Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by I stand in fire View Post
    apparently, the good old standard "desktop" is an app, a fucking after thought. That doesn't make me feel any better.
    They show off both uis because they are coming out with a windows phone and tablet which will run off the windows 8 tablet ui. Considering the ui is designed for touch screens which desktops dont really work with I dont think you need to fret

Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    Even better, the old start menu.

http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-8...sic-start-menu

Has anyone found working synaptics touchpad drivers that are the generic ones? Lenovo's work okay, but they lack chiral scrolling.

I thought they were getting rid of the whole "regedit" stuff and the registry hives on 8. Did I get it wrong or am I just confused?

It looks like a decent tablet OS. Unfortunately, a tablet OS does not work as a desktop OS.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/gra...l-to-directx/1

It's already been crippled. A modern desktop PC is able to perform at much higher levels than modern games are needed to play. Microsoft intentionally created a bottleneck at the DX API in order to push development onto tablets, which will also be able to run the newest available versions of DX11, albeit without 100+ FPS.

When you control developer's access to drivers by creating a universally used architecture, you can control the direction of development.
    Last edited by Kaeleena; 2011-09-15 at 02:04 AM.
    Vanilla WoW was a diamond in the rough. Burning Crusade cleared the rough away and polished that diamond up. During Lich King, that diamond cracked from being over polished and in Cataclysm that diamond was replaced with a cubic zirconia.

Since tablets usually come with the os preinstalled and desktops you have to buy the os and with windows its usually 200-300 dollars a pop I really dont see them crippling the desktop market. Please stop the doom and gloom when all signs point to your opinion being very much incorrect miss kaeleena

Quote Originally Posted by Vampyrr View Post
    Since tablets usually come with the os preinstalled and desktops you have to buy the os and with windows its usually 200-300 dollars a pop I really dont see them crippling the desktop market. Please stop the doom and gloom when all signs point to your opinion being very much incorrect miss kaeleena
    It's not a doom and gloom prediction. It's already the case. If you have a high end PC and your playing games that run on DX, you're already bottlenecked at DX.
    Vanilla WoW was a diamond in the rough. Burning Crusade cleared the rough away and polished that diamond up. During Lich King, that diamond cracked from being over polished and in Cataclysm that diamond was replaced with a cubic zirconia.

15+ Year Old Account
    I didn't see it in the thread (hope I didn't just miss it), but how much space does a Win8 install require? I'm downloading it now and I'm curious how large of a VM I should create for it.

Something like 14GB installed with the dev tools.

Deleted
    windows 8 will be vista version 2 i think i think the UI looks awful and im not paying $500 or however much they want it, wont be worth using for about a year after release anyway cos of all the bugs it will have, but if its like vista it will just suck and i dnt just mean UI wise

15+ Year Old Account
    Guess I'll make the VM 20GB to be safe.

Deleted
    9-10GB for the 32-bit install (no dev tools).

15+ Year Old Account
    lol at all of the blind hate because of an optional UI change.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post
    lol at all of the blind hate because of an optional UI change.
    Not really an optional UI change. The tablet UI is the base and the Classic Windows style is actually the optional UI instead of the other way around.

The major issue is, how long before the classic UI isn't offered as an option anymore?

Small first impressions of Windows 8:
    + Trendy(Albeit its not really that great of a +)
    + It seems to be a pretty fast OS! [I'll probably analyze this later]
    + Tons of information on the new layouts- in a minimalistic view
    + Login screen feels so much more personal now.
    + Things have potential to be accessed a lot faster without cluttering the desktop.
    + The start button is essential now, like alt+tab. Multi-monitor style stuff makes everything much more organized(in my head)
    -Lack of customization of the windows 'task' screen. I want to change the colours, and theme.
    - The new navigation ribbons are fairly clunky - for no reason - Windows 7 ribbon was better.
    - There should be an option to disable the start menu button at the traditional screen. It's really annoying for me now with the windows button being instant.
    - The 'task' screen's apps should close when you hit 'esc'
    - The 'task' screen feels clunky in it's grid system... it involves 3(?) different grids rather than one large and wide one. Customization in this grid system should be allowed.
    Most of my comments shouldn't involve bugs, as those are obviously things to be 'fixed'

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    well i'd post a SS, but i cant seem to find paint
    Dude is your PC REAL :P ? (from ur sig)
    "Next-Gen" is only a marketing label and not an actual advancement in the Graphics side of games, so quit fooling yourself.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaeleena View Post
    Not really an optional UI change. The tablet UI is the base and the Classic Windows style is actually the optional UI instead of the other way around.
    I can shut down Metro. I cannot shut down the 'classic style'.

Original Image: http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/4296/47215360.png

[User has received an infraction for an oversized image. - Cilraaz]
    Last edited by Cilraaz; 2011-09-15 at 03:56 AM.

Not a fan of the explorer ribbon, it is taking up too much space for what it does. Also not a fan of it being 2 clicks to hibernate anymore. Really looking forward to some battery life benchmarks though, I finally have drivers installed for all but 2 devices.

I really dislike the UI for me it really does look terrible and more suited to a phone or tablet.

It's good you can change it to windows 7 but I'm struggling to see why I should upgrade from windows 7 as I haven't had any problems with it, I like the set-up and is relatively quick.

I installed it yesterday under VMWare Fusion 4. What should I say... the Metro interface does have a few nice features and its probably not bad for Smartphones/Tablets.
    Still, I have absolutely no idea why they push it to a desktop, it makes *absolutely* no sense there... Also, the interface is a great example on how to waste the screen estate (Ribbons on the Explorer etc.). So far, not impressed.

And I could not find the turn off button - had to log out for a "turn the pc off" option to appear?!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    My initial impression after getting through 2 minutes of a youtube video before I wanted to do something else, like watch paint dry:

Looks retarded. It's the same interface as windows 7 with some pointless overlay for touchpads. Looks like they tried to combine the two into some horrific, inefficient mess of garbage.

It looks like a waste of time and money at this point.
    And you are a mod why? Prob. should listen to the other "mod" before spewing your crap.

so far I like it, gonna bring a touch screen LCD in to see how it works with that.