Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    I'm going to put this bluntly: gamers aren't important.
    Sad but true.

We like to think we are important though.
    red panda red panda red panda!

Quote Originally Posted by Aphorism View Post
    Mobile computing is obviously the way of the future
    Not really. The way of the future is a combination of everything.
    We had laptops for the past +20 years and the desktops haven't disappeared yet.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2011-09-18 at 07:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    Not really. The way of the future is a combination of everything.
    We had laptops for the past +20 years and the desktops haven't disappeared.
    Then why are mobile device revenues, data usage, and share of the overall computing market growing at a pace that vastly outstrips traditional desktops and laptops? Every major technology firm has made serious bets on mobile computing for a reason.

Then why are mobile device revenues, data usage, and share of the overall computing market growing at a pace that vastly outstrips traditional desktops and laptops? Every major technology firm has made serious bets on mobile computing for a reason.
    Because these devices are "interesting" and sell well. But at the end they can't fully replace a desktop.

This thread astounds me... The Windows 8 Metro look was first unveiled in June... It's now September. Microsoft has been getting its ass kicked in the tablet/phone market, this is their way of trying to even the playing field. If anyone had bothered to watch any of the demos they'd also know that you can shell out to the Windows 7 desktop for non Metro apps.

Stuff takes some time to adopt, give it time and this will be what people are looking for in their desktops as well as mobile devices.

Deleted
    Then why are mobile device revenues, data usage, and share of the overall computing market growing at a pace that vastly outstrips traditional desktops and laptops?
    Market stagnation. You simply cannot grow at the same rates forever. Its a basic economic concept that surprisingly many economists seem to forget. Penetration of more capable portable systems is still low (and that of course does make it tempting).
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2011-09-18 at 08:17 PM.

This is extremely unimportant.

"Casual gaming" has really taken off recently, but for anything outside of a very specific sphere of gaming requires precise peripherals, which mobile devices lack entirely at this point.

Deleted
    According to what I saw on videos the entire Windows 8 tablet UI seems to be only an app, an extension of some sort over normal Windows UI.

I too obviously hate the tablet UI (consdering that I use Windows on my laptop and PC) but it seems to be only... Something like the side bar in Windows Vista (and I think it's in Win7 too) that I have never ever used.

Because these devices are "interesting" and sell well. But at the end they can't fully replace a desktop.
    At the moment, maybe, but if the Win8 initiative works we'll see a lot less difference between tablets and a desktop OS; after all, your Win8 tablet will be able to run the same software that your desktop can. They can browse the web, watch and store media, and do just about anything short of professional-grade computing tasks (like video encoding). They aren't good for gamers, but as I said earlier, why are gamers relevant?

Now, a caveat - I think smartphones are probably more important than tablets in the longrun, because they have even more functionality as a phone on top of their potential to have desktop-level computing capabilities. Their status as an all-in-one device for most consumers is very, very attractive.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkXale View Post
    Market stagnation. You simply cannot grow at the same rates forever. Its a basic economic concept that surprisingly many economists seem to forget. Penetration of more capable portable systems is still low (and that of course does make it tempting).
    There's still some growth so we aren't completely saturated, but I think we're reaching a point where traditional computing devices (laptops, desktops) will stop seeing growth or decline because mobile devices offer a superior experience for consumers.

At the moment, maybe, but if the Win8 initiative works we'll see a lot less difference between tablets and a desktop OS; after all, your Win8 tablet will be able to run the same software that your desktop can.
    You mean like virtual machines using 2GB RAM each ?

There's still some growth so we aren't completely saturated, but I think we're reaching a point where traditional computing devices (laptops, desktops) will stop seeing growth or decline because mobile devices offer a superior experience for consumers.
    You're really showing how you're not exactly familiar as to why most devices suck for anything but very casual games specifically designed for those platforms.

Any ETA on Windows 8's release? I know it might be a ways off, but for this holiday season I think I'm using all my gift money to buy a windows phone, and if say Windows 8 was coming out in February, I'd wait till then, and buy the new Windows 8 Phone
    Intruders detected. Primary defense matrix initiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    If I could sleep next to a running vacuum cleaner, I woudn't care. I cannot, therefore, I care.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by OmnitronDefenseSystem View Post
    Any ETA on Windows 8's release? I know it might be a ways off, but for this holiday season I think I'm using all my gift money to buy a windows phone, and if say Windows 8 was coming out in February, I'd wait till then, and buy the new Windows 8 Phone
    I'd say around 10-12 months.

Windows 8 has yet to enter Beta, and there is also the Release Candidate, finally followed by the RTM period, before it actually becomes available in stores.

Btw, I figured out how to turn off the Windows 8 boot-loader... I set preferred OS to Windows 7.

You mean like virtual machines using 2GB RAM each ?
    Grats, cherry picking computing tasks that are irrelevant to 95% of consumers. If you want to run a virtual machine, yeah, you should probably stick with a desktop for now. If you're like every other consumer, though, you're much more interested in running Quickbooks, Excel, Word, or an IDE than you are in running a virtual machine.

P.S. There are smartphones - smartphone, not tablet - with 1GB RAM. It's not so far off.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    You're really showing how you're not exactly familiar as to why most devices suck for anything but very casual games specifically designed for those platforms.
    Again, I don't think games are important (if that's what you're referring to). People who play Crysis are not representative of typical consumers.

I don't give a damn about gamers here either. You're misunderstanding if you think so.

Name me exactly one reason you should use a mobile device if you're not moving once a frigging minute.

Btw, I figured out how to turn off the Windows 8 boot-loader... I set preferred OS to Windows 7.
    Does that allow you to still pick W8 when booting without an extra reboot or does it reboot into W8 bootloader?

Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    Does that allow you to still pick W8 when booting without an extra reboot or does it reboot into W8 bootloader?
    Dun' know. Haven't tested, since I don't have any reason to boot into Windows 8 if I don't have the router's password and can connect to interwebs. :P

P.S. There are smartphones - smartphone, not tablet - with 1GB RAM. It's not so far off.
    ARM is still too slow for a regular OS with heavy multitasking and virtualization.

I don't give a damn about gamers here either. You're misunderstanding if you think so.

Name me exactly one reason you should use a mobile device if you're not moving once a frigging minute.
    Because you don't need to synchronize files with a file server computer or Dropbox if you just use one device for everything? Because you don't even really need to own the other device if your mobile is good enough for your usage?

ARM is still too slow for a regular OS with heavy multitasking and virtualization.
    Processor speed will never increase. Ever. That would be ludicrous. ARM may see its market share decline, too; Intel has announced that it's merging its Atom and Core teams under a single design infrastructure. This isn't because they think their mobile processors are less important now. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on a Haswell tablet.
    Last edited by Meleti; 2011-09-18 at 10:15 PM.