10+ Year Old Account

Universities and File sharing

So as most of you know most Universities/Colleges like to block file sharing such as torrents and what not. Is there any way other than resorting to proxies to get around these restrictions?

If this is against the ToS of MMO-C feel free to delete the thread.

VPN probably. You will have to pay for a good one. Or create one by yourself with a computer located outside of the university.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2011-09-11 at 12:41 AM.

im not sure but my college uses Cisco NAC and it scans your computer every time you log on, so don't know about yours but mine you can't get around
    "one never escapes from the compulsion and chance to be powerful" Peter Sloterdijk
    i5-4690k --- ASUS Z97-A --- 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X 1600 --- EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3

I'd have to add that a VPN looks very suspicious, especially if you're making +20GB/day traffic or something similar. It will be pretty obvious what you are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by flareside View Post
    im not sure but my college uses Cisco NAC and it scans your computer every time you log on, so don't know about yours but mine you can't get around
    Ouch, thats a fairly significant invasion of privacy .. They make you install monitoring software to use their network... can it be disabled / port blocked?

10+ Year Old Account
    You should be glad they block p2p
    when I went to the uni, net was super slow because of all the digital thiefs.
    Now that they block it speeds to legit traffic are decent once again.

Deleted
    Either a good VPN or download stuff from home

Quote Originally Posted by lockblock View Post
    You should be glad they block p2p
    when I went to the uni, net was super slow because of all the digital thiefs.
    Now that they block it speeds to legit traffic are decent once again.
    Either one would be better than what I had.... couldn't p2p and the connection sucked for normal stuff too.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

why does mmo champion condone threads about things that are mostly used illegally

10+ Year Old Account
    Tunnel clients ftw

Quote Originally Posted by xindralol View Post
    why does mmo champion condone threads about things that are mostly used illegally
    it doesn't.
    if you reported the post instead of whining about it on the thread it'll get locked

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    it doesn't.
    if you reported the post instead of whining about it on the thread it'll get locked
    It doesnt necissarely have to be illegal. I for one am in a workgroup at university actively using file sharing in order to give everyone acces to given test results and so on.

It's funny how illegal uses of file sharing have significantly advanced sharing technology and made it much easier for legal uses of distributing files without paying premiums for servers. Heck even blizzard uses p2p technology now to make patching more fluent and less expensive.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by Syenite View Post
    It doesnt necissarely have to be illegal. I for one am in a workgroup at university actively using file sharing in order to give everyone acces to given test results and so on.
    Read OP again. Clearly isn't for legal things
    And like you said, at your Uni when it is for something legit it isn't blocked

Probably, but not necessarily... torrents are used for legal things too.

10+ Year Old Account
    True, was merely pointing out that filesharing could have legal and constructive use

Quote Originally Posted by Karteli View Post
    Ouch, thats a fairly significant invasion of privacy .. They make you install monitoring software to use their network... can it be disabled / port blocked?
    don't think so, my friend had a torrent on her computer and she went to go on the internet one day and he was blocked from the internet for 2 weeks for just having the program on her computer, she never even used it on the campus internet.
    Last edited by flareside; 2011-09-13 at 09:54 PM.
    "one never escapes from the compulsion and chance to be powerful" Peter Sloterdijk
    i5-4690k --- ASUS Z97-A --- 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X 1600 --- EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3