Poll: Favorite / Best Square game other than mainline Final Fantasy

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Another Squaresoft Poll!

You asked for it. No.. you DEMANDED IT! Here is another poll, to cover some of the other greats of Squaresoft. And to all those who lit me up like a Christmas tree on the "Which Final Fantasy was the best" thread.. good news everyone!

Tactics is on this poll!!!

whats your fav / what you consider to be the best? Why? all sorts of other jazz!
    You guys know the drill! Yell at me for leaving your favorite game off even ^_^

If you don't see Mario RPG or Kingdom Hearts 2 on the list... select other. Cut a brotha some slack eh?
    Last edited by Orodoth; 2011-09-12 at 11:26 PM.
    If you love / enjoy WoW in its current state, don't bother with my signature...with all due respect, its not for you. (note: I am happy and respectful though, of your enthrallment with WoW... if not a little envious!)
    My dirty little nefarious nautical profession secret - its where I go to get my fix

This poll is even harder than the first. You should've put FF7 on this one. lol

How can you ask me to choose between CC and CT? They were both great... ughhh
    Vanilla WoW was a diamond in the rough. Burning Crusade cleared the rough away and polished that diamond up. During Lich King, that diamond cracked from being over polished and in Cataclysm that diamond was replaced with a cubic zirconia.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaeleena View Post
    This poll is even harder than the first. You should've put FF7 on this one. lol
    Rofl. I like curve balls. now vote! rawr!

but it is indeed hard for me even.

I HAVE to say Chrono Trigger, but Kingdom Hearts is my definite 2nd in the line up. I logged so many hours on that game. I expected it to be horrible, but it was by far my favorite PS2 titles. Who knew Disney and Final Fantasy together were so kick ass and deep?
    If you love / enjoy WoW in its current state, don't bother with my signature...with all due respect, its not for you. (note: I am happy and respectful though, of your enthrallment with WoW... if not a little envious!)
    My dirty little nefarious nautical profession secret - its where I go to get my fix

I seriously can't pick between Chrono Cross and Xenogears right now. -.-

You shouldn't put so many good games on one poll it's not fair! lol
    Vanilla WoW was a diamond in the rough. Burning Crusade cleared the rough away and polished that diamond up. During Lich King, that diamond cracked from being over polished and in Cataclysm that diamond was replaced with a cubic zirconia.

10+ Year Old Account
    You shouldn't put so many good games on one poll it's not fair! lol
    you went with Trigger, didn't you? the poll doth not lie

I have really good memories of playing FF tactics, so went with that. Dont remember if it was any good, just remembered that I enjoyed it a lot :P

Quote Originally Posted by Orodoth View Post
    you went with Trigger, didn't you? the poll doth not lie
    Let's put it this way. If the world was going to end in a time vacuum and I was only allowed to take one video game with me for the rest of eternity, I would take Chrono Trigger with me.

Realistically Chrono Cross would probably be a better game to take due to the multiple endings, but Chrono Trigger is still my favorite.

You should've included Super Mario RPG on this list, it would've been even harder to choose.
    Last edited by Kaeleena; 2011-09-12 at 09:14 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You should've included Super Mario RPG on this list, it would've been even harder to choose.
    Dammit! i KNEW i left something off!!!!!

ok...who voted option 9? that was there for the lulz

Ok, I put my vote in. I'll probably be one of the few, but I went with Xenogears.

Xenogears set up a long lasting train of thought in my mind that made me judge storytelling for the rest of my life. They portray Fei and Ellys love as defying god, and the way they portray the characters makes you actually feel sorry for them. By the end I didn't even see Krelian as the bad guy, just the misunderstood guy. And the philosophy that the creator pulled in from his influences from reading works by Nische completely sold me. I was then set up to enjoy my favorite game(s) of all time, Xenosaga. (Yes I know like everyone hates it, I loved it)

The only reason that this game beat out Chrono Cross, because let's not kid here. Chrono Cross invented the, "oh shit" moment in game story telling. Is because the game never continued. It discontinued.

