Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Desktop is not an app at all. All they did was throw on a pretty start menu replacement screen. Nothing about how the desktop works was changed into an "app". Again, please don't complain about something you haven't tried. Asking questions to those who have it installed if you are unable to do so is fine.
    Last edited by chaud; 2011-09-14 at 03:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    The Desktop is not an app at all. All they did was throw on a pretty start menu replacement screen. Nothing about how the desktop works was changed into an "app".
    thats what i was thinking as well.

you will have other options, chill out take 1 second to open up the menu and change the settings <.<. plus windows 8 is not even fully out yet right? This is just a preview.

Quote Originally Posted by fireblade View Post
    lol... 450 billion..
    Cus it's more famous than food, that's right you heard me
    More people know it than there are people who know how to eat

Quote Originally Posted by Sackman View Post
    start - run - cmd - explorer.exe

dot dot dot.

"I already hate something new that possibly heightens my experience and provides the previous incarnation of the experience included".

---------- Post added 2011-09-14 at 02:52 PM ----------

65 copies per person on the earth, seems reasonable o_O
    I guess there are schools and offices where there are a lot of computers with W7, that's my guess anyway.

This forum is all about hating stuff before they are even implemented

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I stand in fire View Post
    There is so much about Windows 8 that really irks me. Like in many ways it's ripping off apple, it's pretty much giving desktop and laptop users the bird with it's UI that's built for tablets and phones. If I wanted my computer to look and work like a tablet, I'll buy a fucking tablet.

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...ws-windows-8/1
    There's no "ripping off" unless you want to include them all. Linux "ripped off" Windows. Mac "ripped off" Linux. etc.

Personally, I love the Metro design.

And if you actually did some research, you'd realize that the Metro design being shown is primarily for the tablets and phones, and you can change it to the typical Win7 style desktop if you want. But I'm sure you knew that and you're just being ridiculous for shits n giggles.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age"

Even better, the old start menu.

http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-8...sic-start-menu

Has anyone found working synaptics touchpad drivers that are the generic ones? Lenovo's work okay, but they lack chiral scrolling.

15+ Year Old Account
    My initial impression after getting through 2 minutes of a youtube video before I wanted to do something else, like watch paint dry:

Looks retarded. It's the same interface as windows 7 with some pointless overlay for touchpads. Looks like they tried to combine the two into some horrific, inefficient mess of garbage.

It looks like a waste of time and money at this point.
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

The built-in VHD and ISO integration will be very handy to me, I'm slobbering a little bit over that. Also I liked what they added into explorer that if you do multiple file transfers, they all consolidate into one window and you can even pause which ones you wish.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    Even better, the old start menu.

http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-8...sic-start-menu

Has anyone found working synaptics touchpad drivers that are the generic ones? Lenovo's work okay, but they lack chiral scrolling.
    Don't forget to change the theme otherwise you keep the square ughiness XD

OP are you aware that they have made a bunch of performance boost regarding the Task Manager, File Transferring, Boot times, and the old Desktop has a bunch of new improvments too.

The old Desktop is not an after thought, Win 8 Metro UI is just to broaden the OS's userbase. It's almost just a layer ontop of your actual Desktop

Running Win 8 on my 4 year old laptop at the moment, and surprised how smooth it is running. It boots really quickly as well. Still, Metro is annoying as all heck. When I click the start button I want the start menu, not an entire screen that is designed for a touch device. I have a tablet, I don't need my desktop to become one. I know I can switch to the standard desktop, but to me its as if its standard desktop is an afterthought to them. I found a registry edit that pretty does away with metro but it pretty much turns the OS into Win 7, so why should I upgrade?

One more thing, Apps? Really? Why cant we call them applications or programs. I doubt I will be upgrading to Windows 8 based on what it is in this early stage.

Edit: To those of you saying the Metro UI is just a new start menu to broaden the Windows user-base. I have two questions.

1. Why then when I click the Windows Button on my desktop am I taken to the Metro UI instead of getting the normal start menu.

2. Broaden the Windows userbase? It already has the largest market share by far, and the audience they are going after with metro surely are windows users already, that wont be changing OS's until the purchase of a new computer.
    Last edited by TheGiant89; 2011-09-14 at 10:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezzme View Post
    OP are you aware that they have made a bunch of performance boost regarding the Task Manager, File Transferring, Boot times, and the old Desktop has a bunch of new improvments too.

