View Poll Results: Who's the best main character in any video game of all time?

Voters
374. This poll is closed
  • Mario (Super Mario Brothers)

66 17.65%
  • Link (Legend of Zelda)

105 28.07%
  • Samus (Metroid)

18 4.81%
  • Commander Sheppard (Mass Effect)

55 14.71%
  • Cloud (FFVII)

30 8.02%
  • Master Chief (Halo)

45 12.03%
  • Sonic the Hedgehog (Sonic)

12 3.21%
  • Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)

8 2.14%
  • Pacman (Pacman)

12 3.21%
  • Pikachu (Pokemon)

23 6.15%
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

I chose Master Chief but

is badass.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rytlock Brimstone- Guild Wars 2

Why do people always link some terrible esoteric main character from a game less than 10000 people played because they happened to enjoy it when it comes to these "best of all time" topics?

To the poll, some of the options on the list aren't even in the same league as others. Mario, Pac-Man, Link, Sonic are the real prestigious contenders on the poll. Lara Croft is the earliest character on the poll to have had a real story generated about her in the game itself, but doesn't hold any weight compared to the top 4. Master Chief is a cool character for sure but same problem as Lara Croft. Samus is a nostalgia character. Metroid wasn't nearly as popular as the top 4 in its day, and I don't remember Metroid nostalgia even starting amongst the 25-40 age group until they continued the series on later consoles.

Of the top 4 characters listed I think Sonic probably had the most fun games to play, but Mario is the biggest icon of the console generation so the vote has to be Mario.

Edit: if you want to interpret the topic as "which character has the coolest background story" which is what half of the people in this thread are trying to do, then Snake really really really destroys the competition going all the way back to the original metal gear games.
    Last edited by HuntersAreBoring; 2011-09-10 at 09:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HuntersAreBoring View Post
    Why do people always link some terrible esoteric main character from a game less than 10000 people played because they happened to enjoy it when it comes to these "best of all time" topics?

To the poll, some of the options on the list aren't even in the same league as others. Mario, Pac-Man, Link, Sonic are the real prestigious contenders on the poll. Lara Croft is the earliest character on the poll to have had a real story generated about her in the game itself, but doesn't hold any weight compared to the top 4. Master Chief is a cool character for sure but same problem as Lara Croft. Samus is a nostalgia character. Metroid wasn't nearly as popular as the top 4 in its day, and I don't remember Metroid nostalgia even starting amongst the 25-40 age group until they continued the series on later consoles.

Of the top 4 characters listed I think Sonic probably had the most fun games to play, but Mario is the biggest icon of the console generation so the vote has to be Mario.
    Because popular does not equal best.

One that not many will have heard of; Ike from the console fire emblem games. I honestly thought that he was a well fleshed out char and I thought that he was mega awesome in those games. Not a flawless mary sue, so he was relate-able, and I also loved the fact that, through the game, you could see this, and many other characters, grow in who they are and become someone.

I mean, your options up there dont make much sense. Take as an example link (I love zelda games btw). He doesn't talk much or show much of himself. This means that the player instead projects himself onto the character. But ultimately, take link as a character and you don't know much about him at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    Because popular does not equal best.
    The video game industry is a business, so most popular actually does equal best.

15+ Year Old Account
    Mario and Solid Snake

Deleted
    he was not a main character, but Minsc(Boo) ;-)

Deleted
    Commander Shepard, Gordon Freeman, Kain and Raziel from the Legacy of Kain series, Guybrush Threepwood.

Quote Originally Posted by HuntersAreBoring View Post

Edit: if you want to interpret the topic as "which character has the coolest background story" which is what half of the people in this thread are trying to do, then Snake really really really destroys the competition going all the way back to the original metal gear games.
    Because opinions about what is "best" all have to be the same right?

Goku. /thread

inb4 superman can beat him

Quote Originally Posted by JustintimeSS View Post
    Because opinions about what is "best" all have to be the same right?
    Saying what character is your favorite, and saying what character is the best of all time in video games in a thread obviously geared towards which is the most iconic video game character of all time, are not the same thing. If it was, I would make a long post about how much I like Kurt Hectic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gordon Freeman
    “The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church”

-Ferdinand Magellan (1480 – 1521)

The answer is Mario. There hasn't been a good Mario game for years, but without Mario there's a good chance we wouldn't be here right now.

And these options are questionable.

10+ Year Old Account
    From the list: Cloud.

If I had to chose any character from any game, it would have to be Samanoske from the Onimusha series. He is a legend of main characters :3.

Quote Originally Posted by Mime View Post
    The answer is Mario. There hasn't been a good Mario game for years, but without Mario there's a good chance we wouldn't be here right now.

And these options are questionable.
    But is mario a good character? Mario is a game, not a char in my opinion. I mean, he's not fleshed out at all, and that is part of the fun. But if I was to write a book where I described a character in what he looks like, and then he did a load of stuff, would he be much of a character?