still maintains any entertainment value that isn't HURP HURP BIG NUMBERS are rogues.
    I disagree, even rogues are just mostly about timing your dance right and pulling those 20ks out of your ass during it. Most classes still take a considerably big amount of skill to play at high ratings (as I've said, 2700+ sounds semi-accurate), it's the fact that Cataclysm is pretty much dead as far as arena goes (not only because of all the class-balance mistakes but because of shit like MMR exploiting) and every class has so many new, powerful abilities one can easily climb up to decent ratings while being a total dickwad that doesn't know shit about this game. TBC didn't require more skill than Cataclysm does, for example, lol.macestun, lol.druid/lock(/x), lol.paladinsuselessoutsideof5v5, lol.UA/SP, I could go on forever - the game has a whole is WORSE now and class balance is ever so slightly better but when compared to Season 7/8 (the most balanced) everything is bad, big numbers or otherwise.

Deleted
    I get your point and you're right, sure, but I wouldn't compare enjoying high rated arena videos to eating rocks; Are they really that excruciating? Even though most no one would follow them like others might (the 2400+ "select few") I'd be guessing most people that actually PvP in one way or another would be at least interested in seeing what goes on at 3k. If that's the case then I don't really know what to say, whatever floats your boat, I guess.
    Well I may be stuck at 2.3k, but I do find good arena videos really enjoyable. However I am interested in arena and it is my main focus in this game. I understand most things that happen in these videos even though I do nto have the skill to reach those ratings.

However most people don´t enjoy them because they don´t understand what is actually going on, it´s almost amusing how little awareness some people have even watching these videos (you´d think they would notice more when they are not actually playing).

I was talking to a friend of mine who only plays PvE and just get points from arena at 1400 rating about Reckful 3. He claimed that reckful did not actually do anything himself, it was all the priest gripping him so that he could do damage and the priest was just constantly healing him so he could do damage, he had not notice that talbadar was actually shadow, he had not noticed he was playing with a druid. He basically didn´t understand anything and thought the video was about doing damage as a rogue.

I guess you actually have to understand what is going on, not saying you need a certain rating to enjoy arena videos, you just have to have a decent gamesense when it comes to arenas. It also highly depends on the class, there are alot of classes that just have outright boring gameplay to watch (warlock, mage, warrior, ele shaman). While some classes like priests and rogues usually have really entertaining videos.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollspwn View Post
    It also highly depends on the class, there are alot of classes that just have outright boring gameplay to watch (warlock, mage, warrior, ele shaman). While some classes like priests and rogues usually have really entertaining videos.
    I agree with everything you said. The 2400 comment was just me setting a relatively random "bar" as for who might enjoy it and who might not, I fully understand if someone at 2300 knows what's going on in high rated videos, and that's a good thing as far as I'm concerned; as you said, and as I said, almost anyone who is interested in the PvP aspect of this game should enjoy high rated arena videos, even if they can't fully follow what the people are doing. Plus, the remark about Talbadar and Reckful is pretty hilarious, it's mindblowing how people like that can play this game. I guess PvE is all some people really care about, I personally could never totally ignore either (PvP/PvE) but clearly some people do it with ease.

As far as PvP videos go I also think it has a lot to do with the classes you're watching, though I'd say mage videos (certain ones, anyway) can also be very enjoyable - rogues and priests are, indeed, the most fun classes to watch for me too due to how much utility they have.

Deleted
    I remember some video where there was a elemental shaman in Isle of Conquest. The music was Pendulum - Blood Sugar and in the middle of the song he began singing himself. Quite funny and entertaining if you'd see it.

Deleted
    Gorzky actually has some cool cata vids tho. ^^ even if it's mostly about crits...

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with everything you said. The 2400 comment was just me setting a relatively random "bar" as for who might enjoy it and who might not, I fully understand if someone at 2300 knows what's going on in high rated videos, and that's a good thing as far as I'm concerned; as you said, and as I said, almost anyone who is interested in the PvP aspect of this game should enjoy high rated arena videos, even if they can't fully follow what the people are doing. Plus, the remark about Talbadar and Reckful is pretty hilarious, it's mindblowing how people like that can play this game. I guess PvE is all some people really care about, I personally could never totally ignore either (PvP/PvE) but clearly some people do it with ease.

As far as PvP videos go I also think it has a lot to do with the classes you're watching, though I'd say mage videos (certain ones, anyway) can also be very enjoyable - rogues and priests are, indeed, the most fun classes to watch for me too due to how much utility they have.
    I think the complete opposite about priest/rogue/mage videos. I've just seen too many... I see the same things.

If I do see a rogue/priest/mage video, I want to see some fucking amazing gameplay. It needs to be that 1 out of every 50 games that you just feel like the best player alive. In any RMP video I look for flawless gameplay, just because there are so many RMP videos out and I've almost seen everything.

I REALLY enjoy the Hydra talkthroughs, though. Those are my favorite videos from any class. He puts up those outstanding 1 out of every 50 game videos and explains what was going on throughout the entire game. It changes your whole thought process.

Mage videos are boring to me almost every time, but I can definitely recognize an amazing player.

Rogue videos get slightly dull to me when I see them rush in, force a trinket on the first two CC's, blind, and then spam ambush 3 times in a shadow dance for a kill. I like to see the style of PvP I saw in the past expansions where you didn't post videos to show your kills, you posted videos to show your gameplay and how well you showed you knew what you were doing.

I have to admit, PvP in WoW has been dumbed down quite a bit. I hate to be the nostalgia goggle guy but back then, there were actually long fights without the instant kills and resilience making it unfair. One could beat someone with epic gear when himself in blues/greens if you had the sufficent skill level to do so. Ah... How do I miss the days But of course epic gear warrior with CD's was a bit... powerful should I say xD
    Last edited by Poppasan; 2011-09-10 at 09:02 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppasan View Post
    I have to admit, PvP in WoW has been dumbed down quite a bit. I hate to be the nostalgia goggle guy but back then, there were actually long fights without the instant kills and resilience making it unfair. One could beat someone with epic gear when himself in blues/greens if you had the sufficent skill level to do so. Ah... How do I miss the days
    Yup :\

I feel like PvP is based too much around the gear now. Also, I feel like it's based around the 45 minute timer. You have to be able to last long into a match. I liked it better when it was more rare to hit the 45 minute timer because both teams just turtled (not because they just couldn't do anything).

PvP videos + resilience? Rather watch paint dry

You guys should check up Viscus 3 Warlock PVP HD on youtube
    This guy... is too good.

pvp videos are still the same, they were never entertaining at all, its all about watching a good player owning ppl and making montages of their best moments, NOTHING HAS CHANGED...

Deleted

Well this is a PvE game, I think it all comes down to tunnel vision, people who PvE focus so much on boss HP, raid frame HP and the specific mechanics going out so they don´t really watch the whole picture. A dps has killing boss and avoiding fire as only task, so when they enter arenas and there is no fire, they just tunnel vision.

I do still believe any player can learn to play pvp. That mage video was fairly entertaining it takes balls playing with a resto druid, problem with mages nowadays is that you dont see alot of innovative play, it´s just so much ice lance.
    Last edited by mmoc704a8b6868; 2011-09-10 at 09:30 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Example of good and entertaining arena video:

Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Biston View Post
    So why don't you link us a video showcasing the strategy that your talking about rather than dismissing whatever we might find browsing YouTube.
    DAoC is older than YouTube and the 8vs8 community prefers filehosters because YouTube shits on video quality.

But I uploaded a short excerpt: