Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

[TV] Battlestar Galactica

More like Battlesuck Galactatrolled... I just finished this show on the recommendation of people on this very forum, and, I have to say I havn't been so incensed by an ending since Evengelion or A Farewell to Arms back in High School.

I know I'm a little behind the times, but someone please explain this bullshit. The whole show was, what, some great experiment in trying to get robots and humans to get along? Kara Thrace is some kind of wizard? Baltar and Six were avatars of some demigods the whole time? In the end, the show was just a big play on the words "dues ex machina" - one of the worst cliches in entertainment history?

Now, I knew the show was going to end with some sort of deific revelation. You'd have to be blind not to see that coming, but to just throw your ands in the air and say "well, fuck it, lets just blame the whole damn show on God" and not really explain anything is insulting. Ending a mystery with more mysteries isn't "deep" or "satisfying" its bad writing. Did they really expect fans to not get pissed when they hook people with wacky twists every other episode, only to end it all with almost zero closure?

The worst part is the ending doesn't even make sense!

Adama: "Hey guys let's just erase the last 5 years and pretend like it never happened - a clean slate. We'll go down to this planet with no shelter, food, or modern medicine, and we'll all split up! NO WAY will history repeat itself if we do that, even though it already has three or four times."
    50,000 people: "LOL THATS A GREAT IDEA!"
    Starbuck: "Frak this Imma peace back to Avalon bitch. Enjoy banging cavemen."

Or did I just miss something? If I did, please help me out here, because in general I really liked this series and I'm trying to find a reason to watch Caprica and The Plan... but with such a sour ending the thought of being put through another hack ending like that just makes my blood pressure rise.

Either way I'm never taking recommendations from you people again >: (
    Last edited by fews; 2011-05-13 at 05:41 AM.

its "LOST IN SPACE!!!!!!!"
    on a serious note:
    I wish someone would do a really good movie ore series based on...you know...THE FREAKING BOOK!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fews View Post

More like Battlesuck Galactatrolled... I just finished this show on the recommendation of people on this very forum, and, I have to say I havn't been so incensed by an ending since Evengelion or A Farewell to Arms back in High School.

I know I'm a little behind the times, but someone please explain this bullshit. The whole show was, what, some great experiment in trying to get robots and humans to get along? Kara Thrace is some kind of wizard? Baltar and Six were avatars of some demigods the whole time? In the end, the show was just a big play on the words "dues ex machina" - one of the worst cliches in entertainment history?

Now, I knew the show was going to end with some sort of deific revelation. You'd have to be blind not to see that coming, but to just throw your ands in the air and say "well, fuck it, lets just blame the whole damn show on God" and not really explain anything is insulting. Ending a mystery with more mysteries isn't "deep" or "satisfying" its bad writing. Did they really expect fans to not get pissed when they hook people with wacky twists every other episode, only to end it all with almost zero closure?

The worst part is the ending doesn't even make sense!

Adama: "Hey guys let's just erase the last 5 years and pretend like it never happened - a clean slate. We'll go down to this planet with no shelter, food, or modern medicine, and we'll all split up! NO WAY will history repeat itself if we do that, even though it already has three or four times."
    50,000 people: "LOL THATS A GREAT IDEA!"
    Starbuck: "Frak this Imma peace back to Avalon bitch. Enjoy banging cavemen."

Or did I just miss something? If I did, please help me out here, because in general I really liked this series and I'm trying to find a reason to watch Caprica and The Plan... but with such a sour ending the thought of being put through another hack ending like that just makes my blood pressure rise.

Either way I'm never taking recommendations from you people again >: (
    Ooookay I'll take the bait

No, the show was not an experiment in trying to get Robots and Humans to live together... where the frak did that idea come from? There was a Subplot to see if Humans and Cylons could interbreed, but mostly I think they just put that in to add a bit of 'tension' and to give Helo a reason for his stupid fucking existance (seriously, worst character and actor in the show)

Kara Thrace was not a Wizard, she was an Angel (okay I'll give you this one, that bit kinda sucked...)

Baltar and Six where... Baltar and Six, the imaginary versions that the other saw where... something else, I've read a few theories, ranging from the stupid (they where messengers from the gods, trying to guide the crew to their new home) to the more probably (they where consciences... of a sort..)

small note, the 'lets all split up' ending was tacked on at the last minute, for reasons unknown, in the origional script the crew all settled down in what in now Greece, hence the similarities between their beliefs and those of the ancient Greeks.

