1. #7161
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    370
    Let's go han Gohome.
    What? Why? When? Who? Which? How? Wait...
    Havoc Demon Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by Monolith of Mazes View Post
    Dun dun dunnnnnnnnnn! The thick plottens.

  2. #7162
    Legendary! UnifiedDivide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    6,837
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoma View Post
    Some of them could be, since they take place during timeskips.

    5. Cooler's Revenge takes place between Goku's arrival on Earth and the Android Saga
    9. Bojack Unbound takes place a year after the Cell Saga, several years before the Great Saiyaman Saga
    13. Wrath of the Dragon takes place after Kid Buu's defeat, but before Uub.
    14. Battle of the Gods takes place after 13, plus being made by Akira Toriyama himself makes it more canon.
    While there is still debate about Bojack, I don't think he fits in the timeline. Battle of Gods is obvious. Cooler's Revenge doesn't fit. And I guess Wrath of the Dragon fits too.

    The other movies don't fit with the series though. The two TV specials, however, are considered fully canon in terms of timeline and story. Mostly because one is kind of a prequel (even though Bardock started out as a filler character ^^) and the other is an alternate timeline where Trunks actually comes to the timeline of the series.

    The rest are just standalone movies really.

    As for the TFS movie... "Drama queeeeen" xD
    Last edited by UnifiedDivide; 2013-11-05 at 10:19 PM.
    Sometimes updated...

  3. #7163
    a big movie time-line fuck up thing was with the hirudegarn movie. trunks getting his sword from tapion couldn't have happened, because the androids were already dead, goku was super saiyan 3, and everyone else would shit on the androids as well. though really, i always looked at dbz time lines working like it's believed to work irl. meaning when trunks travels through time, he doesn't stay in the same reality, he goes to another that isn't as far ahead as his.

  4. #7164
    Stood in the Fire Turin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    360
    Ha, I just thought of something. TFS loves bringing back Nappa. I wonder if they'll bring him back during the whole Cell arc in relation to those news reporter guys or simply during the Buu arc as the creator of that 'Satan beats Cell' movie. Or even perhaps involved with the Saiyaman movie. Aaah, so many opportunities for Nappa to appear.
    I want it to happen!
    The most manly trailer ever made!:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJDmP2crAlk

  5. #7165
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    While there is still debate about Bojack, I don't think he fits in the timeline.
    Bojack Unbound is one of the easiest movies to fit into the timeline of the series.

  6. #7166
    Fluffy Kitten Zoma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    8,090
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    While there is still debate about Bojack, I don't think he fits in the timeline. Battle of Gods is obvious. Cooler's Revenge doesn't fit. And I guess Wrath of the Dragon fits too.
    Why doesn't Cooler's Revenge fit?

  7. #7167
    The Undying GennGreymane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Wokeville mah dood
    Posts
    39,225
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    a big movie time-line fuck up thing was with the hirudegarn movie. trunks getting his sword from tapion couldn't have happened, because the androids were already dead, goku was super saiyan 3, and everyone else would shit on the androids as well. though really, i always looked at dbz time lines working like it's believed to work irl. meaning when trunks travels through time, he doesn't stay in the same reality, he goes to another that isn't as far ahead as his.
    One fan idea I heard of was this

    They manage to distract Hir long enough for Tapion to contain both parts for a short time.... Where Trunks then is the one to kill Tapion thus killing Hir. Like Tapion wanted in the movie.
    Last edited by GennGreymane; 2013-11-06 at 03:38 AM.

  8. #7168
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoma View Post
    Why doesn't Cooler's Revenge fit?
    Cooler's Revenge can't take place during the 3 years waiting for the androids mostly because Goku doesn't have the ability to transform into a Super Saiyan at will. That was THE most important part of Trunks coming back, him making sure that Goku could transform at will and be able to fight the androids. The only way the movie fits is if it was an alternate universe where Goku came back with the wish from Porunga.

    Basically the movies that CAN fit based on both the power scaling and the appearance of characters (in both how they look and the whether or not they're alive) are Garlic Junior, Bojack, Wrath of the Dragon, and Battle of Gods. Everything else is thrown off by things like Goku using kaioken and the spirit bomb with Piccolo and Yamcha alive, Dende being the guardian even though Trunks isn't in the movie at all and Gohan isn't a Super Saiyan, etc.
    Last edited by Avianator; 2013-11-06 at 03:48 AM.

