Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Rotations, i'm fed up of them

Ive been playing wow for years now, since dire maul was just patched, i played a paladin up till LK and then did a death knight which i thoroughly enjoyed competing with friends in my guild and rl friend who was in there too both of us dk's.

I gave up near up the end of lk as i my wife became pregnant and i had to work harder to get everything we needed, i decided a few months after my son was born to play casual again in the nights when i stay up for night feeds/any other problem.

Cata has destroyed me with with a now strict regime of rotations in fights, i hate the fact that you cant mix in a howling blast or heart strike anymore in the fray you have to do a dull monotonus rotation, that quite frankly i was never good at i have a very poor linear thought process and reaction speed always have, dont get me wrong i rocked and still do at dodging fires etc its just that coupled with also concentrating on what i have to press next.

i constantly fnd myself pressing things when i can or when they light up so where as someone who can do it all gets 22k dps i get 18-20k instead i know this is mainly a me problem and im also getting older and my reactions in turn are slowling too. but its not that id just like a bit more freedom in what i can press again.

im trying every class atm too to see if i can get into a new click with them hunter/shaman seems the most forgiving atm, shaman rotations being easy as you just wait for the next thing to come off cooldown but even though its good dps theres a certain stigma about enhancement in raids i dont get?
    my lil ole paladin far to many things to activate/wait for a proc to do decent damage that other classes can do just hitting strikes.
    Rogue im enjoying in pvp im shit at pve cos i just keep spamming main attack and forget to do finishers in hectic fights normal fights im much better with and one on one pvp i can stun lock etc with the best of them.

so maybe with cata i go best with hunter if i can keep on par dps when shes 85. Otherwise in 4.3 or atleast the next expansion dont make me a dull android who presses 1,2,3,4 rinse and repeat

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    if You want to be optimal, you have to go with the grain. if you go against it you will meet resistance.

Almost no spec has a "rotation" anymore. Almost everyone has a dynamic priority system.

I honestly can't imagine the OP is doing that well if he's sticking to strict roatations. I don't play all the classes, but each of the ones I have played in Cata has priorities based on procs. If you're sticking to rotations you are wasting GCDs like nobody's business and should not be raiding.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only "monotonous" rotation is the one used by Arcane Mages; all other classes are dependent on random procs which, by definition, is not "monotonous". I don't quite understand OP's complaint.

Go play Elemental Shaman and tell me it's monotonous.
    Last edited by Amry; 2011-09-13 at 02:06 AM. Reason: added some more fluff
    "Oh yay! Happy little deer!
    Now they can grow up and have ADVENTURES.
    You're swell. "

- Mylune
    (aww... she said I'm swell <3 )

You should just play Rift then where every melee spec is a 2 button macro rotation.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kabshiel View Post
    Almost no spec has a "rotation" anymore. Almost everyone has a dynamic priority system.
    I believe that would be called a "Dynamic Priority Rotation" then :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    I honestly can't imagine the OP is doing that well if he's sticking to strict roatations. I don't play all the classes, but each of the ones I have played in Cata has priorities based on procs. If you're sticking to rotations you are wasting GCDs like nobody's business and should not be raiding.
    Going to echo this. If anything Wrath had many, many more strict rotations. Wasn't the DK rotation completely macroable into one button at some point?
    http://fredplz.wordpress.com/ - Thoughts of an obsessive Resto Shaman

10+ Year Old Account
    I wanna see you mix a howling blast in with a heart strike...

Quote Originally Posted by Amry View Post
    The only "monotonous" rotation is the one used by Arcane Mages; all other classes are dependent on random procs which, by definition, is not "monotonous". I don't quite understand OP's complaint.

Go play Elemental Shaman and tell me it's monotonous.
    Rogue

Quote Originally Posted by Tehfred View Post
    Going to echo this. If anything Wrath had many, many more strict rotations. Wasn't the DK rotation completely macroable into one button at some point?
    I know hunters were in BC

Anyways maybe look at something like Eventhorizon.

Anyways all classes require a thought process. Adapt or bow out

Rotations are more dynamic now than before, I do not understand how people complain about something now that is actually want they want when comparing to older times in which it was more of what they are complaining about yet claiming it was better then. It makes about as much sense as my last statement did.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't care about rotations very much but I hate how you get penalized for playing a dps spec that does less dps than another, no matter what.

EG: Fire vs. Arcane, Survival vs. Marksmanship, Unholy vs. Frost, and Assassination vs. Subtlety.

I would add Arms vs. Fury, but Arms is stable while Fury is random with the crits and procs and such, so it's more of a 'play what you want because fury won't always be top dog"

rogues pretty mush still have a set rotation...
    ggg

Quote Originally Posted by Art3x View Post
    I was confused there as well...

Do me a favor and don't correct my spelling/grammar. I browse this site with a cell phone. Try harder next time to be an ass.

Perhaps you should try utilizing an addon like TellMeWhen to assist you in keeping track of your "priority que rotation". I find that keeping track of buffs/debuffs and cooldowns or procs is best done when when you can centralize all the information in one spot, allowing you to focus on more than your rotation.

I can't figure out if the OP wants strict rotations like in previous expansions because he's complaining they're boring, or if he wants dynamic DPS dependent on procs. Unfortunately he's also complaining about his inability to quickly react to procs, so I have no idea what his point was.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Propane View Post
    I can't figure out if the OP wants strict rotations like in previous expansions because he's complaining they're boring, or if he wants dynamic DPS dependent on procs. Unfortunately he's also complaining about his inability to quickly react to procs, so I have no idea what his point was.
    The only class I could think of where you could miss a proc is when you cast Frost Strike at the EXACT time Killing Machine for Frost DKs proc.

Quote Originally Posted by Art3x View Post
    Good thing he said Howling Blast OR Heart Strike. 1/10

CLC Ret, you just push whatever pretty button appears on your screen. You'll do 80% of your simmed DPS, which is better than most casuals can say.

I miss the good ol' days of naxx25, crushing my entire raid on the meter the day I hit 85 in quest blues and greens, just because I knew the BM hunter macro and I had a free-spinning mousewheel.

Deleted
    cheers tharkash, i love the way people want you to be totally exact in posts these days, its like they cant use their heads to get the gist of it.
    yes rotations were easier in icc i agree and theres a lot of priority proccing etc but im pressing things like frost strike on a killing machine proc when should i be waiting for obliterate to finish c/d?

my rl friend has Ob macroed to his mouse 3rd button and spams it, he does a totally different rotation and does a lot more damage than me in same gear well im dw frost hes 2hander frost i have more hit/haste than him he has slightly more crit/mastery.

maybe i should macro more so im using less button and dont get mixed up, i also fear of of loosing diseases and refresh them to early he says, most rotations say to open with outbreak my friend doesnt he ps/hb on a macro and uses outbreak later in fights.

Thanks to the people who posted help and constructive its horrible feeling your getting old it'll happen to you one day!

---------- Post added 2011-09-13 at 12:26 PM ----------

oh and i do the frost strike KM proc thing a lot by accident where i spamm 3-4 frost strikes when i have runes on c/d ad runic power just sitting there to be dumped