Point of Night Elf rogues

Night Elf rogues don't seem to fit right in normal Nelf society. Apart from their racial shadowmelding and their nocturnal nature, what's the point of a Night Elf rogue? Do they seek to protect Teldrassil and other Night Elven lands from corruption/destruction? Albeit secretly?

I recently made a Night Elf rogue on an RP server, but only for the racials, and i'm having a difficult time thinking of what to do with him.

Well, must the class that you make protect the land that they live in? As a Rogue, you could just generally be an Assassin or Thief. You don't have to be a good guy.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Rogues are pretty much the dirtbags of any race. They aren't good guys. They don't fight for any righteous cause. They are thieves and assassins, hired blades and criminals.

Quote Originally Posted by Elyaan View Post
    Well, must the class that you make protect the land that they live in? As a Rogue, you could just generally be an Assassin or Thief. You don't have to be a good guy.
    I'm not sure how far that'd get me. Aren't most rogues assassins or thieves? Doesn't seem too groundbreaking, or in the parameters of Nelves in general. Though, every race has it's outcasts... I dunno.

I'm kinda looking for something a bit different. Might be fruitless, though.
    Last edited by Vorticough; 2011-09-11 at 01:18 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you want some kind of possible military role, based off a rogue

I can see them as

Scouts
    They remind me of the Wardens, without the plate armor...dunno why
    Mage Hunters (could be interesting, they are a special corps to hunt down renegade highborne magi)

Mainly I see Rogues as scouts though, the Outrunners IMO are rogues
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

Well like you said OP, the shadowmelding and natural nocturnal nature just makes Night Elves perfect at blending in, aka stealth. It doesn't surprise me that Night Elves are Rogues because a Rogue needs to be quick, agile, and not big and bulky which is exactly what they are. Now a race that doesn't really need Rogues are Orcs.I understand the Orc's shattered hand or w/e cult it is, but Orcs are just barbaric in your face bloodlusted warrior types.. Why would they need to sneak around when they can overpower anything and everything that gets in their way? lolz

Quote Originally Posted by Bueno99 View Post
    Well like you said OP, the shadowmelding and natural nocturnal nature just makes Night Elves perfect at blending in, aka stealth. It doesn't surprise me that Night Elves are Rogues because a Rogue needs to be quick, agile, and not big and bulky which is exactly what they are. Now a race that doesn't really need Rogues are Orcs.I understand the Orc's shattered hand or w/e cult it is, but Orcs are just barbaric in your face bloodlusted warrior types.. Why would they need to sneak around when they can overpower anything and everything that gets in their way? lolz
    Mainly because all orcs aren't all bulky warriors with a similar mindset. Since Blizzard doesn't put multiple models in game for the same race, you don't see the skinnier orcs, who would be the rogues. In addition, not all orcs have the same personality. Some would prefer to go around their enemies and kill them from behind rather than rush up to them and attempt to cleave them in half.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Madgod View Post
    Mainly because all orcs aren't all bulky warriors with a similar mindset. Since Blizzard doesn't put multiple models in game for the same race, you don't see the skinnier orcs, who would be the rogues. In addition, not all orcs have the same personality. Some would prefer to go around their enemies and kill them from behind rather than rush up to them and attempt to cleave them in half.
    Agreed, there are even Orc assassins in the lore, like those that assault Draka and Durotan when they leave Orgrim's tent, or the whole of the (Horde-aligned) Shattered Hand.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rogues are a pretty broad catagory. When you see them slinking in houses and trees in Darn, they appear to be more of a shady criminal variety. They are the hired blades and cut-throats.

When you see them with the military, such as the outrunners, they are nimble and stealthy scouts.

Shaw (though human) represents another way to look at them, as spies and legetimized assasains in the sense that they work for the establishment.
    "I'll tell you something, my Tenchi, you know the carnival comes and goes. But if you wait for a while, it'll always come back to you, Tenchi."~Ryoko TENCHIxRYOKO FTW!

"The crystal is the heart of the blade. The heart is the crystal of the Jedi. The Jedi is the crystal of the Force.
    The Force is the blade of the heart. All are intertwined. The crystal, the blade, the Jedi. You are one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lokann View Post
    Agreed, there are even Orc assassins in the lore, like those that assault Draka and Durotan when they leave Orgrim's tent, or the whole of the (Horde-aligned) Shattered Hand.
    And you have Garona too.

She even does a few roguish things in THL
    Putin khuliyo

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    And you have Garona too.

She even does a few roguish things in THL
    Well, I didn't count Garona because she's a half-Draenei.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lokann View Post
    Well, I didn't count Garona because she's a half-Draenei.
    Or is it half human

/joking
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

I once read an article written by a guy who roleplays as a Rogue; he said he thought of his Rogue as a protector of his people, a protector who was not afraid of getting dirty or doing things that might be "frowned upon" in order to maintain that protection...

In the lore, the Rogue class encompasses an awfully large amount of "occupations", from petty thieves to highly skilled assassins to pirates and more. Some Rogues are cold-blooded assassins while other Rogues are flamboyant personalities (like Illiyana Moonblaze). Personally, I do not view my rogue as a thief who is willing to shiv a guy for fun, but more as the protector of the innocent who utilizes the shadows as a tool and isn't afraid of busting some skulls to maintain the peace (Batman style!).

As for Night Elves specifically, there are quite a few Rogues amongst them. Most notably: Maiev Shadowsong, who is arguably the most skilled Rogue alive. Her and her wardens are (were?) essentially what I described in the first paragraph, a group of very skilled fighters who do whatever it takes to protect their people.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2011-09-23 at 07:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Plenty of people above me already said this, but I might as well try to contribute.

Rogues can be a lot of things.
    They can be a simple bandit, or maybe a scout.
    It really all depends on how they act. (: