[Ret] Cast sequence for 4pc tier

I'm kinda bad at this but I heard the best way to tackle the 4pc cooldowns is to use a cast sequence. Any input on this and if so anyone have a good cast sequence with an explanation of how to use it ( sometimes I have bad fps so I need to spam it so I I need a reset = 4-5 seconds or something in there I believe ). Just trying to consolidate keybinds.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Floross View Post
    I'm kinda bad at this but I heard the best way to tackle the 4pc cooldowns is to use a cast sequence. Any input on this and if so anyone have a good cast sequence with an explanation of how to use it ( sometimes I have bad fps so I need to spam it so I I need a reset = 4-5 seconds or something in there I believe ). Just trying to consolidate keybinds.

Thanks a lot in advance.
    simple: /castsequence reset=4 (or 5 here if you prefer) [ability 1], [ability 2] etc...

shift click abilities out of your spellbook where the bracketed ability is above ^^ then drag it to your action bar. If you use that, the first ability will go off, and then if the second one isn't used by 4 seconds in, the ability will go back to ability 1

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    My cast sequence macro looks something like this:

Code:
    /castsequence reset=30 Zealotry,Avenging Wrath,Apparatus of Khaz'goroth
    I've noticed a couple of things with it.

1. If I spam, I can end up back at Zealotry in the sequence without having used Avenging Wrath or Apparatus. Hitting the macro after this does nothing, because Zealotry isn't usable.

2. Including Guardian of Ancient Kings doesn't work, because the cooldown doesn't line up. Including it in the sequence just stops you dead when it's not available - you'll need to use this separately (five seconds after using Zealotry).

3. You want to use Avenging Wrath when you have roughly 20 seconds left on Zealotry, so your suggested reset of 4-5 seconds won't work at all.

My advice? Don't bother with a castsequence given your current gear, a shift (or other modifier) toggle can be used just as effectively for two abilities.

There's no need for a castsequence macro at all, Zealotry AW and use trinkets are all off the GCD, just macro them in separate lines like
    /cast zealotry
    /cast avenging wrath
    /use 13

Quote Originally Posted by Pikatrap View Post
    There's no need for a castsequence macro at all, Zealotry AW and use trinkets are all off the GCD, just macro them in separate lines like
    /cast zealotry
    /cast avenging wrath
    /use 13
    If I'm not mistaken, with 4 piece you use Zealotry, wait 5 seconds, use Guardian, wait 10 seconds for Avenging Wrath and Potion. After that you either have App. or Essence. Essence is used 5 seconds after Avenging Wrath.

Quote Originally Posted by Eon Drache View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, with 4 piece you use Zealotry, wait 5 seconds, use Guardian, wait 10 seconds for Avenging Wrath and Potion. After that you either have App. or Essence. Essence is used 5 seconds after Avenging Wrath.
    Almost... 5 seconds after Guardian is when you use the Strength potion. It lasts 25 seconds. Though I'd make sure it was at 5-6 seconds.

I'll see if I can find spare binds to separate wings and zealotry. Thanks for all the input.

I don't understand why the accepted CD sequence where all buffs should end at the same time (35 seconds after starting Zealotry) is better than popping things early. For example, why isn't:

Zealotry + GoAK

...wait for GoAK 10 Stacks

AW + Potion + Trinkets

a higher dps sequence? Odds are you will at least get some overlap with an on-equip proc trinket, landslide or any other proc, whereas backloading guarantees you can't stack buffs and possibly pushes some CDs off the table later in the fight, as well as makes the rotation more complicated.

Deleted
    my cooldown macro looks like this:
    /use Golemblood potion
    /use Avenging Wrath
    /use Apparatus of Khaz'goroth
    /use Impatience of Youth
    /use Zealotry
    /cast Templars Verdict
    The reason for the templars verdict at the end is that all the other abilities is off the GCD so when you activate it you can get an extra Templars verdict off.
    i usally pop my guardian 5-7 sec before my other cd's, and ofc i pop them the 2. time i have 3 HP since the first time is for inquition.