I can sit here to this day and discuss the connections between Xenogears, Xenosaga, and the upcoming Xenoblades, but I can't go any further in lore (because there was also so little) with Chrono Cross and CT. Also I never played Radical Dreamers, sue me.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Voted for Chrono Cross, though KH1 is a close second. However Chrono Cross had too much going for it imo. Loved the music, the environments, the story, the main character even though he was a dork. Not the best battle system, but fun nonetheless and I liked the fact you could avoid encounters.

Quote Originally Posted by Mavecryst View Post
    Voted for Chrono Cross, though KH1 is a close second. However Chrono Cross had too much going for it imo. Loved the music, the environments, the story, the main character even though he was a dork. Not the best battle system, but fun nonetheless and I liked the fact you could avoid encounters.
    Yeah, I gotta say. Mute main character is probably one of the very small list of drawbacks to the Chrono series. That an the fact that they've been withholding Chrono Break from us for the last 12 years!!!!

Chrono Cross had one of the best battle systems of all time, you had to actually set up your characters like you did in Tactics and FF5 just to beat most of the end game bosses.

Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx View Post
    Chrono Cross had one of the best battle systems of all time, you had to actually set up your characters like you did in Tactics and FF5 just to beat most of the end game bosses.
    You can steamroll most of the endgame content with Team up Techs and heal spam. The only fight that I found remotely difficult in Chrono Cross was Miguel at the end of the Dead Sea. Kinda felt bad for the guy too because he was there against his will.

You can steamroll most of the endgame content with Team up Techs and heal spam. The only fight that I found remotely difficult in Chrono Cross was Miguel at the end of the Dead Sea. Kinda felt bad for the guy too because he was there against his will.
    Oddly enough, that's the only fight I had trouble with too. It's because the game was sooooo heavily reliant on elements. I really liked using the harlequin girl (along with being forced to use Lynx), and that boss was Light element, which was their weakness.

My vote is for Chrono Trigger. Hands down my favorite game of all time. Amazing story, amazing characters, amazing music, amazing gameplay. One of the best time travel stories out there.

Which is why I was so sad that I hated Chrono Cross so much. It was bogged down with too many awful characters that had nothing to them other than weird accents, had very little to do with time travel despite having Chrono in the name, had one of the most awkward 'leveling' systems ever, and a flat, awkward, easily exploitable battle system. I think the worst part for me is it felt like they had a game made and they were afraid it wouldn't sell, so they changed a few names, slapped "Chrono" on the front of it, and touted it as a 'sequel', even though it felt nothing like a sequel.

FF:T would be a close second. Absolutely incredible story about political intrigue with very challenging and fun gameplay. Had a few easy exploits (Orlandu, monks), but they were easy enough to avoid and still pull through the game. Xenogears was also fantastic, even if I hated any of the parts where you played as giant robots. Loved the battle system (when you were humans), with really cool and unique attacks for each character. The plot was a little rushed at the end, but was definitely really epic.

Kingdom Hearts was a let down for me. <_< I had a really hard time enjoying the game being forced to play as boring Sora when there were so many other characters I wanted to play as that were far more interesting. I couldn't really stomach the KH specific characters. I honestly think I would have loved it if they let you directly control a character other than Sora if you chose to. I wanted to play as Jack Skellington or Donald or Goofy or Aladdin or even Ariel, not some awkward tween with giant shoes.

Xenogears for Squaresoft's best story of all time
    Zhenji 90 Mistweaver
    Eonar US

10+ Year Old Account
    Chrono Trigger will win.

Kingdom Hearts. THE reason I bought a PS2. Final fantasy characters, disney characters, and a fully customizable gummy ship starfox style. Still waiting for them to quit dicking around with spinoffs. I just want 3.

10+ Year Old Account
    trigger is winning, as I expected. I wonder who would be on top had I left out the Chronos

daaaaaamn 9 votes on option 9. you a cold mistress MMO-champ. COLD

10+ Year Old Account
    Your poll is missing Vagrant Story. I assume that is a mistake