Thread: 6770 or 6870

6770 or 6870

Building a new comp and I'm wondering if a 6770 can handle WoW at max settings? or if I should just spend more and get a 6870.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noobadin View Post
    Building a new comp and I'm wondering if a 6770 can handle WoW at max settings? or if I should just spend more and get a 6870.
    Pretty much any gpu is going to be able to handle wow at max settings, it matters more on your cpu and resolution that you'll be playing on.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Deleted
    The 6770 is just a rebranded 5770 anyway, so might as well get one of those then.
    And WoW is WAAAY more CPU dependant, so yes.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah running one HD5770 I could max out WoW with AA maxed. It is really more dependent on your CPU than anything else.

If you plan to play any other games though you want the 6870.

Quote Originally Posted by Culadin View Post
    Yeah running one HD5770 I could max out WoW with AA maxed. It is really more dependent on your CPU than anything else.

If you plan to play any other games though you want the 6870.
    The only other games I plan on playing are Eve and probably Skyrim.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    For Skyrim I would opt for the HD6870.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only other games I plan on playing are Eve and probably Skyrim.
    Go with the 6870 then. It's a great card, and should perform well with Skyrim.

10+ Year Old Account
    When I built my desktop this past winter I went with a 6850, reading everywhere that it would easily run on ultra. In most places it does but during raids and in busy areas it slows down noticeably. This is running at 1440x900 resolution with a Phenom II 955 quad core, don't get me wrong I'm content but was a little disappointed to be honest.

Just pointing out that both of those are pretty old cards now, and for a new computer you might be able to find something suitable and less than year old without breaking the bank too badly.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintana View Post
    When I built my desktop this past winter I went with a 6850, reading everywhere that it would easily run on ultra. In most places it does but during raids and in busy areas it slows down noticeably. This is running at 1440x900 resolution with a Phenom II 955 quad core, don't get me wrong I'm content but was a little disappointed to be honest.
    That has nothing to do with your 6850 and everything to do with your Phenom II 955.

WoW depends mostly on CPU speed, and people claiming that "card x can run WoW on ultra" are either fools or lying.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Have you overclocked that CPU and do you have shadows turned up high? My old machine (i7920 @ 4 ghz, HD5770 on 1920x1200) had everything on Ultra bar shadows and still doesn't dip below 50 in raids.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    That's a problem with your cpu, not your graphics card.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Motoma View Post
    Have you overclocked that CPU and do you have shadows turned up high? My old machine (i7920 @ 4 ghz, HD5770 on 1920x1200) had everything on Ultra bar shadows and still doesn't dip below 50 in raids.
    No I haven't OC'd it at all, still sitting at stock speed of 3.2. I don't have any experience with OCing but I have read the 955 BE are very easy to do with the unlocked multiplier. I also bought an aftermarket cooler (Hyper 212+) incase I did want to OC in the future, but like I said I have no idea what I'm doing.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    No I haven't OC'd it at all, still sitting at stock speed of 3.2. I don't have any experience with OCing but I have read the 955 BE are very easy to do with the unlocked multiplier. I also bought an aftermarket cooler (Hyper 212+) incase I did want to OC in the future, but like I said I have no idea what I'm doing.
    Please create a separate thread for overclocking help on your 955BE. I'm sure plenty of users would be able to give you advice. Lets not hijack the OP's thread.