The old Desktop is not an after thought, Win 8 Metro UI is just to broaden the OS's userbase. It's almost just a layer ontop of your actual Desktop
    Basically this. Especially in the Dev version, you're going to finding things they are working on ... thus the Metro UI and the implementation of it. There doesn't need to be large improvements to the Desktop UI and it has already been shown you can go back to the original start menu. These improvements such as the Ribbon interface, the lower resources, better file transferring, excellent boot time and the task manager are all changes that affect "regular" users. By having the Metro UI, it offers a better UI for touchscreen machines like AIO's or Tablets. By improving this and pushing also to that market, it benefits everyone in multiple ways: it makes it much easier to stay synchronized between your devices, offering a "better" OS for the tablet that supports the installation of full software that you may use everyday versus running a Remote Desktop to be able to use that software, and a larger amount of support/creation of software for that device. By Windows having a bigger market, more developers will be interested in developing for it.

From the development side, I am very excited for that. Windows 8 supports a wide variety of languages for their desktop software including HTML 5. The API has also improved along side of that. I am very excited to try out Vis Studio 11 the first chance I get, hopefully it hits MSDN soon.

---------- Post added 2011-09-14 at 10:34 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by TheGiant89 View Post
    Edit: To those of you saying the Metro UI is just a new start menu to broaden the Windows user-base. I have two questions.

1. Why then when I click the Windows Button on my desktop am I taken to the Metro UI instead of getting the normal start menu.

2. Broaden the Windows userbase? It already has the largest market share by far, and the audience they are going after with metro surely are windows users already, that wont be changing OS's until the purchase of a new computer.
    Read my post. There is nothing wrong with having more customers. Competition is good and people like choices so having an OS that you can say is the same across their tablet/computer/laptop is an excellent selling point. Having everything easy to sync like they currently have is extremely beneficial. You can't go wrong with easier sharing.

Thought I'd drop this here if anyone that wants to try Windows 8 out, hasn't already...

http://lifehacker.com/5840387/how-to...8-side-by-side
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

The days of the desktop dominating the computer world are finally coming to a close. Tablet gaming will be the future.

It's only the natural progression of things.
    Last edited by Kaeleena; 2011-09-15 at 12:57 AM.
    Vanilla WoW was a diamond in the rough. Burning Crusade cleared the rough away and polished that diamond up. During Lich King, that diamond cracked from being over polished and in Cataclysm that diamond was replaced with a cubic zirconia.

Quote Originally Posted by I stand in fire View Post
    There is so much about Windows 8 that really irks me. Like in many ways it's ripping off apple, it's pretty much giving desktop and laptop users the bird with it's UI that's built for tablets and phones. If I wanted my computer to look and work like a tablet, I'll buy a fucking tablet.

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...ws-windows-8/1

Windows 8 Download
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516

Windows 8 Tweaks
    Enable the old start menu
    I hate tablets so much and it is terrible that they are catering to make such a bad choice.

PCs and Laptops >>>>> tablets

Tablets are such a terrible idea made popular by hipsters and stupid people.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaeleena View Post
    Tablet gaming will be the future.\
    No, clearly mobile phone gaming will be the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewote View Post
    No, clearly mobile phone gaming will be the future.
    They tried that already it didn't work. I hate to say it but Microsoft has been setting this up for a long time. They've been bottlenecking graphics at the DX API for a while making desktop PCs relatively obsolete. Sure you get the performance benefits of having 10x more power than necessary, but you can still play the game on a much smaller system. It's actually ingenious of them.
    Last edited by Kaeleena; 2011-09-15 at 01:08 AM.
    Vanilla WoW was a diamond in the rough. Burning Crusade cleared the rough away and polished that diamond up. During Lich King, that diamond cracked from being over polished and in Cataclysm that diamond was replaced with a cubic zirconia.

It's called the "Microsoft Circle of Life" not really I just thought it was a good discription for it.

Windows ME - won't even comment
    Windows XP - Great
    Windows Vista - horrible
    Windows 7 - What Vista should have been.
    Windows 8 - I hear bad things
    Windows 9 - My guess is that it will be good they will just finish Windows 8 just like they did with Vista and Windows 7.

ME was just incomlpete version of XP, Vista was the incomlpete version of 7 and 8 will probably be the incomplete version of 9. Microsoft should learn from their past mistakes and instead of trying to force out a new OS every 3 years just release a new good OS every 6 years. that way people look forward to the new OS rather than dread them.

as for stealing ideas from MAC/linux why not if it's better do it.