Alltold the ending wasn't perfect, but I liked it, and it certainy doesn't ruin what was otherwise a near perfect show for me, but hey, people are different I know for one I fucking HATED the ending to Lost, but alot of people loved it.

also don't watch Caprica or the Plan, Caprica is okayish, but only got one series and was fairly unsatisfying, The Plan was frakkin bligewater, and I just pretend it never happened, as it ruins the show for me..

also....seriously? NGE? I thought the ending to that was frakkin amazing... unless you mean Episodes 25 and 26, but those aren't really the ending, End of Evangelion is the ending, eps 25 and 26 are just the lolfiller that Hideaki Anno was forced to tack on, due to money/time constraints not allowing him to end it how he really wanted to (see End of Eva for the REAL ending, or better yet, the new rebuild which are epic beyong epicness)
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

I don't think there is a single good way to end a show like that short of mystery or lots of deaths. At least it didn't do it like lost, and actually made the ending unquantifiable.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    No, the show was not an experiment in trying to get Robots and Humans to live together... where the frak did that idea come from? There was a Subplot to see if Humans and Cylons could interbreed, but mostly I think they just put that in to add a bit of 'tension' and to give Helo a reason for his stupid fucking existance (seriously, worst character and actor in the show)

Baltar and Six where... Baltar and Six, the imaginary versions that the other saw where... something else, I've read a few theories, ranging from the stupid (they where messengers from the gods, trying to guide the crew to their new home) to the more probably (they where consciences... of a sort..)

small note, the 'lets all split up' ending was tacked on at the last minute, for reasons unknown, in the origional script the crew all settled down in what in now Greece, hence the similarities between their beliefs and those of the ancient Greeks.

Alltold the ending wasn't perfect, but I liked it, and it certainy doesn't ruin what was otherwise a near perfect show for me, but hey, people are different I know for one I fucking HATED the ending to Lost, but alot of people loved it.

also don't watch Caprica or the Plan, Caprica is okayish, but only got one series and was fairly unsatisfying, The Plan was frakkin bligewater, and I just pretend it never happened, as it ruins the show for me..

also....seriously? NGE? I thought the ending to that was frakkin amazing... unless you mean Episodes 25 and 26, but those aren't really the ending, End of Evangelion is the ending, eps 25 and 26 are just the lolfiller that Hideaki Anno was forced to tack on, due to money/time constraints not allowing him to end it how he really wanted to (see End of Eva for the REAL ending, or better yet, the new rebuild which are epic beyong epicness)

Except in the "150,000 years later" epilogue where it beats you over the head with the fact that it was all an experiment between humans and cylons and six and baltar are angels (or avatars or heralds of god or SOMETHING along those lines).

the ending where they settle in greece makes a TON of sense... that would have been a damn good ending. greece was a huge centre of math, culture, science, and medicine, it would have made total sense in the show if they got a jump on all that from the fleet. in fact, im just going to pretend like this was the ending for now on.

the problem with the ending is that in the last hour of the show they turned it all from "this is a story about the characters and the hard choices they have to make" to "this was all just a big plan of god's and the characters were just pawns with no free will"

and as far as NGE goes, yeah, I'm talking about the last two episodes... didn't watch the movie because of the way the series ended. i'll look into it now, though, if it gets a proper ending... the rebuild is better you say?

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Ooookay I'll take the bait

Kara Thrace was not a Wizard, she was an Angel (okay I'll give you this one, that bit kinda sucked...)

I really don't think you watched the show very thoroughly. Imaginary Baltar and Imaginary Six were in their OWN WORDS to Baltar and Six on the colony messengers from God. They diatribe at the end even confirms that they were, with Baltar saying that God never liked being called that.

Also, again - the whole thing between Imaginary Six and Real Baltar very clearly showed that the whole idea was the usher in a new generation of 'Gods children' - direct quote from Imaginary Six in Episode 13 of S1. During Season 1 and especially 2, Imaginary Six says, in no uncertain terms, that this altercation was Gods way of driving humanity away from the twelve colonies and to give them and the Cylons a new combined future.

The cycle of violence was inevitable, what God and the messengers were trying to do this time was change the conditions from the start - make sure that both sides (Cylons and Humans) had a combined future, rather than a future separate from each other that eventually ends up in them being at odds.

I didn't really like the ending, but there wasn't a whole lot they could have done differently - they needed to find Earth, they'd made a show distinctly about God and the intervention of higher beings, they just put them both together in the form of Starbuck.

What I would actually really enjoy seeing would be like ... a sequel miniseries to BSG where, on Earth, Humans have again made Cylons, but this time they exist peacefully with them as God intended and have done for a very long time (think hundreds/ thousands of years). They explore the universe together, and finds remnants of the 12 colonies (i.e, they actually do a reverse of BSGs journey), with each new discovery (as they would actually find evidence back to front - i.e, possibly signs of co-operation initially, leading to the eventual finding of Caprica and the other nuked colonies) driving more and more of a wedge between them as the cylons begin to realise that the humans don't trust them etc. Once they get to places like Kobol, they begin to realise that neither side can be trusted, and eventually they find the 12 colonies, where possibly, some of the original humans have survived, who have managed to rebuild, but have no real history of the Cylon-Human war (150,000 is a long time, after all) apart from legend. They attack the Cylons on sight, which leads to another war as the Cylons decide no humans can be trusted.

