Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkXale View Post
    It uses less, actually. Current RAM usage of my VM installation a couple of minutes after boot with no special configurations is at 265MB.
    32 or 64 bit?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    32 or 64 bit?
    32-bit variant. 64-bit will use more. More idle time has pushed the use to 235mb.
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2011-09-18 at 01:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sazdek View Post
    Lets call it Windows Reacharound™
    Yes, the usability is horrible.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Kinda stupid that it won't run on VMWare Workstation 7.
    red panda red panda red panda!

It's horrible? Personally, I found it a little confusing at first, but I haven't tampered around much in it yet, simply because I can't recall the password for the router, so I can't connect to the internet in Windows 8.

I think that there should be a Home version with the normal interface, Mobile version with the Metro interface and an Ultimate version with both interfaces.
    An attempt to force the metro interface on the regular users would fail miserably.

I think that sort of restriction is silly. Instead they should just ask you upright when you install the OS or start it for the first time.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    I think that there should be a Home version with the normal interface, Mobile version with the Metro interface and an Ultimate version with both interfaces.
    An attempt to force the metro interface on the regular users would fail miserably.
    Or have a wizard where you can pick your default interface during setup, afterwhich it gives you easy instructions on how to switch between them?

Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    Or have a wizard where you can pick your default interface during setup, afterwhich it gives you easy instructions on how to switch between them?
    Exactly (what I just said)!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Exactly (what I just said)!
    Sorry, you do not exist anymore.

I know I want to have the metro interface accessible to use my computer as a stereo anyone can hit play on without blowing up my computer otherwise. Although the U2311H isn't a touchscreen monitor...

10+ Year Old Account
    Note to Microsoft, if I wanted to own a mac tablet I would just buy one. Please stop trying to make my PC into a gawd damned mac!

Quote Originally Posted by Kilarea View Post
    Note to Microsoft, if I wanted to own a mac tablet I would just buy one. Please stop trying to make my PC into a gawd damned mac!
    Note to Kilarea, you should probably actually try Win8.

15+ Year Old Account
    REVELATION TIME!!

Apple creates OSX's interface... Apple works off of it to an extent to create iOS. Iphone explodes in popularity. OSX slowly starts turning into iOS.

Microsoft sits on the Win95 formula for years and years, even in WinMo. Microsoft creates the Metro UI on the Zune. Carries over to WP7. Windows slowly gains the Metro UI, starting with custom skins by 3rd party users, then Windows 8.

Totally calling Linux taking off when Google releases an Android desktop OS. xD

It's a bit like multiplayer. It was a nice perk as things went on, but a certain few games really buzzed it up to nearly must-have status.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    It's a bit like multiplayer. It was a nice perk as things went on, but a certain few games really buzzed it up to nearly must-have status.
    And now people wont buy games without it. Kinda sucks, I enjoy single player games most of the time.

I will upgrade to Win8 without a doubt, however I will wait a month or so to make sure all video drivers are released and all early bugs are fixed. From demos I have seen they showed that Win8 uses less system resources than Win7 also boots faster etc, for me that's a good reason to upgrade, and ofc there will be "hacks" that change registry settings to disable even more useless stuff, which means even more power for me and my games I will try the Metro UI, but I have a feeling that it wont be as fast and convenient like the classic one.

15+ Year Old Account
    As long as driver developers aren't lazy like they were when Vista came out, directly contributing to why people hated it, Win8 should have excellent support on launch. Especially with the Dev preview out already. Extensive open beta testing really helped Win7.

Deleted
    I am still using windows xp lol

Quote Originally Posted by TheGiant89 View Post
    Running Win 8 on my 4 year old laptop at the moment, and surprised how smooth it is running. It boots really quickly as well. Still, Metro is annoying as all heck. When I click the start button I want the start menu, not an entire screen that is designed for a touch device. I have a tablet, I don't need my desktop to become one. I know I can switch to the standard desktop, but to me its as if its standard desktop is an afterthought to them. I found a registry edit that pretty does away with metro but it pretty much turns the OS into Win 7, so why should I upgrade?

One more thing, Apps? Really? Why cant we call them applications or programs. I doubt I will be upgrading to Windows 8 based on what it is in this early stage.

Edit: To those of you saying the Metro UI is just a new start menu to broaden the Windows user-base. I have two questions.

1. Why then when I click the Windows Button on my desktop am I taken to the Metro UI instead of getting the normal start menu.

2. Broaden the Windows userbase? It already has the largest market share by far, and the audience they are going after with metro surely are windows users already, that wont be changing OS's until the purchase of a new computer.
    Simple, 1. You have an unfinished developer build that is not polished nor nearly ready for release.
    2. You don't understand the "niché". Windows 8 is about providing connectivity, productivity and efficiency between all devices, something that at the moment is a bit of a complicated facet of personal and business life what with many phone OS, portable computer OS and desktop OS. And alongside that - different versions of such.

I think its clear here they are trying to eventually adopt an operating system that is robust enough to allow cross platform/device integration with minimal fuss from the end user.

That's my astute observation, no source.

---------- Post added 2011-09-18 at 07:54 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kaeleena View Post
    The days of the desktop dominating the computer world are finally coming to a close. Tablet gaming will be the future.

It's only the natural progression of things.
    Actually its completely unnatural. Tablets are gimmicks.

True gaming requires tactile peripherals like gaming mice and physical keyboards. Long discussions have been had on this, including productivity assessments regarding the actual efficiency of tablets vs laptops and desktops and there are two very clear winners. Tablets are a niché, and are not looking to expand out of that niché.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugo Moll View Post
    Consider this philosophical question: If Blizz fails, but noone is there to see it. Will there still be QQ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sackman View Post
    Actually its completely unnatural. Tablets are gimmicks.

True gaming requires tactile peripherals like gaming mice and physical keyboards. Long discussions have been had on this, including productivity assessments regarding the actual efficiency of tablets vs laptops and desktops and there are two very clear winners. Tablets are a niché, and are not looking to expand out of that niché.
    I'm going to put this bluntly: gamers aren't important. It's even more of a niche than tablets are (see tablets' adoption amongst everything from airlines to boardroom executives). Mobile computing is obviously the way of the future, regardless of whether or not the particular form factor is going to a laptop, smartphone, tablet, or something else. Both Windows and Apple, with Win8 and Lion respectively, have made a large bet on the future of mobile computing by implementing smartphone and tablet-inspired UI elements into their operating system. You may not like the way computing is going, but complaining about its efficiency and calling it a niche market (when you're a gamer... really?) is just wasted breath.