Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I would assume they have keybinds :S

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Even as a clicker it's easy to click the lightwell between your gcd's

10+ Year Old Account
    Lightwell is stupid, dps dont know when you are going to heal them, so they can click the lightwell 5 times and be overhealed 1sec later. Its the healer role to heal and manage the healing/mana, not the dps roles.

It should be used as an extra heal, not something you really need.

threaten to randomly leap of faith people unless they click it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moshic View Post
    I hate it when they're near people.. I tend to click them, thus losing DPS -.-
    The amount of people not understanding this reply baffles me. "them" in this case means players. Of course you lose DPS if you accidentally target a player instead of the boss, so in this case the lightwell appears to be badly positioned.
    When someone asks, “What is best in life?” there’s only one answer: “To crush the newbs, see them driven before me, and read their lamentations on the forums” - Lylirra

Deleted
    place it in behind the melee / infront of ranged. make a macro to spamm in gchat/say/yell/raid and call it on vent.
    if they simple dont use it even now, call it on vent and stop healing

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Are you clicking buttons on your toolbar then? If not and you are using hotkeys, clicking lightwell should have basically no effect at all on your dps assuming you can function both your hands at once.

Lightwell is great, the design is terrible. The most obvious fix is an out of bounds topic on here afaik so can't discuss that. Hopefully Blizzard finds a way to address the spell at some point. They have tried to do so much so far to it to make people click it. Maybe the answer is to add a button to the interface that appears whenever you are in range of a Lightwell. That would allow people to continue to tunnel vision on their bars so they aren't looking around to heal themselves from a Lightwell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keilith View Post
    You use a mouse to click it and it doesnt affect your gcd. So how do you lose dps?

The only way to lose dps is if your a clicker and have to move your mouse away from your action bar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moshic View Post
    I hate it when they're near people.. I tend to click them, thus losing DPS -.-
    Intended message
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokiron View Post
    You and the other guy both missed what he was saying. He means he hates it when someone is standing near or on top of the lightwell, because instead of clicking the well he targets the person standing there, thus losing DPS time because he has to re-target the boss before he can continue DPSing.
    Ya I 100% misinterpreted his post lol.

Deleted
    I've also been a holy priest since whenever and only recently (and reluctantly, if I may add) specced Disc to rely less on people who can simply not be forced to pay attention to their health.

The only real uses I've discovered for Lolwell are

- Perfectly predictable, pulsing AoE waves (Staghelm scorpid form AoE, after the slash!)
    - Standing still (near melee possibly)
    - There are breaks in the scenery that allow people to actually see the Lightwell instead of having it buried under fires, volcanoes, add mob bodies or general mayhem.

I truly wish we weren't forced to pick this ability that CAN produce pretty nifty amounts of healing, but it relies on people having at least 3 eyes. In between running away from bad stuff and positioning according to boss phases there are rarely ever times that people (they are idiots, but I love my guildies nonetheless) notice my Lightwell is standing there...

EDIT:

I also use Raeli's Spell Announcer to let people know when a Lightwell is placed (with a "Click me or die"-macro added for good measure) as well as whenever someone clicks it (with a "person X has been served"-macro) to alert people that hey, there's something out there that might save my ass.
    Last edited by mmoc2751a60052; 2011-09-13 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iracor View Post
    Better question is, why are you still holy? Disc is just plain better.
    Ty but this is not what I was asking for, and it's a matter of choice. I fancy playing holy, then I play holy.

Secondly, I didn't say I want them to use it when they barely take any damage but in those situations where they rather die than using it. And I prefer it to overheal than not be used at all.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by FearGX View Post
    Lightwell is a really bad mechanic and totally relies on people interacting with it, which during a raid fight isn't so common. I feel your pain OP.
    Lightwell is actually one of the most interesting mechanics in today's raiding BECAUSE it requires people to interact with it. It's basic raid awareness and synergy and if your raid can't do that, they are not performing as well as they could.

