Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Never underestimate your opponent I'd say. You never know how much technique your opponent possesses.

---------- Post added 2011-10-05 at 04:14 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyhan View Post
    Anyway, I wonder if a tall person and a short person would be evenly matched in a fight if they were given the same strength?
    Depends on the strength level they would be on. If it's medium strong then I would put my bet on the short person because he would be more agile and has the same power in punches as the taller person.

If they would be in heavyweight class strength then I would put my bet on the taller person simply because the shorter person would not have enough body mass to get all that muscle power and still be agile.

Deleted
    Strength generally depends on amount of musclemass. Tall people generally have more. Therefore, tall people are generally "stronger", but it has nothing to do with the actual height.
    In isolated terms, shorter mucles are generally stronger than longer ones.

Deleted
    Yes, Taller people have more mass than shorter people = more power (assuming both the tall/short persons are of average build).

Taller people have a higher potential to be stronger because their build can more readily have larger amounts of muscle mass, but height itself doesn't make you stronger.

I'm not sure why you'd even think that height would have anything to do with strength. Strength is in your muscles, not your height so it is very much possible for a short person to be stronger than a tall person and vice versa. Same thing in a fight, both have strengths and weaknesses, it's just a matter of how the individual people use them.

I remember when we were talking about that at our Boxing Team.

Little physics:
    F = M x A.
    More mass = stronger.
    Faster = MUCH stronger!

Taller =/= stronger.
    Mike Tyson was 177cm height and still he was knocking down MUCH taller people than he is. Why? Because he was much faster than them, and also he was training on the gym.(more % muscles) If someone is shorter and is also weightlifter I'm sure he's stronger than the taller ones who are not doing any weightlifting.
    That's are facts, from my own experience and some science.
    Last edited by Eazy; 2011-10-05 at 03:14 PM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Tall people generally are stronger, but there are really weak tall people and really strong short people that are outliers. Its just like any other stereotype statement when classifying people its generally true but its not really a good indicator for classifying people by since everyone is a unique snowflake and bound to break the mold in some fashion.

10+ Year Old Account

Tall people have certain advantages because their height (and longer limbs) can give them additional leverage.

See those 6'5 bike riders who are zooming past you? They may not be any stronger than you are, but that extra length gives them an advantage.

Deleted
    To a certain degree taller people got small advantages in sports, but stronger i cant really say, in the same idea can you say that smaller people are faster that taller ones?

Average height of a US Navy SEAL is 5'10".

So the answer to your question depends on whether you think 5'10" is tall or not as the Navy SEALs are objectively badasses and can kick everyone in this thread's ass.

Deleted
    It all depends on whats going on in his/her's skull tbh i have seen small weedy people throw meat heads around like rag dolls.An old saying bigger they are harder they fall.But imo its about whats going on upstairs...mental strengh is the best of all no matter how big or small you are.

Why is mike tyson who is 6' being used as an example of a short person?

WE MUST ALL BE SUPER SHORT THEN.

Deleted
    Alderson is just a big lump.. he was destroyed by Mike.

if you compare a tall person whos not working out with a small person who IS working out then you seem to be comparing strawberries with melons good sirs!

also there needs to be some kind of definition of "strong" because what kind of strong do you mean? who can lift the most weight? or who would win in a brawl? or who pack the strongest punch?

i want to jump on the usingrandompeopleasareference-bandwagon too so im just gonna state this unchangeable truth!
    chuck norris isnt very tall, but still even his beardfist is said to end any person in one blow!

this is a false statement..........some of tallest in world are strong record holders and some of smallest as well.....it comes down to work ethic, technique, and genetics.........height has nothing to ado with muscle control, maneuvrebality, or strength. Comes down to the individual.....look at the nab.......lebron is stonger, more manurable, and has better muscle control than Kyrie Irving , but Marcus smart may be stronger and all those things than Jayson Tatum.......this statment is false and has to do with a multitude of factors besides height. powerlifting is about technique and proportion of limbs......there are guys who deadlift and work technique for yrs on deadlift but cannot hit other exercises as well.........this statement is false. I am not being preachy but just correcting a false statement. Everyone has lifts and strong points in their body. Obviously the key is the be complete head to toe. Longevity has its place and I think powerlifting for years will eventually do more harm than good. Weight lifting is going towards machines and isolation muscles that target both major muscle groups, minor, and stabilizing. Force = mass x acceleration as well. IF you can accelerate you have explosiveness and can lift as well and be more maneuverable, stronger, and have better muscle control (which is really mind muscle connection and other factors (Arnold schwarzonger) (to contract and eccentric muscle.) Not being rude, just correcting a false statement.

Infracted.
    Last edited by Flarelaine; 2019-07-10 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Necromancy

Yes. A taller person has longer limbs, and therefore has a higher muscular contraction potential creating more force for various tasks. Shorter people will look ripped faster, but taller people will become stronger than them 100% of the time.

In terms of maximal power, yes, a taller person is stronger at the same weight. You have a longer body, which equals more space to attach muscles, which equals more power. However, you can have a strength advantage being shorter. If you have a shorter 'throw' to your limbs, you have a mechanical advantage, as you're doing less work per extension.

10+ Year Old Account
    Necro, Will Robinson, Necro!

A thread from 2011 has been stirred from the past and stalks among us!
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Depends on how you are categorizing strength. In numerous situations, a persons frame size will invariable start to work against them (there's a reason so many gymnasts are short). In scenarios where you are completely isolating a single muscle group, it may not matter as much.