10+ Year Old Account
    I might be completely wrong here, but is there anything against using Zealotry and GoAK at the same time and AW 9.5-10 seconds after?

Zealotry has 35 seconds with 4pT12 and it's effectiveness doesn't raise over time unlike GoAK. Whether you use Zeal together with GoAK or 5 seconds before, all cds remain in the 35 second window of Zealotry.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Pull
    Get 3 HP or a DP proc
    0 - Zealotry
    5 - GoAK (or use it prepull with 4pc T11 prot)
    10 - Golemblood (unless you prepotted, or can line it up with CDs+bloodlust later on)
    15 - AW
    20 - AoK, Essence. Earlier if AoK hits 5 stacks sooner.
    25 - nothing
    30 - nothing
    35 - everything fades

You do it this way because you have to work backwards from the end.
    If you used Zealotry and GoAK together at the start, you would be moving AW, AoK, Essence, and your potion up by 5 seconds as well.
    While in theory, using CDs earlier would be a good thing, here are the reasons why this is bad. The numbers below are best estimates from tweaking my WoL reports. Don't use them as gospel, but they're fair approximations:

1) It takes a significant amount of time for AoK to stack up. Forcing it earlier on the opener is going to potentially lower the number of stacks you have, lowering its effectiveness. One stack is equivalent to about 5% damage on CS and TV, which is about a 4% damage loss for those 15 seconds, when you have all your cooldowns blazing. You might be saying "4%? Who cares," but for me, missing 1 stack of AoK on my opener comes out to a loss of about 75 dps, and potentially more. Yes, we're that cooldown dependent. By using AoW before trinkets, you'll also nearly guarantee a stack from a HoW. That time you have to use AoK with only 2 stacks may have been at 5 if you only had a few more seconds, and that impatience cost you 250 dps. It almost definitely would have been at 3 or 4.

2) The little extra time can pay off big. If AoK hits 5 stacks before it is time to use it (which it often will), I will wait instead of using it immediately, hoping for a DP proc. While the rule of thumb is to not sit on cooldowns if possible, delaying AW/trinkets won't matter unless your final set of CDs gets cut off by the boss's death (I plan my cooldowns around our fastest kill time before the pull to avoid this problem). If you get an extra TV in during trinket uptime, you gain another 50+ dps.

3) A minor one, but: Hopefully you'll never make a mistake, but if you do, having your cooldowns staggered will minimize the damage.

tldr; It takes time for GoAK and AoK to stack up, so you want to backload instead of frontload. The only benefit from frontloading is if delaying your cooldowns 5 seconds would cause them to not line up with a burn phase or get them cut off by the fight ending, while backloading can add anywhere from 0 to hundreds of dps.

Final thoughts on the topic:

If striving for perfection is going lead to mistakes, be content getting an A instead of taking a risk to try to get an A++. Example: If you macro GoAK and your potion together instead of putting a 5 second gap, you lose around 10-15 dps over 6 minutes. Not using the potion entirely will cost you 25x that. 15 dps is lost in the noise. 400 isn't. If you forget your potion once a month by not linking it to GoAK, you'd gain dps by macroing it.

If you wait slightly longer on AW (18s left on Zealotry instead of 20), you will get a free HoW after your other cooldowns fade that you otherwise wouldn't get. Even if you miss AW covering a fully buffed TV crit by delaying it, you still end up gaining dps.
    Last edited by Pliers; 2011-09-14 at 05:49 PM.

I think I'll end up macroing zealotry and guardian in a cast sequence with a 10 second reset. Keep AW and trinket on another ( essence ) , and potions as a separate keybind.

---------- Post added 2011-09-15 at 01:39 AM ----------

Yeah here's what I did:

1) /castsequence reset=10 Zealotry,Guardian of blahblah

2) Power Aura timer for a countdown for zealotry duration with Big NUmbers.

3) I profited. My life is now easier.