  9. #7169
    Stood in the Fire Turin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    360
    Quote Originally Posted by Avianator View Post
    Cooler's Revenge can't take place during the 3 years waiting for the androids mostly because Goku doesn't have the ability to transform into a Super Saiyan at will. That was THE most important part of Trunks coming back, him making sure that Goku could transform at will and be able to fight the androids. The only way the movie fits is if it was an alternate universe where Goku came back with the wish from Porunga.

    Basically the movies that CAN fit based on both the power scaling and the appearance of characters (in both how they look and the whether or not they're alive) are Garlic Junior, Bojack, Wrath of the Dragon, and Battle of Gods. Everything else is thrown off by things like Goku using kaioken and the spirit bomb with Piccolo and Yamcha alive, Dende being the guardian even though Trunks isn't in the movie at all and Gohan isn't a Super Saiyan, etc.
    What are you talking about? Goku was always able to turn ssj at will. The reason for Trunks coming to the past was to warn everyone of the coming of the androids so they could prepare and in order to give Goku his medicine so he wouldn't die before the androids came.
    The most manly trailer ever made!:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJDmP2crAlk

  10. #7170
    Quote Originally Posted by Turin View Post
    What are you talking about? Goku was always able to turn ssj at will. The reason for Trunks coming to the past was to warn everyone of the coming of the androids so they could prepare and in order to give Goku his medicine so he wouldn't die before the androids came.
    That's my point. Cooler's Revenge can't be a canon movie BECAUSE Goku isn't able to. His Super Saiyan transformation against Cooler wasn't at will. It was in response to a life or death situation, like it was against Frieza. If he could have done it at will, he would have BEFORE Cooler almost destroyed the planet.

    When Trunks came back in time the first thing he asked was if Goku could turn into a Super Saiyan. I didn't mean it as the MAIN reason for him showing up, I just meant it was an important thing for him. Even if he's warned about the androids and survives the heart virus, what would be the point if he couldn't even turn Super Saiyan at will?
    Last edited by Avianator; 2013-11-06 at 04:22 AM.

  11. #7171
    Stood in the Fire Turin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    360
    Ah ok, sorry, I misunderstood you. Seems like I have to rewatch that movie though, as Goku not being able to turn ssj at will seems very weird.

    And lol, i was thinking of the wrong Cooler movie. It's true that he only turned ssj at the very last moment, but I always simply considered that his stubborness. We all know DB characters like to hide their power till the last moment. Anyway, that was just my view on it back when I watched it. And regardless of that, I can find a flaw in almost all movies that prevent them from being canon.

    Hmm, though you say ssj required a life and death situation, but that is not true. The trigger to turn ssj was strong emotions (and I think those emotions were supposed to be opposite of your character, though I'm not sure on that).

    And lastly about Trunks coming to the past, I doubt it was to check Goku's ability to turn into a ssj. It's more likely that he wanted to check Goku's general power. After all, Trunks was aware that both himself and Gohan were able to transform at will, so why wouldn't Goku. And Goku could easily have learned that in those 3 years, if couldn't already.
    The most manly trailer ever made!:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJDmP2crAlk

  12. #7172
    i thought goku went ragemode after the bird died in his hand in the cooler movie? it's been forever since i saw it, but i'm pretty sure it was either then or shortly after it.

  13. #7173
    Quote Originally Posted by Avianator View Post
    Basically the movies that CAN fit based on both the power scaling and the appearance of characters (in both how they look and the whether or not they're alive) are Garlic Junior
    No.
    why? krillin didn't know Goku had a son before radditz appeared. and well... Goku was killed in that fight.
    Garlic Jr. COULD NOT happen. (atleast not the manga-universe-timeline)

  14. #7174
    Mechagnome Dat Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Mega Drive Sonic 1's Special Stage
    Posts
    681
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    The two TV specials, however, are considered fully canon in terms of timeline and story. Mostly because one is kind of a prequel (even though Bardock started out as a filler character ^^) and the other is an alternate timeline where Trunks actually comes to the timeline of the series.
    Filler is when an anime adaptation stretches out the story more than the original source-manga did (a lot of the time with new content. e.g. characters, plot arcs etc). Bardock, however did actually appear in one panel of Toriyama's original DBZ manga, so he technically didn't originate as a filler character.
    An example of a filler character in DBZ would be Marron (Krillin's girlfriend) as she never once appeared in the manga.

