Lightbulb Help Building an Improved Computer

EDIT: And, just in case, if you have any suggestions that can substantially improve my current build, don't be shy in suggesting them.
    EDIT2: Also, the only reason I'm asking instead of just looking at a chart and saying "Hmm, this video card is better than my current one!" or something is because if left to my own devices I'd probably end up with pieces that aren't compatible with one another.

I have a bit of money I'd like to spend on improving my computer--running on all minimum graphics @ 30fps during raids and only occasionally (once every two weeks or so) crashing is *tolerable*, but why not enjoy the pretty colors?

I'm pretty weak in describing what I already have in my computer--what I do know is as follows (some information might not be worded the correct way, or maybe superfluous)
    Windows 7 Ultimate Service Pack 1 (build 7601)
    System Model:
    ASUSTeK©
    Main Circuit Board:
    Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5N7A-VM Rev 1.xx
    Serial Number: MS1C8AB49002033
    Bus Clock: 333 megahertz
    BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 0519 04/29/2010
    Processor
    3.15 gigahertz Intel Core2 Duo
    64 kilobyte primary memory cache
    6144 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    64-bit ready
    Multi-core (2 total)
    Not hyper-threaded
    Display
    ATI Radeon HD 5670 [Display adapter]
    Gateway HX2000 [Monitor] (19.9"vis, s/n C180C0114009, February 2010)
    Controllers
    Standard floppy disk controller
    ATA Channel 0 [Controller] (2x)
    ATA Channel 1 [Controller] (2x)
    Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller (2x)
    Bus Adapters
    Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller (2x)
    Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller (2x)

---------------------------------------------------
    What I want: I want a build that is capable of running World of Warcraft at full "Good" graphics at 40 fps+ in a 25-man raid setting, at 1920x1080 resolution. If a final build within my price range (below) can run better than that, I will certainly not complain! If I do not have to replace my entire build but rather just have to replace my graphics card or CPU, that would be great news too.

How much I am willing to spend: Somewhere between $200 and $1000. I would feel most confident below $600, but if you have a suggestion that reaches above that, don't hesitate to suggest it. Note that I need a new monitor to be able to run at 1920x1200. If that is a very expensive component and would degrade the other possible upgrades, I am fine with sticking with my current monitor (as, like my graphics card, it is relatively new).
    Last edited by HonneurVilified; 2011-09-13 at 08:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your graphics card may be relatively new, but it's weak. It might be enough if you only play WoW though.
    I'd suggest a quality P67/Z68 motherboard (MSI, ASUS, Gigabyte), a i5 2500k (i7 2600k if you are interested with video editing/3D rendering) along with a Coolermaster Hyper 212+ heatsink and corsair XMS/Vengeance 8GB RAM. You may be able to keep your old case, PSU and HDD.

EDIT: (newegg prices) i5 2500k: ~220$, asus p8p67 EVO 175$ (after rebate), Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz 75$, Coolermaster 212+ 30$. Summing up to 500$. Add 220$ for a MSI 560Ti Twin Frozr, 70$ (after rebate and offer) for a Corsair TX650 V2 and you're at 800$ and with an up-to-date system. I was going to suggest a Dell U2311h, but it's too expensive if you go with what I suggested above. Check the screens on the builds of the month (front page) for one that fits your budget.
    Last edited by Zkeya; 2011-09-13 at 09:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can't effectively upgrade that computer, the CPU is stuck with that chipset. You'd have to build a new one, but one thing you could carry over to a new build is that HD5670. At 1920x1080 that card *should* be able to cope with Good settings as when raiding you are mostly CPU-limited.

See this thread for a suitable build & prices to get an idea of what parts work well together:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...pot-quot-Build

(note: prices may be *slightly* different, Fuzzy can't keep track of deals/cuts going on all of them :P).
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

With a i5 2500 and gefoce 460gtx i get mostly 60fps everywhere except org/stormwind and parts of northrend at max settings 4x AA. Those places it drops down to 45fps. If your looking to get a new case, recommend getting a case with side vents pointing at the graphics card. 460gtx's can get kinda warm.

edit : I dont know much about ATI cards but the HD5670 is probly good enough for WoW. I got the biggest improvement when switching from a AMD 6000 dual core to the i5.
    WoW being more cpu dependant.
    Last edited by isntyourname123; 2011-09-13 at 09:38 PM.
    Intel Core i5 2500 quad core
    8gb ddr3 ram
    ASUS SABERTOOTH SLI motherboard
    Geforce 580gtx
    Corsiar Force3 120gig SSD (boot drive + WoW install)
    WD 400gb hdd

15+ Year Old Account
    Custom build by Uggorthaholy

moboMsi P67 without SLi/CF support – $89.99
    cpuIntel i5 2500K – $219.99
    ramCorsar 1600 MHz Vengeance Low-Profile 2X4GB – $57.99
    sinkCorsair A70 – $41.42

Final Price – $409.39

Bare minimum I would suggest for upgrades.
    This is assuming you can carry over your case, psu, hdd, gpu, keyboard, mouse, monitor, and windows.

Quote Originally Posted by uggorthaholy View Post
    Custom build by Uggorthaholy

moboMsi P67 without SLi/CF support – $89.99
    cpuIntel i5 2500K – $219.99
    ramCorsar 1600 MHz Vengeance Low-Profile 2X4GB – $57.99
    sinkCorsair A70 – $41.42

Final Price – $409.39

Bare minimum I would suggest for upgrades.
    This is assuming you can carry over your case, psu, hdd, gpu, keyboard, mouse, monitor, and windows.
    This is the upgrade you want to go for. A solid overclocked 2500k will really boost your fps in raids.
    The 5670 is pretty crappy but should be enough for "good" settings... may want to turn down shadows though.

Also, you didn't mention what your psu (power supply) is... you may have to replace that to support an oc 2500k if it's not enough wattage.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.