Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

has a woman ever been charged because was violent against her partner?

just curious if it has ever happened. people seem to victimize and give more rights to women when relationships are involved so I'm wondering if this is just a misconception or its actually true.

It's rare to hear about something like this happening, but it has happened before. I think it's just because men are too tough to admit they're getting abused by a woman so they don't report it.

Deleted
    If you're interested here is a PDF about it. It's a bit hefty but you might find it interesting.

http://www.law.fsu.edu/journals/lawr.../304/kelly.pdf

Deleted
    of course its happened, its just rare, not because it doesnt happen, but because its not reported as much i would guess.

Deleted
    It happens but less so than males and even less of the actual attacks are probably reported.

Deleted
    My grandfather was beatten by his wife (second wife) on a regular basis. Apparently the neighbour stopped her one time, reported it, but nothing was done. We found this out when the bitch died. (She died second) It happens, but people feel less sympathy, so the media doesn't show it. Hypocrisy at it's best IMO.

Even if it does happen, people will rush to defend the woman, saying that probably it was the man's fault.
    I remember reading on a case about how a woman killed her 3 children, people blamed the husband for leaving her alone at the house with the kids.

While it's much more uncommon, it does happen. The biggest problem is that it goes unreported because males are ashamed to get help.

If you are assaulted, no matter who did it, REPORT IT. (You got me to post. Are you happy?)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebane View Post
    My grandfather was beatten by his wife (second wife) on a regular basis. Apparently the neighbour stopped her one time, reported it, but nothing was done. We found this out when the bitch died. (She died second) It happens, but people feel less sympathy, so the media doesn't show it. Hypocrisy at it's best IMO.
    That's messed up man.
    Quote Originally Posted by pixxel View Post
    Even if it does happen, people will rush to defend the woman, saying that probably it was the man's fault.
    I remember reading on a case about how a woman killed her 3 children, people blamed the husband for leaving her alone at the house with the kids.
    Yea, i've heard of stuff like that. Again that's messed up, as if it's weird or out of the ordinary for a man to leave his kids with his wife which happens to be their mother .
    Last edited by Fuze; 2011-09-10 at 09:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Selkhet View Post
    While it's much more uncommon, it does happen. The biggest problem is that it goes unreported because males are ashamed to get help.

If you are assaulted, no matter who did it, REPORT IT. (You got me to post. Are you happy?)
    This. ^
    I fortunately don't know any woman, or any man that has been domestically abused, but I hear stories about how women are afraid to report their husbands...why?:/

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Selkhet View Post

idd, but a lot of times men aren't taken seriously if they report something like that. Would likely be laughed at by friends etc, but i agree it should be reported.

Deleted
    Sure, but it's ofc a lot more controversial, when a woman gets hit by a man..

Quote Originally Posted by Cadfuert View Post
    It happens but less so than males and even less of the actual attacks are probably reported.
    I don't think that's true. Some council person came in to our school and did some presentation on society and relationships or something and I THINK she said women abuse more. I could be wrong though.

I live in England, obviously it might not be true everywhere.

This. ^
    I fortunately don't know any woman, or any man that has been domestically abused, but I hear stories about how women are afraid to report their husbands...why?:/
    Fear of future retaliation, or retaliation against their loved ones, children or even pets. Do you remember that case about the Microsoft developer who got a restraining order on her mate, and he still managed to invade her company building and gun her down?

Besides that, domestic violence harms the victim psychologically as well, and she often feels "deserving" of the violence. Abusers tend to know very well how to manipulate other people and break their self-esteem.

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    idd, but a lot of times men aren't taken seriously if they report something like that. Would likely be laughed at by friends etc, but i agree it should be reported.
    Well, what is worse? Being laughed at or being beaten?

The Lightbringer eternalwhitemoon's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I hear stories about how women are afraid to report their husbands...why?:/
    The reason(s) why is (are) complex. I can attest to personal experience on this one.

A lot of it is often related to fear. Fear of further abuse, fear of being rejected by the abuser (strange but true), fear of never being good enough for anyone else. Feeling like they somehow deserved it, if they'd just done what the abuser wanted it would have been OK. Things like that.

In my situation, I was fairly sure he was going to literally kill me if I started a ruckus. So I kept it to myself. Why on earth would I risk being killed when I can just behave how he wants me to and not get hit?

One of my ex's got arrested for stabbing me. So yes
    Quote Originally Posted by kasath
    is anyone in this group under 18? my parole officer says I'm not allowed to play wow with anyone under 18

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pfeff View Post
    One of my ex's got arrested for stabbing me. So yes
    was she sentenced?

I think to go along with a man's being ashamed, it is also probably unreported because men are typically more physically dominating, meaning if a woman DOES go after her husband, he can rather easily subdue/stop her.

I guess that sort of ends the technical label of abuse, but it's attempted abuse, I suppose.

Also, kind of a side-issue: is it abuse if a man beats a woman in retaliation to a woman's actions? People always go on that men should never hit women, but I think that's a load of bull. If a woman chooses to escalate a matter to physical blows, she pretty much has whatever coming to her.

This is also from the perspective of someone who hasn't ever had a physical altercation with a personal other than my sister, and even that stopped several years ago when we were teenagers.

Deleted
    Its a guy thing i was in an abusive relatonship and my morals ad ethics i wouldnt hit back it took her nearly drowning me due to a strike to my head witha soap dish while in the bath to leave her and still took me 2 years to tell someone, my current partner

This. ^
    Its the control. The abusers control the partners totally, often through psychological methods, such as convincing the one being abused that it is their fault (if you cleaned up the house maybe I wouldnt be so angry, things like that).

OT: It does happen, but is rarely reported because of what people will think of the men.