"All of this has happened before, and all of this will happen again".

I know it sounds cheesy, but that mostly just comes from me wanting to find out what happened to the few humans left behind and more about Kobol. I don't think either were explored as much as they should have been.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fews View Post
    and as far as NGE goes, yeah, I'm talking about the last two episodes... didn't watch the movie because of the way the series ended. i'll look into it now, though, if it gets a proper ending... the rebuild is better you say?
    Ooooh dude, you NEED to watch End of Evangelion, basically Hideaki Anno went back a few years later, once NGE had become insanely massive and basically made a movie that is what he had wanted to do in the first place to end up the show. the Rebuilds are even better, the only problem is that it's a four part movie series, and only two of them are out as of yet.... the third isn't even out in Japan, so once it's out there, add on a year for subs.... and then GOD knows how long for the fourth one
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    I loved the ending and saw it coming from MILES AND MILES away. I don't know how anyone was surprised by it :P

The first two seasons of BSG were good, but apparently the writers had no idea how to write a conclusion. Very dumb ending.

Quote Originally Posted by ramsesakama View Post
    The first two seasons of BSG were good, but apparently the writers had no idea how to write a conclusion. Very dumb ending.
    This basically, the first 2 seasons were dark and lacking hope, like it should feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
    I loved the ending and saw it coming from MILES AND MILES away. I don't know how anyone was surprised by it :P
    What do you mean, surprised?

I think everyone saw the whole Deus Ex Machina ending coming - they were just hoping it would be done better.

Liked the first 2 seasons and the New Caprica-Cyclon Occupation episodes up to the Second Exodus and a couple episodes after that. I thought the rest just sucked and felt like the writers were runnin' out of ideas.. and for the final episode, i kinda expected how it'll end..

Watched a few of that new Caprica on Syfy, ain't my thing, kinda like I'm the wrong type of audience watching it.

I hate the way Caprica ended in the sense that....it was like an amazing amazing end of season episode, NOT end of series. It made me want so much more and I was sad. But given they only had one episode to rap it up I think they did a great job of it. You should watch it either way, it's too short to be a waste of time!

10+ Year Old Account
    I loved BSG... season 3 was kind of a let-down with all the religious focus, but overall I enjoyed it from the first second of the mini-series all the way to then end of the credits in the series finale. As for the ending, I liked it. Sure, most of it was predictable since most of the prior episodes hint at the eventual outcome, but I honestly don't know how it could have ended any better.

This show honestly made me go insane when it ended, Netflix was on 24/7 for a week. I watched it from begging to end and fell in love, many people also complain about how the religion focus in the later seasons made them less interesting but that made it better especially for me. The show was really just showing how we are today, the same political issues, the same problems with religion and how we are essentially killing our selves with technology. The ending was perfect for me, it really shows how we are today heading down this path and that we might end up in a similar situation.

Amazing Show and I watched it right after Firefly which is saying something.

This is one of the better TV series out there. I spent a whole week watching this thing from beginning to end. While the ending is indeed a bit soft, it's still a damn good conclusion. I like that alternate ending of them settling in Greece though.

I too hated the ending, it really made no sense especially the "clean slate".

Remember, there are still cylons out there! Yes the humans blew up their ability to regnerate, but there are still all the Basestars, Raiders, Toasters that nuked the twelve colonies, as well as more copies of the humanoid models including Number Ones.

Apparently the Cylons, who completely hated humans, just gave up searching and let the humans multiply and evolve technology again in peace.
    World's 118th best Feral Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruan View Post
    I too hated the ending, it really made no sense especially the "clean slate".

Remember, there are still cylons out there! Yes the humans blew up their ability to regnerate, but there are still all the Basestars, Raiders, Toasters that nuked the twelve colonies, as well as more copies of the humanoid models including Number Ones.

Apparently the Cylons, who completely hated humans, just gave up searching and let the humans multiply and evolve technology again in peace.
    The cyclons that were given their Base Star didn't hate the humans at all, they were cooperative because they were now "free" in a sense. It's a mystery about what they'd do, but what's assumed is that they just want to get the hell away and leave humans alone.

The Hive was destroyed, though, so the "evil" cylons aren't operable.

My favorite part of the ending was it was set at the beginning of human history, yet the Cylons used All Along the Watchtower as a code in season... three?

Clearly Bob Dylan was a cylon.

It was a show i hoped would end better. But sadly it didn't.