Paladin Feedback -Types of Players

I read through the list of paladins wanting changes, and things they don't like and saw this :

"As to the quality of life perspective, one thing that bugs me is when Shield of the Righteous gets dodged, parried or misses. With the changes to threat making hit rating and expertise nearly useless stats to tanks, this occurs frequently. It's bad enough when Crusader Strike or Hammer of the Righteous fails and I lose out on that Holy Power. But it's even worse when I finally have all 3, try to use it in time for the guaranteed critical hit proc, but then find myself spamming it because the boss avoids it several times in a row. I would like to see the aforementioned proc guarantee not only a critical hit, but well... that it actually hits. I don't see how this change would affect PvP at all, as it isn't like anyone in PvP stacks avoidance anyway."

TL/DR version :

My attacks miss because I don't want to be hit capped.

I mean seriously? This is the kind of feedback people are giving? I really am glad the community at MMO is of higher quality than that of just the average player. I understand hit is not necessary as a tank anymore, but it is still damage on the boss and generation of Holy Power for stuff like Word of Glory and SotR. I always cap out my hit and exp. Opinions?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm fairly certain that the devs (at least, I hope) understand that this kind of request is not only not viable, but completely at odds with having any kind of difficulty in the game.

The only way to guarantee a hit is to get capped in the relevant stats. For melee, that's Hit and Expertise. There are no exceptions to this, for any class (I know there are a select few abilities that negate this, but those are special cases at this point). Sure, I've seen my share of avoidance runs when I'm trying to give something a face-full of my shield (and it is very frustrating), but I have more important things to spend my stats on.

Primarily on not dying. Since, y'know, it's a tanks job and all.
    Host of Talking Skritt, a GW2 podcast!

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Vikai View Post
    I mean seriously? This is the kind of feedback people are giving? I really am glad the community at MMO is of higher quality than that of just the average player. I understand hit is not necessary as a tank anymore, but it is still damage on the boss and generation of Holy Power for stuff like Word of Glory and SotR. I always cap out my hit and exp. Opinions?
    I think your assessment of this request shows a pretty significant lack of understanding about Prot and Tanking.

Hit and Expertise are fairly undesirable stats for any Tank. Think about the purpose of these stats. They ensure that an attack lands. What is the benefit of an attack landing to a Tank? He gets two things out of a landed attack: Threat and DPS. As a Tank, Threat is really the only one that matters. A Tank's DPS is of very minor importance.

In a boss encounter (what you should be gearing for), these two stats become nearly useless once you have full aggro on the boss. More threat doesn't kill the boss faster or ensure better success. Let's be honest about the importance of threat. Twenty seconds into the fight, it becomes a null issue - and consequentially, Hit and Expertise are essentially dead stats after that, doing nothing to help complete the encounter.

Because of this, survival stats far outweigh the importance of Hit and Expertise. And guess what? Blizzard agrees. They've said that they know these things don't matter. And have pushed even further in the direction of making them obsolete by drastically increasing Tank threat. Stam, Mastery, Dodge, Block, Agi... These are the stats that matter to a Tank (obviously, importance varies by class).

The person's complaint that you quoted is a valid one. I don't Tank Pally, but on my Druid it can be frustrating missing 2-3 Pulverizes before one lands. The Crit this ability givesis important to keeping me alive and it's not fun planning around having to use it a couple times to get it to hit.

Bottom line. Having a stat that servers a purpose but is not important enough to actually gear for is un-fun and poorly designed. The only real problem with the person's quote is that it's an issue that everyone already knows about and is almost positively already on Blizzard's radar to fix in the next expansion.
    Last edited by Firecrest; 2011-09-13 at 06:16 PM.
    <WHAR LEWTS PLZ HALp>
    I'm bitter by default. Don't take it personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Either give an argument, or be automatically wrong. Your choice.

15+ Year Old Account
    I believe they will be addressing this issue of tanks gearing away from hit/exp. Most of the tanks i talk to, including myself, WANT hit and exp because no one likes being dodged/parried etc. However, because it is more important to gear for survivability, we gear away from it. I think Blizz understands this and will be moving paladins, and other tanks in the direction of the DK model, meaning you get survivabiltiy from hitting the boss. They mentioned this possibility in a blue post a while back. Basically, hit/and exp would not only be threat stats, but also competitive survivability stats.

This is my understanding of that blue post from some weeks ago. I hope I didnt misunderstand what they were trying to tell us. Furthermore, with regards to the feedback postings, I would agree that the comment you quoted was probably not too important, since they recently made a blue post about the importance of hit/exp and tanking and how they are going to modify it, but also I understand it is on the mionds of a lot of tanks and we can only hope that a change is on the way.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rytoz/advanced

If there's one thing I'm not, it's in control.