Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Destro coming back?

So for the past 2 weeks ive seen more and more destro locks doing raids, and tbh they are not pulling horrible numbers
    plus they help in the mix when doing FL or BWD/BoT

sometimes they even do better than me(demon) usually cause i mess up with my rotation ,cds or also cause i suck
    whatever it is you name it....

my point is, do you guys think its still viable to go destro at pve?
    destro has always been my favorite spec, so im feeling really tempted to try it out

cheers

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RorixRebel View Post
    So for the past 2 weeks ive seen more and more destro locks doing raids, and tbh they are not pulling horrible numbers
    plus they help in the mix when doing FL or BWD/BoT

sometimes they even do better than me(demon) usually cause i mess up with my rotation ,cds or also cause i suck
    whatever it is you name it....

destro has always been my favorite spec, so im feeling really tempted to try it out

cheers

stop using the word viable till you learn what it means please

there is not once single spec that isn't "viable" they are not all optimal but you can finish the raid with any spec

short answer yes it's always been "viable"
    long answer is no it is not the most optimal spec and will need some work before it would pull out on top again

10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly don't know what happened to destro. I played it since the end of wrath, up until just before 4.1 hit, when I switched to Afflic. Yeah, the loss of the ISF haste buff hurt, but I was consistently topping meters, usually only losing out to a mage or hunter. I haven't played destro since before 4.2, but when I switched it wasn't bad. I'm not sure why it started getting a bad rap. I really enjoy afflic, and when it started to become "superior" to the other two, I just stuck with it.

vi·a·ble
       [vahy-uh-buhl]
    adjective
    1. capable of living.
    2. Physiology .
    a. physically fitted to live.
    b. (of a fetus) having reached such a stage of development as to be capable of living, under normal conditions, outside the uterus.
    3. Botany . able to live and grow.
    4. vivid; real; stimulating, as to the intellect, imagination, or senses: a period of history that few teachers can make viable for students.
    5. practicable; workable: a viable alternative.

is my question viable?

10+ Year Old Account
    vi·a·ble
       [vahy-uh-buhl]
    adjective
    1. capable of living.
    2. Physiology .
    a. physically fitted to live.
    b. (of a fetus) having reached such a stage of development as to be capable of living, under normal conditions, outside the uterus.
    3. Botany . able to live and grow.
    4. vivid; real; stimulating, as to the intellect, imagination, or senses: a period of history that few teachers can make viable for students.
    5. practicable; workable: a viable alternative.

is my question viable?

my answer still applies all specs are "practicable; workable: a viable alternative"

15+ Year Old Account
    Destro damage is crap sadly.
    Sure people might play it cos they enjoy the spec but I dont think they got any illusion about them not pulling better numbers as either affe or demo.
    There has been no buffs to it either so the subjective increase that more players play it unfounded or just a fluke.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Destro damage is crap sadly.
    Sure people might play it cos they enjoy the spec but I dont think they got any illusion about them not pulling better numbers as either affe or demo.
    There has been no buffs to it either so the subjective increase that more players play it unfounded or just a fluke.
    I play it on certain fights, eventhough it costs me 10kish dps. (20k as destro, 30k as demo)
    I play destro on baleroc 10 hc cause of netherward (+ mirror of broken images) shard tanking.
    I play destro on majordomo 10 hc (sometimes) for the same reason, orb tanking.

I would always play destro if it wasn't for the fact that it just produces shit results.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetz View Post

I would always play destro if it wasn't for the fact that it just produces shit results.
    Same for me, I think its a more exciting spec to play...The poor damage though </3
    Cyner#1996

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweetz View Post
    I play it on certain fights, eventhough it costs me 10kish dps. (20k as destro, 30k as demo)
    I play destro on baleroc 10 hc cause of netherward (+ mirror of broken images) shard tanking.
    I play destro on majordomo 10 hc (sometimes) for the same reason, orb tanking.

if you are coming up with a 10k difference it's not the spec it's you

Deleted
    Got to agree, if you can do 30k as Demo you should be around 28k as Destro (well perhaps a bit lower if you are playing with your demo gear).