OT: just keep bitching about it. Say it when you drop the lightwell. Say it when high damage is about to hit. Simply say something like "firestorm incoming, remember the lightwell guys". Say it EVERY SINGLE TIME. Yes, people will start to get mad at you "yeah yeah, we know, lightwell lightwell" but that's okay because in the long run, every raid damage will be associated in their mind with "that annoying priest and his damn lightwell" and i can assure you they WILL click it. It's simple dog training, really.
    Oh and if you're in one of those guilds where you can't talk on vent during a fight if you're not the raid leader, just find a better guild. Raiding is primarily about communicating.
    Last edited by mmoc3e0d19f624; 2011-09-13 at 02:48 PM.

Deleted
    Personally I really dislike Lightwell, and I'm one of the few people that will attempt to use it when it's down.
    It relies too much on the group looking at their health knowing if they need a lightwell, if they will be receiving heals during lightwell hot (which makes it pointless), and having to focus on something other than what they should be focusing on. Asking a dps to make sure they're looking to stay out of fire or dodge whatever else it is they need to, maintain a rotation, and at the same time keep an eye on their own health to decide whether they need healing from lightwell or not is just stupid. It's not a dps's job to heal, that's the healers job. Lightwell takes all responsibilty away from the priest and gives it to the dps instead.

Chances of the dps that just used the lightwell to be healed within 1-2 seconds of clicking the lightwell is pretty high, completely negating the effect of lightwell turning it mostly into overhealing. The coordination needed to make lightwell an efficient heal for people to use is ridiculous. Heck it pisses me off when I know I have a riptide rolling on a target that will easily heal it from 90% to full within the next few seconds with no foreseeable damage incoming and having another healer waste a cast by healing it leaving riptide to overheal.

Many times in the past when our guilds priest was holy and he put down lightwell it just wasn't possible to interact with it. Whether it's just unlucky boss positioning or in some cases just a ridiculous hit box that makes it nigh on impossible to interact with the lightwell. Certain boss fights seem to have silly ceilings or walls that get in your cameras way depending on where you are zoomed out to. Magmaw for instance is one of the most annoying bosses to target (both before and after they changed hit targeting box)

Yes people need to realise that the lightwell is there and use it, but when you really think about it it will end up being overheals most of the time with cross healing being way too common. Not saying lightwell is not useful because every little helps when it comes to healing, over the course of the fight lightwell could easily save the healers some GCDs and mana. However, lightwell is a very situational spell and it's not always possible to know if a player is able to use the lightwell or not. They could be in the middle of a string of procs taking up their concentration or their positioning just might not allow then to spin their camera around to see it.

10+ Year Old Account
    on a chair staring at a screen somewhere in Europe
    I was in a dungeon recently and a priest there had a nice tactic

first a dps complained about how little healing he got.
    next 2 pulls the priest took the offense and said something like this after mobs had died;
    "are you suicidal? why didn't you click the lightwell? Why are you refusing my heals?"
    "I can't help you if you don't want to be healed"

the dps shut up and clicked LW like crazy for the rest of the run.

me, I like lightwell.
    it helps me when I need to life-tap. but lifetap of course requires me (as poster above me noted) to keep an eye on my own health.
    Last edited by Krullthor; 2011-09-13 at 03:35 PM.

<I used to be a poster like you, but then I took an infraction to the knee>

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sporky0 View Post
    Chances of the dps that just used the lightwell to be healed within 1-2 seconds of clicking the lightwell is pretty high, completely negating the effect of lightwell turning it mostly into overhealing. The coordination needed to make lightwell an efficient heal for people to use is ridiculous. Heck it pisses me off when I know I have a riptide rolling on a target that will easily heal it from 90% to full within the next few seconds with no foreseeable damage incoming and having another healer waste a cast by healing it leaving riptide to overheal.
    Most of the time you don't need to use the lighwell for "random" raid damage. Its best use is right after or during important raid damage (say Beth'tilac's P2 or Ryolith's stomps), especially when it's used by classes that don't get +healing received or don't have a damage reduction.

i LOVE lightwell.

