Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Microsoft Scam call, I got one! :D

And I recorded it. I kept them on the phone for an hour and a half, and figured it'd be way too long of a youtube clip for any sane person to watch through, so I decided to split it up into smaller pieces. I spoke with half a dozen people and they were working in layers, or steps. First one was the caller, the one introducing me to the concept of Microsoft knowing that something's wrong with my computer. The second one showed me that there's actually something wrong with my computer. Third one directed me to a website where I would download a program that allowed them remote access, the fourth one was his supervisor, and I don't remember the others (it's extremely late, took 9 hours editing the first 16 minutes of the clip!).

I don't have any ads or whatever on the clip, so from my understanding it wouldn't be against forum rules to supply you with the clip. Also, I would like comments on the (simple) editing and the entertainment value of the series, so I feel the Computer section is where this fits the best, even if it might be one of the smaller areas of the forums (though definitely the most interesting one!). And if you got a call from these people, and you decided to troll them, please share your story!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y14imD-hU70

And for your convenience, part 1:

Updated: Part 2 is done! Enjoy!

Last edited by Raphtheone; 2012-08-21 at 05:32 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, wait...the REAL Microsoft did this, or someone else just claiming to be MS did this? I can imagine MS getting in a whole heap of trouble if it was really them...

Rofl...that's freaking hilarious.
    Last edited by endersblade; 2012-08-21 at 01:30 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Haha, I'm only a minute in and I'm cracking up. Infected or hidden viruses!

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    So, wait...the REAL Microsoft did this, or someone else just claiming to be MS did this? I can imagine MS getting in a whole heap of trouble if it was really them...
    It's a scam. They want him to authorize a remote desktop connection and then they take over.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-08-21 at 01:30 AM.

LOL at the blueberry part!

Yeah, it's a scam by people claiming to be Microsoft. They call up to tell you that your computer is infected (they can't possibly know that), and tell you to download a remote desktop program that gives them access to your computer. They then do something, and then you'll have to pay them to get your computer back. It's very malicious, hence my desire to troll them, and waste their time as much as I can.

The lovely part is after the hour and half, we ended up in agreement that they'd call me back up. Which they did, but I had enough content to edit for now so I didn't take the call. With any luck I'm on the "call later"-list, so I can continue this troll. It gets very fun when they ask me what Windows version I have, and after some back and forth they tell me what I have (without knowing, how could they? ). It also gets fun when they ask me to read out loud my Downloaded list. I think I'll have to have a M for maturity disclaimer at the start of that part/episode.

Had me "at your name is Andrew Smith ?" Nice trolling.
    Last edited by cFortyfive; 2012-08-21 at 01:55 AM.

Deleted
    Oh god my sides. I hope they call me too.

Glorious, just glorious.

"I had cereals, with blueberrys that I picked with my dogs"

So good.

Awesome! If you have the rest recorded I for one would love to hear it! =D

blueberries.....my dogs love blueberries -giggles-

10+ Year Old Account
    Haha, this exact thing happened to me a few months back, i trolled them so bad! the video was epic, loved it
    Last edited by urdeathisqik; 2012-08-21 at 02:20 AM. Reason: spelling

I am laughing so hard. This is the best troll ever.

And Andrew Smith? hahaha yeah okay.

10+ Year Old Account
    You sir are a clever man! As the others have stated I love the "blueberries.....my dogs love blueberries" statement. Looking forward for part 2!

10+ Year Old Account
    Can we get links to the rest? Aside from being funny, that should almost be stickied so others can see what these calls are like

Your sir made my day.

i got one too last week i do regret not recording it(never pops into my head to record these things), i sat on the phone with them for about 45 minutes, as they went step by step through the process with me. I was on Counter Strike: Global Offensive the entire time. i knew this was a scam to begin with so i just did it to waste time.

usually i get calls from the credit people saying they can lower my credit APR, i give them 100% fake info, by the end of the call, i always say "well thank you for allowing me to waste your time, the FBI should be at your door in a couple minutes"

*i know they are not from my bank cause my bank does not call you unless its a call about possible fraud
    Last edited by ninjapaws; 2012-08-21 at 05:51 AM.
    01000001 01101110 01110100 01100101 00100000 01001101 01100101 01110010 01101001 01100100 01101001 01100101 01101101 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01110010 01100101 01100011 01110010 01110101 01101001 01110100 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100001 00100000 01100001 01101101 01110111 01101111 01110111 00101110 01101110 01100101 01110100

10+ Year Old Account
    Andrew, Matin and Sean... classic Indian names. Sounds like the same guy every time talking thru a hanky.
    Last edited by Blockygame; 2012-08-21 at 05:58 AM.
    HOOKED ON DIABLOL, GOOD TIMES ARE BEING HAD

Awh mai gawd, this is just hilarious Waiting patiently for part 2!

Haha hillarious, I've gotten three of those calls myself. Last time I played around with them listening and doing most of what they said until they went for the purchasing part where I started laughing and told him to get real.

Quote Originally Posted by Antheris View Post
    Awesome! If you have the rest recorded I for one would love to hear it! =D
    It's all recorded, and the rest is in the way as fast as I can spit them out. Might take a week for it all though, at least. I estimate having to go through an hour for every two minutes of the recording, I can barely understand what they're saying in editing when analyzing what they're saying, imagine how little I actually understood what they said during the call (which didn't matter, my point wasn't to understand them but to simply waste their time).
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    Can we get links to the rest? Aside from being funny, that should almost be stickied so others can see what these calls are like
    I suppose. =) Though if you're lurking these forums I imagine if some Indian guy calls you and speaks in english (for non-eng countries at least), tells you that he's from Microsoft and asks you to download something that isn't from microsoft.com, warning bells should've already gone off in your head. With that said, my intent was that if it was well-received I'd share the rest here as they come along. At least for the entertainment value. I've noticed so far that people seem to love trolling when not at the receiving end. That might be why me and my guild had such bad reception on our realm forums...

Quote Originally Posted by ninjapaws View Post
    i got one too last week i do regret not recording it(never pops into my head to record these things), i sat on the phone with them for about 45 minutes, as they went step by step through the process with me. I was on Counter Strike: Global Offensive the entire time. i knew this was a scam to begin with so i just did it to waste time.
    I wouldn't have the compartmentalization to do that. If I'm in a game, I give it my undivided attention. Even if I was the MT in my WoW guild I seldom spoke, because I was so focused on what I was doing. And the beauty of a recording is that you really don't have to share it, if it didn't turn out okay you can always just delete it and wait for another opportunity. So it never hurts being prepared. I'm not saying I did some pro stuff exactly, I'm just happy I didn't mess it up, I didn't really have any idea what I dived into, so now in hindsight there are a few things I'd do radically different.

Thank you all for the possitive feedback, it sure made me motivated to get the rest of the episodes out asap!