Quote Originally Posted by slozon View Post
    if you are coming up with a 10k difference it's not the spec it's you
    In 10-man, changing from Demo to Destro could mean a loss of 10% spellpower, he also changed to Mirror of Broken Images, and soaks. 10k sounds like alot, but change to a spec you play for 1 fight a week, and add the above, plus the fact that I assume his demo gear is mastery reforged, while afaik that isnt optimal for destro, and you have that difference even if you play it fairly well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noaim View Post
    In 10-man, changing from Demo to Destro could mean a loss of 10% spellpower, he also changed to Mirror of Broken Images, and soaks. 10k sounds like alot, but change to a spec you play for 1 fight a week, and add the above, plus the fact that I assume his demo gear is mastery reforged, while afaik that isnt optimal for destro, and you have that difference even if you play it fairly well.
    everything you said is a longer version of it's you not the spec.....

if he is willing to lose 10k on a couple fights he could just go destro and play the spec he enjoys and only lose maybe 2k and at the most 5k dps

Firelands really doesn't have any encounters with two targets, each having a fairly substantial amount of health so as to maximize Bane of Havoc usage. I'd say that's one reason why Destro's having trouble keeping up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raintola View Post
    Firelands really doesn't have any encounters with two targets, each having a fairly substantial amount of health so as to maximize Bane of Havoc usage. I'd say that's one reason why Destro's having trouble keeping up.
    bane of havoc was never an ability to keep up in fact when it was used it was putting destro boarderline OP
    you guys exagerate way to much the difference in warlock specs in not THAT much
    if you enjoy a spec and are in a guild that doesn't make you min/max you can do just fine as destro

just to clarify bane of havoc was more for fights like magmaw where there were alot of adds since destro as everyone knows lacks a bit in AoE compared to demo/aff

cheers
    If you and your raid are comfortable with you playing your favorite spec even though it consistently does less DPS on every Firelands encounter than your other two options, then I say enjoy and have at it. Is the tree getting more popular with the player base at-large? I seriously doubt it and without improvements in 4.3, it will continue to fall farther behind the other two trees in terms of DPS as well as the % of the class that plays it.

Quote Originally Posted by slozon View Post
    bane of havoc was never an ability to keep up in fact when it was used it was putting destro boarderline OP
    you guys exagerate way to much the difference in warlock specs in not THAT much
    if you enjoy a spec and are in a guild that doesn't make you min/max you can do just fine as destro

just to clarify bane of havoc was more for fights like magmaw where there were alot of adds since destro as everyone knows lacks a bit in AoE compared to demo/aff
    bane of havoc was one of the mains reasons the spec was so popular and "good" the tier before, and isnt now. Beth is really the only fight where it can even be used in this tier (Shannox is a maybe) and last tier there were halfus, V&T, elements, mag, omnotron, nef, and cho-gall if you were really vigilant or got stuck on slimes. I would consider destro slighty better for atramedes as well, with quicker casts (generally) for air phase and the fact that aff/demo had to use inferior pets for the spec during air phase.

bane of havoc was free damage on any of those fights. An afflock could multidot, and get similar results, but maintaining 3 stacks of shadow embrace on two targets is far harder than pushing one button.

destro is fine, it has just dropped in popularity because sims have it lower, and raiders generally find the other specs more useful or better. Replenishment is huge if your raid doesnt have it, but the uses for shadowfury and nether protection in this tier are generally not enough to make people spec it regularly.
    Last edited by Meejum; 2011-09-14 at 03:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    As far as I know destruction is still bad but since t11 is nerfed really hard, it doesn't matter what spec you play.
    With the current gear avaiable you can do enough dps by ease in any warlock spec you want so it's just a matter of picking the spec you prefer.
    (Only if you play for fun and don't do serious raiding)

10+ Year Old Account
    All the negativity towards destro makes me wanna go repsec and see just how bad (or good) it is. I agree that last tier raids had a lot more benefit from Bane of Havoc, and this tier only has a couple of encounters.

play what you like playing/are good at.

if your terrible at demo or affliction but good at destro just make that your main spec. unless your in a min/max server first guild it shouldnt be an issue.
    Originally Posted by statlerthegreat
    I don't play a real world simulator. I play World of Warcraft. Where I am a Goblin, named after an explosive, that hurls balls of arcane "fuck you up" at internet dragons/ogres/whateverthehellmaloriakis.

I went destro when we did Rag 10N and Cho'gall 10H (with an hour-ish attempts on Sinestra) on an off-day (replenishment)

It wasn't that bad for dps, but aflli I feel is just superior overall (less clunky rotation, more damage, similar playstyle) so I usually go affli.

The biggest problem for destro is twofold: first, single-target it is lower numbers marginally than affli/demo while not offering anything special; second, its AoE just blows ass. Fix both and its a good spec again.