Thread: Is it worth it?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    Depends on what temperatures you find comfortable.
    P95 around 80-85. During gaming: around 50-55C
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiracle View Post
    P95 around 80-85. During gaming: around 50-55C
    I don't consider 85C comfortable if you are going to use it for something that can actually load it at 100%. For games it doesn't matter.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't consider 85C comfortable if you are going to use it for something that can actually load it at 100%. For games it doesn't matter.
    And he's using it for gaming, some video editing. Plus, there's no way of knowing what sort of chip he'll get. He may get one that ceilings out at 4.6ghz with good temps and vcore, it just won't take a higher clock. Hyper 212+ is a good cooler. Whether you'll need something beefier is dependent on your chip and what temps you get with your overclock.
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiracle View Post
    And he's using it for gaming, some video editing. Plus, there's no way of knowing what sort of chip he'll get. He may get one that ceilings out at 4.6ghz with good temps and vcore, it just won't take a higher clock. Hyper 212+ is a good cooler. Whether you'll need something beefier is dependent on your chip and what temps you get with your overclock.
    Hyper 212+ is not a high end cooler. In his situation it appears to work, but for heavy video editing it might not be that good. Depends on the person and the usage.
    If he keeps it at 85C for +8 hours a day, it will shorten the chip's lifespan significantly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hyper 212+ is not a high end cooler. In his situation it appears to work, but for heavy video editing it might not be that good. Depends on the person and the usage.
    If he keeps it at 85C for +8 hours a day, it will shorten the chip's lifespan significantly.
    I agree.

/tooshort

I'm not planning to overclock further than 3.9ghz if I see no need, so I suppose i'll be fine with the 212 plus (the video editing is really just some amateur stuff, plus I think the i7 is too much). About the ssd, will there be any serious difficulty to install it after the computer is built?
    On a side note: a friend of mine is recommending me to buy the ram with a better timing, like cl8 or even cl7. From his point of view the difference is easily spottable while working with videos and even while gaming. What are your thoughts?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Harizen View Post
    I'm not planning to overclock further than 3.9ghz if I see no need, so I suppose i'll be fine with the 212 plus (the video editing is really just some amateur stuff, plus I think the i7 is too much). About the ssd, will there be any serious difficulty to install it after the computer is built?
    On a side note: a friend of mine is recommending me to buy the ram with a better timing, like cl8 or even cl7. From his point of view the difference is easily spottable while working with videos and even while gaming. What are your thoughts?
    If you're talking about the 2500k, 3.9ghz you can run with stock fan and your temps should be alright.

RAM timings you'll only notice in benchmarks, especially if you're comparing RAM thats 1333 with cl7 timings with 1600 and cl9's. With gaming and working with videos the difference is barely noticeable if at all. Go with 1600's.