Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    Some jobs are pretty dangerous or degrading I would be okay if people decided to turn them down even with no job.

For example:

1. Striping for cash
    2. Military / Mercenary
    3. Drug dealer / Prostitute (Still a job even if illegal)
    4. NY taxi driver..... (Half serious)

There are other jobs that over time will harm your health such as.

1. Miner (black lung disease)

I think it's fine to work in fast food though, although you probably can't survive on the low income for too long...
    I would accept stripping or prostitution in a heart beat, altho I'm a guy and not really a stud so, not gonna get it

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah i totally agree i have been in the "ITS A JOB" situation. Went from making 70+ a year to less than 20k a year just as a part time thing. Kept me busy and hell i had fun doing it Take life 1 day at a time and totally enjoy it

Quote Originally Posted by beanburrito View Post
    I've met a revolting hipster who mocked me for being a newspaper deliverer for 3 years, and he has no job at all. He has the same shit mentality you're describing, he thinks he's too good for 'low class' jobs. I hate these people. Without people performing 'low class' jobs, rich people wouldn't have all their luxuries. There would be no Mcdonalds. No Newspaper on your front lawn. No one picking up your garbage. Yeah, Pisses me off too.
    ^ and that hipster's mentality is what's ruining and furthering the unemployment rate in America right now sadly.

Also, to those who think they're too good for some jobs: Why WOULDN'T you get a low income job, make money, and continue searching for your desired job? Seems like a smart idea to me
    Well if you are collecting unemployment benefits this is a bad idea. The current minimum wage is $7.25 in the US (I believe, feel free to double check).

So $7.25 at 40 hours per week is $290. The average person on unemployment collects 35% of their previous salary, so for myself that would be around $500 per week. That's 50% more then I would get working in a minimum wage job!

As you can see, in my case it would be better to collect unemployment rather then get a minimum wage job. (Different story if you can't find a new job before the benefits run out)
    Last edited by Purlina; 2011-09-14 at 03:41 PM.

Most people have standards. After graduating from college I was looking at fast food/retail jobs as well as actual computer programming jobs. Even looked at tech support call center jobs. I needed a job with a paycheck and even if it was working at McDonalds for minimum wage, I'd take the job and just keep looking for something different while working there. As it was I lucked out and got a great job as a programmer, so I was happy.

Still, there are some jobs I just wouldn't take. I will NEVER work as a cashier at Wal-Mart again. I'll work stock room or sales floor, but not a cashier. Did that for 2 months and was miserable. Target, on the other hand, I had no problem working as a cashier.
    Author of Instance Profit Tracker
    Find out how much gold you earn soloing raids and dungeons

Curse | GitHub
    WowInterface

It's thank to "low class" jobs that our world keeps going on.
    Anyway, I'm a music teacher and a session man forced to do a "normal" job in order to being able to buy an apartament, I'm used to travel around my country and outside my country, I'm used tour with bands and now I'm behind an office desk, cool isn't it?
    Nowadays I wouldn't be picky about the jobs you find, I prefer to earn something than starving.

15+ Year Old Account
    Big Difference between a "Job" and a "Career"

one of the things about jobs is you should always be moving foward in them, my dad dug trenches for a year as volunteer work, he worked at a crappy shipping factory, he worked at a liquor store, THEN went to college. you shouldn`t just go "i`m going to work at mcdonald`s and never look elsewhere" because "it`s a job", though =]

Deleted
    I've met a revolting hipster who mocked me for being a newspaper deliverer for 3 years, and he has no job at all. He has the same shit mentality you're describing, he thinks he's too good for 'low class' jobs. I hate these people. Without people performing 'low class' jobs, rich people wouldn't have all their luxuries. There would be no Mcdonalds. No Newspaper on your front lawn. No one picking up your garbage. Yeah, Pisses me off too.
    The irony is that assuming all else is equal or nearly so, you'll have a much easier time finding a job than he will in just about any profession.

It's all well and fine to suggest that people should take any job that's available, but the fact is that a lot of people have kids, mortgages and cars that cost money simply by existing. Not everyone can live in their parent's basement or a college dorm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sitting behind a desk every day writing software has its perks, but I'd be lying if I said I don't occasionally fantasize about having a more physically active job - even if it were fast food or retail stock.

Of course, then I remember that I used to do that stuff too, and a lot of customers are rude, impatient, self-absorbed pricks. I don't miss that part.

Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    It's all well and fine to suggest that people should take any job that's available, but the fact is that a lot of people have kids, mortgages and cars that cost money simply by existing. Not everyone can live in their parent's basement or a college dorm.
    You also can't survive on minimum wage if you have a medical condition that requires any expensive surgery / medication (Insurance is not going to cover everything).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by marcusgeorge View Post
    Post about jobs in the main section and really.a job is a dam job no matter if its workin for microsoft making 70 billion a year or workin at McDonalds making min wage...seriously id rather have a min wage job than no job at all

End mini rant have a nice day =)
    I can honestly say that I've had jobs in the past that I would go back in time and kick my own ass for taking.

---------- Post added 2011-09-14 at 04:07 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    You also can't survive on minimum wage if you have a medical condition that requires any expensive surgery / medication (Insurance is not going to cover everything).
    You can't survive on minimum wage if you partake in many regular life expenses like health insurance and transportation. You can however, live a sub-normal life on minimum.

Most people that have full-time minimum wage jobs need government assistance just to make ends meet. True story.

Deleted
    Being a bread stacker is worse than no job.. in the giant machine(room) its 60 degrees C and even trough gloves your hands are full of scars in 2 hours.