if your a real raider you know when damage will be going out and it has uses for anyone/everyone at every boss (at least in FL)

shannox- spears or if you got your face raged on.
    beth- durring the aoe phases or phase 2 pulses.
    rhyolith- stomps and phase 2
    alysrazor- rebirth phase....this is probably the easiest fight to neglect lightwell due to range and high movement.
    baleroc- crystal soakers can take more stacks easily with this up.
    majordomo- scorpion cleaves....1 (10m) or 2 (25m) glyphed lightwells could pretty much keep the group up through 2 early cleaves or 1 later one.
    rag- seeds anyone?

lightwell is a raid cd and should be used as such. on top of that it is a smart one as you can cast it early and have it 3-4 times in an encounter.
    Originally Posted by statlerthegreat
    I don't play a real world simulator. I play World of Warcraft. Where I am a Goblin, named after an explosive, that hurls balls of arcane "fuck you up" at internet dragons/ogres/whateverthehellmaloriakis.

Deleted
    Good for raggy hc :P
    Dem melee stealing my lightwell :x

---------- Post added 2011-09-13 at 04:00 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Are you clicking buttons on your toolbar then? If not and you are using hotkeys, clicking lightwell should have basically no effect at all on your dps assuming you can function both your hands at once.

Lightwell is great, the design is terrible. The most obvious fix is an out of bounds topic on here afaik so can't discuss that. Hopefully Blizzard finds a way to address the spell at some point. They have tried to do so much so far to it to make people click it. Maybe the answer is to add a button to the interface that appears whenever you are in range of a Lightwell. That would allow people to continue to tunnel vision on their bars so they aren't looking around to heal themselves from a Lightwell.
    Think he meant that some playermodels can block the view of the lightwell, hence selecting sometimes the person in front of it. Only grip with that spell is this, especially with huge ass bosses like raggy sometimes

Considering the fact it can be used at a distance, AND it no longer drops your target, it's amazing. Your guild is wasting your time and mana if they don't utilize it. And in fact are hold back the entire raid group. What mana you used to heal something that could've been healed by the well, could have been used to save a tank, or heal someone too far away from the well.

I see it as a deliberate waste of MY time when people don't use the well, and it pisses me off. So yeah, I feel you.

(I've gotten to the point before, that if I see someone taking damage, and they don't use a well, I've let them die. and I've felt good about it.)
    Last edited by Fraise; 2011-09-13 at 04:05 PM.
    I'm a buff baby that can dance like a man,
    I can shake-ah my fanny, I can shake-ah my can
    I'm a tough tootin' baby, i can punch-ah yo' buns
    Punch-ah yo buns, I can punch all yo buns
    If you're an evil witch, I will punch you for fun!

My guild learned very quickly on Halfus to love the lightwell. We had 2 holy priests and a Resto druid, and probably the worst comp of drakes for the tanks (also our first night of raiding BoT). All three healers were having to focus entirely on the tanks because they were getting smashed if they spared a GCD to heal the raid. I took the healers aside and told them; don't heal the raid. Just don't. Then I told the rest of the raid that the Lightwells the holy priests were putting down would be their only heals and they would get nothing else.

Not only did they learn to click the damn thing, they learned to avoid unnecessary damage and use defensive cd's!
    If you want to make raiding content harder, turn off DBM. Voila! Your encounters will be much more challenging without bleeps and someone telling you to "run away, little girl."

I hate Lightwell.. Maybe you don't loose your target when you click it but you tend to loose it if there are players running around. Or boss have big hit box and is obstructing the clickable area of lightwell.. Or the priest puts it and then stands on it.. or it is behind the boss... There are just so many little annoying things that just makes lightwell design so bad and annoying.. Cool idea but it just doesn't work..

to stay on topic - just live with it. I rarely click on lightwell as well - 'cause it's so annoying and on some occasions just impossible to execute :/

Dropped a pair of infractions, deleted a couple posts, and moving on.

The topic at hand is Lightwell, we don't need another spec-war, thanks. -- <3 Kel
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~