10+ Year Old Account

Syndicate reboot

It's been called the worst kept secret in the industry, and today it was publically announced: Starbreeze Studios (The Darkness, 2 Riddick games) and EA are rebooting Syndicate and making it into an FPS.

Lots of rage about it already ("Omgomgomg it's not EXACTLY like it was back in 1993, it must be the worst game EVER. Also, you've utterly DESTROYED my childhood.") but I think it looks neat.

http://www.ea.com/syndicate

So what say you? Yea or nay?
    When someone asks, “What is best in life?” there’s only one answer: “To crush the newbs, see them driven before me, and read their lamentations on the forums” - Lylirra

Deleted
    Looks pretty good to me but it should not be called Syndicate, looks to me like they will be using the game name to sell it rather than focusing on other points. Those graphics for example, they look great.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    The game might end up being great, but that isn't going to help things. Much like the upcoming Xcom, there are far to many people who hold Syndicate dear in the hearts for what it was. I know that, other than baffling decision to make it a FPS, this game isn't even on my radar. They really need to show something amazing to set themselves apart from the pack of generic sci-fi shooters.

My greatest fear is that the FPS reboot doesn't do well and ruins any chance we may have had of seeing a proper follow-up to the original Syndicate games.

Well syndicate was awesome, I loved the atmosphere back then. Seems a bit odd that they are making it an FPS. As rich states they are probably using the name to generate interest in what will probably be yet another FPS in a sea of FPSs offering very little gameplay innovation to otherwise differentiate itself. I kind of wonder how they will, if at all, approach the cybernetics upgrades of the previous titles. Kind of screams deus ex clone, and the team aspect of the original? Still, nothing is stopping it from being and enjoyable game, it has an interesting environment to build upon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Right, lots of comments around the net about this being a Deus Ex clone. How quickly do people think games are developed? ^^ Seeing as Deus Ex was out last month and both games have been in production for years, I'd say it's unlikely that either is a copy of the other. More like Cyberpunk is "in" once more.
    When someone asks, “What is best in life?” there’s only one answer: “To crush the newbs, see them driven before me, and read their lamentations on the forums” - Lylirra

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yavannie View Post
    Right, lots of comments around the net about this being a Deus Ex clone. How quickly do people think games are developed? ^^ Seeing as Deus Ex was out last month and both games have been in production for years, I'd say it's unlikely that either is a copy of the other. More like Cyberpunk is "in" once more.
    The original deus ex was out in 2000, 11 years ago.

15+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like it will end up like a deus ex clone when you know the syndicate world. Also fps doesnt = improvement - imo its more a lack of ideas,
    "Only Jack can zip up."
    The word you want to use is "have" not "of".
    You may have alot of stuff in your country, but we got Lolland.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    The original deus ex was out in 2000, 11 years ago.
    So the new Syndicate is a clone of Deus Ex from 2000 rather than inspired by the original Syndicate from 1993?

Deleted
    So the new Syndicate is a clone of Deus Ex from 2000 rather than inspired by the original Syndicate from 1993?
    I would imagine it would have been inspired heavily by it, yes.

See the gameplay for this.....

Then compare it to this.....

Deus ex and it's sequals definitely inspire this game much more than the original Syndicate does.

Deleted
    Yes, time travels backwards. Even Blade Runner is a clone of Deus Ex.

About the game, well, the age of hex tactical games seems to be gone for ever... As long they keep the story right, I'm OK with it, no point of fighting a tsunami with a spade... At least it's cyberpunk, with EuroCorp there.

Now the new XCOM.........
    Last edited by mmoc516e31a976; 2011-09-12 at 03:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    I would imagine it would have been inspired heavily by it, yes.
    Well I suppose I'm biased towards the new release and just happy that it's coming out, but even if it was heavily influenced by a game that came out 11 years ago, it's a bit silly to complain about "clones" when it's that many years between games. It's a bit like saying "True Blood, Twilight and The Vampire Diaries!? When Interveiw With the Vampire was out just 15 years ago!"

It really shouldn't be called a Syndicate reboot if it's not a strategy game. It's a generic cyberpunk game trying to capitalize on the fame of Syndicate.

It doesn't have to be the same type of game as the original Syndicate. Obviously fans of the original would prefer an updated version, but I think they went with the FPS route to cater to the FPS crowd of today. It's really not too different from Blizzard using the Warcraft IP in making WoW from Warcraft for example.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Goosie View Post
    It doesn't have to be the same type of game as the original Syndicate. Obviously fans of the original would prefer an updated version, but I think they went with the FPS route to cater to the FPS crowd of today. It's really not too different from Blizzard using the Warcraft IP in making WoW from Warcraft for example.
    I would say it is very different, Warcraft is very rich in lore, they had a good base for an MMO. The lore in Syndicate is thin at best, in this case they are using the name to sell the product.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not saying it's not going to be a great game, but it does not feel and look anything like the original Syndicate. It seems that the only thing it has similar to the original is the title and names of the corporations. So far, I'm not impressed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisuro View Post
    I'm not saying it's not going to be a great game, but it does not feel and look anything like the original Syndicate. It seems that the only thing it has similar to the original is the title and names of the corporations. So far, I'm not impressed.
    It's a bit hard to say anything yet, considering that all we have is a bunch of FPS blurred pictures of a cyberpunk universe with Eurocorp.

At least is based on the Syndicate Wars. By the way, Church of the New Epoch > Eurocorp.

So many people knee-jerking already at a few screenshots. It's not like they've been doing much with the IP over the past 15 years.

In my eyes it isn't Syndicate. Its a new FPS. All they have done is to use the old Syndicate lore.

There are many FPS games, I would welcome the true Syndicate play style coming back.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    you're likely wrong, and we don't care anyway.
    Source

(Necro I know) But I was wondering if anyone is excited at all about the new Syndicate game coming out? I thought there was a Demo for it but I couldn't find it on LIVE or Steam earlier today.

Anyone play the demo or have any kind of information beyond the normal 'hype' articles on gaming websites? I understand it is now a FPS in a De:HR style.