  15. #7175
    The Undying GennGreymane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Wokeville mah dood
    Posts
    39,225
    Didnt babidi appear in the show before the manga?

  16. #7176
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    a big movie time-line fuck up thing was with the hirudegarn movie. trunks getting his sword from tapion couldn't have happened, because the androids were already dead, goku was super saiyan 3, and everyone else would shit on the androids as well. though really, i always looked at dbz time lines working like it's believed to work irl. meaning when trunks travels through time, he doesn't stay in the same reality, he goes to another that isn't as far ahead as his.
    Well there were three timelines due to the interference of time-travel. The Prime timeline which is probably future Trunks' timeline. The current which was made by Trunks interfering with the medicine and with Dr. Gero making himself into a cyborg while also releasing 16. Then there is the timeline in which Cell killed future Trunks after he left back to the future and stole his time machine to go back to the past to hunt for the present day and alive androids. So you're more or less right.

  17. #7177
    I still think the Future Trunks timeline doesn't make a lot of sense. They could've used the Namekian dragonballs to wish back everyone who died, Piccolo could have fused with Kami and defeated all the Androids. But no... they had to build a time machine.

    Well, I guess Goku would still be dead though, since he died of natural causes. But besides that, all the others could be saved. Even after the timeline was saved we still don't see Trunks making an effort to bring them all back.

  18. #7178
    The Patient Sickening's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    On my motorcycle riding on the highway to hell
    Posts
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    I still think the Future Trunks timeline doesn't make a lot of sense. They could've used the Namekian dragonballs to wish back everyone who died, Piccolo could have fused with Kami and defeated all the Androids. But no... they had to build a time machine.

    Well, I guess Goku would still be dead though, since he died of natural causes. But besides that, all the others could be saved. Even after the timeline was saved we still don't see Trunks making an effort to bring them all back.
    I think future Trunks wasn't aware that the Namekians survived nor of king Kai, Bulma was maybe but then how would he communicate with a being (king Kai) in this example if had never done it before and how would king Kai recieve that message then?
    Bulma could've created a spaceship aswell just like her father did for Goku but how would they know where new Namek is?
    And even then if they would find it you really think the Namekians would just let him wish 3 wishes to a complete and total stranger for them?
    And even if he says hes Goku's and the rest of teams friend how would they believe him it's not like he could ask it to them?

    So it is best to let hes timeline for what it is...

  19. #7179
    Quote Originally Posted by Sickening View Post
    I think future Trunks wasn't aware that the Namekians survived nor of king Kai, Bulma was maybe but then how would he communicate with a being (king Kai) in this example if had never done it before and how would king Kai recieve that message then?
    Bulma could've created a spaceship aswell just like her father did for Goku but how would they know where new Namek is?
    And even then if they would find it you really think the Namekians would just let him wish 3 wishes to a complete and total stranger for them?
    And even if he says hes Goku's and the rest of teams friend how would they believe him it's not like he could ask it to them?

    So it is best to let hes timeline for what it is...
    Easy. King Kai connects to the new Guru (I forget his name). Talks them into getting all the Z Fighters back. King Kai knows what's up. Really, all that should have happened pretty damn soon.

  20. #7180
    The Patient Sickening's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    On my motorcycle riding on the highway to hell
    Posts
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Easy. King Kai connects to the new Guru (I forget his name). Talks them into getting all the Z Fighters back. King Kai knows what's up. Really, all that should have happened pretty damn soon.
    I agree with that king Kai can communicate with future Trunks or Moori but I think that in the back of hes head it's best to keep them dead there arn't any evil scientists or people around in future Trunks timeline so why get the strongest in the universe back alive for no threat.
    The only exception might be Buu but I think supreme kai knows that earth is for 99.99999999999999999% dead, so it would form not a single threat so he decides not to tell anything either.
    And otherwise they will find a solution later.
    Last edited by Sickening; 2013-11-08 at 07:37 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •